The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 1, 2020, 05:32 PM   #1
JBB

Bobcat ammo

My apologies if this has been discussed to death already. I just picked up a Beretta 21A in .22 lr and the manual recommended standard velocity ammo. What do you all have good luck with? Thanks in advance. I love those Beretta pocket guns. The’re fat and heavy, but there’s just something about them that I find irresistible..
Old July 1, 2020, 05:58 PM   #2
Kreyzhorse

Mine shoots any thing I feed it. It doesn't however like to be dirty. After a couple of hundred rounds it stops ejecting.

Blow back design, I get it, but if I were suggesting ammo, I'd suggest the cleaner the better. Otherwise, buy what you can and just give it a good cleaning after every range session.
Old July 2, 2020, 12:21 AM   #3
mellow_c

Standard velocity ammo? Hmmmm I may have to give that a try. I’ve just shot CCI mini mags and other generally “high velocity” bull pack ammo out of mine.

Mine has occasional failures to feed, maybe standard velocity ammo would work a little better.

And I agree with Kreyzhorse. Gotta keep it clean. Even bringing a few Qtips to the range with a few drops of oil or cleaner just to quickly clean out the chamber can be enough to keep it running well.

They are really neat little pistols and I expect you’ll be happy with yours.

Just get yourself some CCI standard velocity or Aguila standard velocity and see how it does.
Old July 2, 2020, 01:32 AM   #4
DnPRK

CCI Mini Mags
Old July 2, 2020, 06:34 AM   #5
Doug Ridley

Mini mags
Old July 2, 2020, 08:53 AM   #6
Bozz10mm

For any kind of .22 lr ammo, standard or high velocity, I always prefer CCI. Seems to be the most consistently reliable.
Old July 2, 2020, 12:52 PM   #7
Schlitz 45

I feed my little Bobcat a steady diet of CCI Stingers-100% functional. Anything else & it seems to have hiccups.
Old July 2, 2020, 03:07 PM   #8
Cheapshooter

CCI standard velocity, not Mini Mags if tge manufacturer states use standard velosity. They built it, they have their reason.
Going hotter isn't going to blow your gun up, but may accelerate wear considerbly. Some ammo above standard velocity may not function either. I had that problem with some "hyper" velocity stuff with a light bullet. Not enough "equal and opposite" to push the slide far enough to pick up the next round.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old July 3, 2020, 09:02 AM   #9
1911_Hardball

Mine works flawlessly with anything that isn't made by Federal.