The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old May 18, 2015, 04:34 AM   #1
Pond, James Pond

.22 cal suppression with .30 cal can.

I've been toying with the idea of a can on my AR but supply of 1/4x28 threaded suppressor isnot great. I was once advised to get my .308 suppressed and get an adaptor made to fit that on the AR too. That now seems possible to do through a local shop.

My question is just how well it will perform?

If I can get about 30dB reduction for the .308, how well would you expect that same .30 cal suppressor to perform on my .223?
Old May 18, 2015, 07:44 AM   #2
Mobuck

The comments from users are that "there's no noticeable difference" when using a 22 cal can or using a 30 cal can on a 22 cal. I don't have the equipment to determine this.
Overall, I'm very disappointed with the sound reduction of suppressed .223 so maybe I have exaggerated expectations. I can say that sound reduction with a suppressed 300 AAC is far more noticeable than a .223.
My previous experience (long ago and far, far away) with suppressed 22lr and 9mm using government(?) supplied equipment apparently left me with unwarranted goals in sound suppression.
Old May 18, 2015, 08:17 AM   #3
Pond, James Pond

I've read somewhere that a suppressed .223 comes close to an unsuppressed .22LR. I have no idea if that is correct.

I, too, have fired a suppressed .22LR (pistol and rifle) and it is almost film like. The truth is that I have no idea what 30dB sounds like and I have less idea what "X"dB (whatever my AR minus 30dB sounds like!

Either way if it does cut the noise down well, then great. If it does the job as well as a dedicated .22 cal suppressor, then even better.

Can't wait!! Probably get it on friday, although they said it would take the day to thread the rifle barrel.

Order of business:
Thursday drop-off, Friday collect, Weekend fondle, holidays next week shoot!!!
Old May 18, 2015, 10:18 AM   #4
Sharkbite

I run my 30cal can (AAC 762 sdn-6) on a couple 223 cal ARs a bunch. 1 is a 16" gun, the other a 10.5" gun.

The 30cal can works great. Maybe a Db or 2 louder then a true 223 can. Thats a tradeoff im willing to live witb for the versatility.

If i could just walk into a store pay for a can and walk out with it, i might invest in a 223 can. But that would only be for the weight and size savings over the 30cal cans. Sound performance is close enough that it doesn't factor into the equation for me.

With this one can (sdn-6) i use it on two different 223's, 2 different 300blkouts, 1 762x39 and 2 different 308's.

If i get my Marlin 336 barrel threaded, i'll use it on that as well
Old May 18, 2015, 07:26 PM   #5
Bartholomew Roberts

I've got a AAC 762-SDN-6 and an Ops Inc. 16th model in 5.56. Side by side on a 5.56 rifle, the 16th is quieter; but unless you shot them side by side you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. The extra volume of the .30 cans usually more than compensates for the bigger hole (though in this case the 16th model is bigger than the SDN-6).

A suppressed .223 is about as loud as an unsuppressed .22lr, maybe a bit louder if you are shooting the rifle and can hear all the action noise through the stock.
Old May 19, 2015, 11:32 AM   #6
jasonjeep

I have seen it on you tube people using oil filters for suppressing guns I don't know if it works but on TV all that was heard was the hammer hitting
Old August 20, 2015, 11:46 AM   #7
RCT

Quote:
I've been toying with the idea of a can on my AR but supply of 1/4x28 threaded suppressor isnot great. I was once advised to get my .308 suppressed and get an adaptor made to fit that on the AR too. That now seems possible to do through a local shop.

My question is just how well it will perform?

If I can get about 30dB reduction for the .308, how well would you expect that same .30 cal suppressor to perform on my .223?
I have shot a .30 cal and 5.56 can on a Ruger 10/22. It works fine and is quiet. Only issue is the size a weight of these types of cans unbalances the light little 22 big time and as most .30 and 5.56 cans are not user serviceable, they can get crudded up with lead deposits.

https://www.redcircletactical.com/
Old August 22, 2015, 07:27 AM   #8
Mobuck

The "sonic crack" of the HV .223 bullet will be louder than the muzzle blast regardless of whether the muffler is .22 or .30. Suppressed .223 is quite disappointing IMHO.
Old August 23, 2015, 01:43 AM   #9
dakota.potts

Decibels work on a logarithmic scale. I don't remember the exact math, but the common rule of thumb is that every 3dB feels like doubling the sound. According to this chart, 30 dB is the difference between normal level piano practice and a full symphony orchestra.

http://www.a-aservices.com/wp-conten...lenoiselaw.jpg