The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Closed Thread

Old June 20, 2020, 04:08 PM   #26
jimku

Reason I am asking is that I was on another forum where one moderator with TDS (Taurus Derangement Syndrome) is on a one-man "Destroy Taurus" mission and who uses his status as a moderator as a bully pulpit to browbeat and intimidate anyone who disagrees with him, that being anyone who posts anything positive about Taurus. Keep arguing with him, regardless of how politely you do so, and he will issue you a formal warning for "being disrespectful". After a certain number of those warnings you will be banned. I contacted the administrator and he is of the same ilk. I have banned that forum from my life, and I hope the same thing doesn't happen here.

Last edited by jimku; June 20, 2020 at 09:36 PM.
Old June 20, 2020, 04:12 PM   #27
ms6852

I'm not a taurus hater as a matter of fact I purchased this 92FS over 38 years ago when I was just a private in the army and it was all I could afford. It's a great da/sa trigger which is spongy but works for me has been very reliable all these decades and never thought about trading it in or selling it. At the time I could not afford the berettas, but now that I have fired some berettas from my friends collection, I see I was not missing much. Could be because it has been broken in nicely.
Old June 20, 2020, 04:17 PM   #28
dmattaponi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimku View Post
Reason I am asking is that I am on another forum where one moderator is on a one-man "Destroy Taurus" mission and who uses his status as a moderator to browbeat and intimidate anyone who disagrees with him, that being anyone who posts anything positive about Taurus. Keep arguing with him, regardless of how politely you do so, and he will issue you a formal warning for "being disrespectful". After a certain number warnings you will be banned. I contacted the administrator and he is of the same ilk. I will no longer participate on that forum, they are a disgrace.

I don’t see what that has to do with this forum. Sounds like you were having a temper tantrum in your original post here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old June 20, 2020, 04:26 PM   #29
jimku

I owned a Taurus 38 snubbie years ago that was flawless and that I really loved. It was stolen in a burglary. I have a Taurus Tracker .41 magnum that is also flawless and that I dearly love.

I recently bought a Taurus 605 357 snubbie. The cylinder would not lock up … checked out fine at my FFL, but when I got home and loaded it with snap caps to give it a good "work out", the problem surfaced. They sent me a pre-paid shipping label, and they have a 12-week turn-around on warranty work. That was three weeks ago.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg AAA TAURUS 425 41 MAG 02.JPG (87.1 KB, 989 views)
File Type: jpg AAA TAURUS 425 41 MAG 01.JPG (74.5 KB, 279 views)
File Type: jpg AAA TAURUS 425 41 MAG 03.JPG (98.1 KB, 5511 views)

Last edited by jimku; June 21, 2020 at 05:39 AM.
Old June 20, 2020, 04:40 PM   #30
jimku

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmattaponi View Post
I don’t see what that has to do with this forum. Sounds like you were having a temper tantrum in your original post here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It doesn't have anything to do with this forum, it is the reason I asked the question that started this thread, and the reason I am coming back to this forum. If being thoroughly fed up with that other forum can be called a "temper tantrum', then yep, I suppose I am having a temper tantrum.

Last edited by jimku; June 20, 2020 at 04:46 PM.
Old June 20, 2020, 06:51 PM   #31
jimku

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms6852 View Post
I'm not a taurus hater as a matter of fact I purchased this 92FS over 38 years ago when I was just a private in the army and it was all I could afford. It's a great da/sa trigger which is spongy but works for me has been very reliable all these decades and never thought about trading it in or selling it. At the time I could not afford the berettas, but now that I have fired some berettas from my friends collection, I see I was not missing much. Could be because it has been broken in nicely.
How do you get photos to show up like this? When I attach photos, all that shows is a dumb link.
Old June 20, 2020, 09:18 PM   #32
Rockhanger

I had a transfer bar break on a Taurus revolver after about 100 rounds
They did fix it and it's fine now,
Just glad I was just shooting at a target when it broke.
Old June 20, 2020, 09:22 PM   #33
jimku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhanger View Post
I had a transfer bar break on a Taurus revolver after about 100 rounds
They did fix it and it's fine now,
Just glad I was just shooting at a target when it broke.
Was it a recent revolver or an older one?
How long did it take them to fix it?
Old June 20, 2020, 09:37 PM   #34
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
How do you get photos to show up like this? When I attach photos, all that shows is a dumb link.
Here are some helpful tips & hints.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=292842
Old June 21, 2020, 12:16 AM   #35
jimku

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnKSa View Post
Here are some helpful tips & hints.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=292842
Nope, nothing in there works. No picture ever displays, just a link thing you have to click on to see the pic.
Old June 21, 2020, 12:17 AM   #36
TruthTellers

Is this specifically about revolvers or semi autos too? I have the Public Defender and an older PT-22 and they both have their quirks, but I'm not willing to say they're junk. The PD has an issue in DA with the trigger getting stuck at times, but the single action unsticks it and never has an issue.

I was thinking about calling them to get it looked at, but with the pandemic I'm not in a huge rush to do that this year.

The PT-22 is a small rimfire pistol and I've yet to find one that runs 100% reliable. It does seem to have more issues than other .22 semi's I have, but I'm thinking it's a magazine issue, but I don't have much desire to spend money on a new mag for a gun I'm probably going to sell anyway. Don't like the long, heavy (yet smooth) DAO trigger.

So, if there's a gun I want that happens to be a Taurus, I don't have any issues buying it, the Taurus brand doesn't turn me away, but when there's what I perceive to be a better gun made by someone else for the not much more money, I'll buy that other brand instead.
Old June 21, 2020, 03:15 AM   #37
JohnKSa
Staff

I went back and edited your post to display the images.

Basically, click on the links for the files you upload, then paste the urls into the popup menu that comes up when you click the icon.
Old June 21, 2020, 04:08 AM   #38
hemiram

My first gun was a Taurus Model 83, and it has held onto the title of worst gun ever. I avoided them like they were radioactive for over 30 years. I finally got a not great, but not bad 809 that was super touchy on ammo. A second 809 was and is the opposite, it eats everything. Several great PT111 G2's followed, and I recently got two more good ones, a PT-92 and an oddball, a 658 8 shot non ported 3" .357. I'm almost at the end of my gun collecting, so I don't know if there will be any more coming along, but the last ones have all been great.
Old June 21, 2020, 05:40 AM   #39
jimku

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnksa View Post
i went back and edited your post to display the images.

Basically, click on the links for the files you upload, then paste the urls into the popup menu that comes up when you click the icon.
thank you so much!!!
Old June 21, 2020, 05:52 AM   #40
jimku

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemiram View Post
My first gun was a Taurus Model 83, and it has held onto the title of worst gun ever. I avoided them like they were radioactive for over 30 years. I finally got a not great, but not bad 809 that was super touchy on ammo. A second 809 was and is the opposite, it eats everything. Several great PT111 G2's followed, and I recently got two more good ones, a PT-92 and an oddball, a 658 8 shot non ported 3" .357. I'm almost at the end of my gun collecting, so I don't know if there will be any more coming along, but the last ones have all been great.
I had a great older 38 Special Taurus snubbie that I loved years ago that was stolen in a burglary. I currently have a .41 magnum Tracker that is about 9 years old that is flawless, accurate, super-nice trigger and that I love and a PT22 that runs flawlessly on CCI mini mag ammo. But I just recently bought a 605 stainless 357 snubbie that checked out fine at the FFL but when I got home and loaded it up with snap caps to give it a good work-out, before long the cylinder stopped locking up. They sent me a prepaid shipping label and sent it in for warranty work, 12-week turnaround. I hope to get back a gun that runs flawlessly, but have seen a lot of horror stories about Taurus warranty work. I do not hate Taurus, every maker has a few lemons, but I am a bit apprehensive about what I might get back.
Old June 21, 2020, 07:20 AM   #41
ms6852

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimku View Post
I use Imgur and transfer my images from my computer to that website.
When you view a selected image you want to post on this forum or any forum to the right of the image a list of editing tools that have image link, direct link, and BBCode(message boards and forums). I use the BBCode and select copy. At the bottom of the list are sizes and depending on the size it allows to select original or small and other sizes. I have an iMac and it also allows me to drag from my library on some forums, some allow it some don't .
Old June 21, 2020, 09:09 AM   #42
CarJunkieLS1

For Taurus semi autos I'll never own another or reccomends one. Their CS is atrocious. For the few Taurus revolvers I've had and shot they are perfectly fine for me and haven't had a single problem. My wife has a Taurus 7 shot 357 mag in her nightstand.

And IMO to have a 12 week turnaround on repair work means their repair department is BUSY and IMO shows very little quality control before guns leave. I understand all firearm makers have QC issues and to me the biggest problem is how Taurus handled my personal CS problem. 7 months later and I still didn't have a working firearm.

I've sent things back to Ruger, Sig Sauer, Mossberg, and Armscor (Rock Island Armory) and I've never paid shipping or paid for repair and received a working, fixed forearm in less than 2 weeks.

Last edited by CarJunkieLS1; June 21, 2020 at 09:15 AM.
Old June 21, 2020, 09:14 AM   #43
stagpanther

I've noticed that the incidence and lethality of chemtrails goes up when I buy a Taurus product. Seriously, I agree that over the years it's a hit-or-miss thing with Taurus--when they are good--they can be very good, when they are bad, that's when you find out there's not any real kind of domestic factory support and your weapon will be in Brazil-and-back purgatory for quite some time.
Old June 21, 2020, 03:52 PM   #44
jimku

As I understand things, Taurus has a new CEO who is fully aware of their image problem and who is committed to turning that around. To me, from my simplistic way of thinking, he only has one thing to resolve. Stop letting their 1 - in - 1000 bad guns from getting shipped out for sale to customers. That creates a horrible quality image as well as an over-load on their warranty repair people, which is currently at a 12 - week turnaround time ... largely due to a backlog of bad guns sold under prior CEOs.
Old June 21, 2020, 04:45 PM   #45
Kreyzhorse

Taurus and their QA stands alone. The mods don't have a bias one way or the other just like you can get a good Taurus or get a bad one.
Old June 21, 2020, 05:02 PM   #46
JERRYS.

the biggest gripe I read regarding current Taurus products is their incredibly terrible customer service. if you get a good one, you got a good one. if you got one with problems it will literally take the turn of several calendar pages and some shipping to and from money out of your pocket before it its fixed.
Old June 21, 2020, 05:14 PM   #47
Double K

I was in the local farm and ranch store today and looked at a couple of the small framed Taurus's , they look pretty darned good but the triggers were terrible compared to Smiths, they had very few due to panic buying so 5 probably isn't a good sample.
Old June 21, 2020, 07:39 PM   #48
Rockhanger

It was a couple years ago.
They had it about 10 weeks if I remember right
Old June 22, 2020, 01:19 AM   #49
artoo

I've got over 13 Taurus revolvers and about as many pistols. Some from the middle 1980s. They are all ticking along just fine.

Most of my other pistols and revolvers are Beretta or Rugers.
Old June 22, 2020, 01:20 AM   #50
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimku
I recently bought a Taurus 605 357 snubbie. The cylinder would not lock up … checked out fine at my FFL, but when I got home and loaded it with snap caps to give it a good "work out", the problem surfaced. They sent me a pre-paid shipping label, and they have a 12-week turn-around on warranty work. That was three weeks ago.
My father had a similar issue, as well as (dangerously) bad timing, with one of their 3" barrel .38 Special J-frame clones in what, at the time, was their "matte blue".

Once it was in Taurus's hands, they told him it was unsafe and that they absolutely would not return it to him. But that model was out of production, so they couldn't replace it.
He demanded a refund. They refused. Pissing contest was born. ('Unstoppable force vs immovable object'; or 'Karen vs Karen' type of thing.)

Long story short... Without his approval, they shipped one of their 7-shot .357 Mag snubbies, in bright chrome (M85 I think), to his FFL and closed the workorder.

Not what he bought. Not what he sent to them. No consent from him. Not the same retail value.
But that's what he was stuck with.

Guess what?

It didn't lock up properly, either.
Rather than send it to Taurus, he had a gunsmith fix it.
That lasted about 10 years.
Last time he had it out to shoot it, it was striking the edge of the primers. About 6 rounds of improperly aligned detonations, and it stopped locking up properly, again.

My own Taurus experience...?
I think the "Raging" series is fairly decent, and wouldn't mind several of them.
But.

I no longer own anything Taurus.
Quality control doesn't exist.
Rather than make good guns, they prefer to just make a crap-ton of cheap guns with minimal oversight, and then let the repair center pick up the slack IF someone complains.

One of my Taurus pistols was so bad, overall, that Taurus had an in-house recall on the model. It was the pre-official recall, pre-Millenium, pre-Pro, pre-B (the recall), PT-138 .380 Auto. If that model makes it back into their hands, they won't let you have it back. They will only offer a current equivalent replacement (if they have one), or let you buy something else at wholesale cost.

Mine was serial number 8. First day. First shift. Everything was wrong with it. But still SN 8. While Taurii are not generally considered collectible, a serial number that low does bring additional value, with the right buyer. I wasn't about to hand it over.

I fixed it myself, got it mostly reliable after a lot of fiddling and load experimentation, and ran it for about 14 years; before finally dumping that crap-tastic attempt at a firearm before it blew up on me. Excellent condition, unnatural reliability, SN 8, original box, a spare magazine, and still surviving in the wild. I doubled my money, and then some.
Best deal on a Taurus, ever.