The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 27, 2016, 03:31 PM   #1
eastbank

what not to do with a flint lock.

i had made a safety for my flint lock for when i,m going to the hunt and home. it was a large paper clip and one of the legs i bent so i could insert it into the touch hole and the other leg shaped to fit over the fizzen. the problem came about due to the clip being coated with a light coating of rubber, after using it several times when i pulled the clip out of the touch hole the rubber pulled off the clip and stuck in the touch hole. later that morning i had a 25 yard shot at a large bedded doe, the pan went off. as the doe got up i took my pan charger and was going to charge the pan again when i saw the piece of rubber blocking the touch hole. i watched as the doe walked off as pushed the piece of rubber into the main charge and primed again, but was to late to shoot the doe. later i shot the load into a dead stump with no problem. so now my home made safety has no rubber coating. damn it was a very big doe. eastbank.
Old December 27, 2016, 03:49 PM   #2
SIGSHR

Sounds like a Great Idea That Didn't Work. I recommend a hammerstall like we use in RevWar reenacting. Covers the frizzen and is highly visible.
Old December 27, 2016, 06:32 PM   #3
eastbank

oh it works, just not with the rubber coating.my main hunting rifle now is a RMC .50 cal rifle. i have a custom leather frizzen cover on my pedersoli blue ridge.50 cal. i inlarge all my touch holes a little and use fff to prime with. with the big locks and 3/4 black english flints i have very few no goes. today i saw one nice buck and four does together, but no shot. maybe tomorrow. eastbank.
Old December 27, 2016, 07:03 PM   #4
Ricklin

Caps do it too...

I had a similar experience, they tend to move off a little quicker when you are popping caps. I was shooting a T/C Hawken percussion 50 cal.

My only excuse was loading my gun in the back of the van while my buddy was driving. Could not hear the air rushing out the touch hole when I rammed the ball home. I also did not pop a cap prior to loading. Guess that's two mistakes...

Hate when that happens!