Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

View Poll Results: How do you pack?
Open Carry 17 10.69%
Concealed Carry 142 89.31%
Voters: 159. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 29, 2007, 06:31 PM   #1
MyXD40

Open Carry Vs. Concealed carry

when you're packing, are you open carry, or concealed?

It's rare if I conceal, that said, yes, I open carry pretty much 24/7.
Old September 29, 2007, 06:34 PM   #2
ghalleen

Concealed

I don't need the extra attention open carry causes.

Additionally, in my state there are places where open carry is prohibited, but concealed carry is permitted. Schools and hospitals, for example.
Old September 29, 2007, 06:36 PM   #3
dwatts47

This poll only applies to the limited number of states that allow open carry, right??
Old September 29, 2007, 06:41 PM   #4
MyXD40

applys to anyone who decides to open carry vs. conceal. Or conceal vs. open carry.
Old September 29, 2007, 06:44 PM   #5
Bill DeShivs

Open carry in public is rude and shows a lack of class. Sorry, but that's how I see it.
It takes little to conceal a weapon.
Old September 29, 2007, 06:47 PM   #6
dwatts47

+1 to neg. on open carry.

Thats really for if your job requires it.
Old September 29, 2007, 07:06 PM   #7
mattro

IMO, open carry removes a ton of tactical advantage. If the puke in the convenient store is gonna rob the place, the last thing I want him to know is that I am carrying, until I am ready for him to know.

There is heated debate about this, and I know alot of people feel open carry gives up no tactical advantage, and that is fine for them. For me, I want every ounce of advantage I can get. The few times my oc would change a pukes plans, vs the tactical advantage I loose is not a good trade to me.

A hostage situation is EXTREMELY rare, but does happen. The tactical advantage to cc is obvious.

The bad guy knows he is gonna do something bad before you know he is, so if he sees your open carry and carries through with his plans, you are toast.
Old September 29, 2007, 07:06 PM   #8
Wildalaska

+1 on Bills comments

WildihavesaidthatbeforeAlaska TM
Old September 29, 2007, 07:14 PM   #9
Eghad

Keep em guessing....does he or doesn't he.

My CHL instructor who is also a veteran law enforcment officer said to tell them you just happened to have a gun shaped tumor if its just a regular joe asking.

NRA Life Member
Old September 29, 2007, 07:19 PM   #10
VA9mm

If I choose to go a restaurant with an ABC license the only option is open carry or leave my gun in the car. Concealing is illegal in a restaurant that serves alcohol. So yes I will open carry in that situation even if it's considered rude or shows a lack of class.

If I'm hunting as well.
Old September 29, 2007, 07:22 PM   #11
Bill DeShivs

I can understand it a particular circumstance like that, but general open carry is rude.
Old September 29, 2007, 07:24 PM   #12
mattro

I DO NOT (revised, oops) think oc is rude. I dont care what other people think. And in the great state of Indiana there is no threat of persecution. I have oc's at a 2 police stations.

Last edited by mattro; September 29, 2007 at 08:08 PM.
Old September 29, 2007, 07:42 PM   #13
MyXD40

I can't believe how many people are against open carry..I would figure it'd be nearly half and half (being not all states are OC)
Old September 29, 2007, 07:55 PM   #14
tomh1426

I OC every day
I started to open carry because it is legal in my state
I never CCW because it is not legal unless you have a ccw which I dont
Old September 29, 2007, 07:56 PM   #15
JohnKSa
Staff

I like the option of being able to respond WHEN I want and IF I want as opposed to being forced to respond as soon as things start happening.

I also like to have the element of surprise as an option.

I also like the fact that in all the years of carrying, I've never been hassled by the cops, had anyone call the police on me or been asked to leave an establishment because I'm carrying.

And last but not least, I wouldn't open carry for the same reasons I don't put NRA stickers on my vehicle, don't wear gun logoed clothing (except to the range) or post "I own guns" signs in front of my house.

It's not legal here, but if it were it wouldn't change a thing for me.
Old September 29, 2007, 08:44 PM   #16
Dave R

Agree with Bill.

Besides, open carry may in some cases be a tactical disadvantage. You become the first target.
Old September 29, 2007, 08:57 PM   #17
rampage841512

The law requires I conceal in 99% of the places I carry, so I'm almost always carrying concealed. I occasionally carry open around the house, but I'm so used to carrying concealed that that is how I usually do it even at home.
Old September 29, 2007, 09:22 PM   #18
ghalleen

Quote:
If I choose to go a restaurant with an ABC license the only option is open carry or leave my gun in the car. Concealing is illegal in a restaurant that serves alcohol. So yes I will open carry in that situation even if it's considered rude or shows a lack of class.
I've not sure what "ABC license" is?

The laws around alcohol vary widely from state to state. In my state, for example, there are only a couple places I cannot carry concealed: Federal property (post offices, airports), courthouses, and tribal property.

That said, I think only a fool carries where people are drinking. Restaurants excluded.
Old September 29, 2007, 09:51 PM   #19
Tanzer

1. Why not also wear a T-shirt with a taget on it that says; Shoot me first?
2. How nervous do you make the others at the supermarket? Doesn't this bother you?
Old September 30, 2007, 11:23 AM   #20
Thunderhawk88

Quote:
Open carry in public is rude and shows a lack of class. Sorry, but that's how I see it.
+1....and IMO, open carry is just compensation for other shortages.
Old September 30, 2007, 11:41 AM   #21
bikerbill

I always carry concealed, except on my own property. My understanding of the law in Texas is that if the establishment makes more than half its income from booze, you can't carry. If I'm going to a nice restaurant, I take my gun. If the wife and I are going to a bar and grill for a burger, it stays in the car.

An important caveat to this ... IMHO, if you plan to drink even one beer, leave your gun at home. Defending yourself in court in connection with a shooting if you have alcohol in your system can't be fun. Of course, neither is getting shot ... just my personal preference.

------<
Liberty, once lost, is lost forever ... John Adams
Old September 30, 2007, 11:54 AM   #22
ghalleen

Quote:
Open carry in public is rude and shows a lack of class. Sorry, but that's how I see it. It takes little to conceal a weapon.
I agree
Old September 30, 2007, 11:57 AM   #23
Kreyzhorse

I always carry concealed. I've open carried a few times during hunting season but generally even try to refrain from that. It clearly makes most people nervous so I figure why bring any more attention to myself.
Old September 30, 2007, 12:01 PM   #24
mordis

God i cant beileve im the only person to say this yet in this thread but here goes.

All you anti OC people out there, please post links and cites of CITIZENS not leos but citzens, being target number one or shot first becuase they open carried. I know it happens to cops, but they intentionaly go after the worst in society, citizens dont. So please provide a legit citiing and link of a CITIZEN that was shot first for open carry. I has to be a citizen no leo cites.

Sure i give up the percived element of surprise, but i gain the ability to draw my gun alot faster then when im concealed. And with open carry, im not restricted to reduced capacity pocket pistols in substandard calibers, or trying to find a way to becomfortable while cc any of the autopistols with more then 10 rounds in the mag.

I still believe that oc is a deterent to crime. As a armed security officer, i have to oc, and i know from some experiances that it deteres crime. NO i dont believe it had anything to do with the uniform and as a SO im nothing more then a citizen in a nice blue(sometimes) shirt. I believe that those that oc are basicly free armed security for the establishment they are currently patronizing.

In the end the only thing that matters is that agree or dissagree with oc, you should support the right of the individual to choose which method carry is best for them selvs, we are all on the same side.
Old September 30, 2007, 12:19 PM   #25
VA9mm

In Virginia it's the Virginia Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control. They issue licenses to sell alcohol in an establishment.