The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 31, 2016, 04:20 PM   #1
JACKlangrishe

Pull through bore cleaner for my '60 Army

Picked up some trimmer line, also known as weed wacker (or Weed Eater line), to make a pull through cleaner for the barrel of my '60 Army. Old habits die hard and I found myself wanting to use a bore snake, breech to muzzle, instead of a cleaning rod. With my luck I'll be the first person to ding the crown with an aluminum rod, and I'm good at not pulling through on an angle when using a snake.

Instead of having to clean the bore snake after each use, I figured a fresh patch each time would be a much better option.

Here's the line I picked up- https://www.walmart.com/ip/Universal...-Line/19897964

.080 gague, and not the Weed Eater name brand, but I'm assuming they're both monofilament, correct? Don't want to find out the knockoff brand is made out of something crazy. Made in USA, though.

I plan on melting a large bead on one end to catch the skewered patch and just pull her through.. Either dry, or with isopropyl alcohol, or with my wax/oil mix when putting away. Sound good?

Last edited by JACKlangrishe; December 31, 2016 at 04:44 PM.
Old December 31, 2016, 05:31 PM   #2
Beagle333

You're going to find a million ways to clean/store one. Nobody does it the same way.

I flush mine out with hot water, then hit it with Windex and few Windex-soaked patches. Then flush again with hot water. Then I put a little Dawn on the bronze brush and give that a couple of swipes. I flush again with good hot water. Then while it's still hot from the bath, I give a quick swab with one dry patch, one wet with 91% alcohol, wait a couple of minutes and then a patch wet with RemOil and finally one dry patch. And she's good. And often the "patches" are just folded sections of paper towel.

'Like I said.... "a million ways."

Happy shooting!
Have a Colt and a smile.

Last edited by Beagle333; January 1, 2017 at 11:49 AM. Reason: spellin
Old December 31, 2016, 05:32 PM   #3
JB60

Good idea , would work great on a 10/22 or Lever Action
Old January 1, 2017, 11:46 AM   #4
Hawg

I soak mine in hot water and use a bore mop.
Old January 3, 2017, 10:05 AM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

I don't like the idea of a boresnake because now you've got this long snake to clean out.

I prefer patches which can then be made into char cloth. Yep, I'm cheap.
Old January 3, 2017, 04:26 PM   #6
Strafer Gott

A bore snake is for guns that don't let you push through the bore. Take the colt apart and push soapy water with a rag up the breech end with a cleaning rod. A bore mop makes it a little less sloppy. Apply a thin coat of Ballistol and let dry.
Also, don't use water too hot to put your hands in. Hot water can cause flash rusting.