The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 20, 2017, 07:37 PM   #1
condor bravo

30 carbine chambering problem now resolved

The previous thread on this subject described failures to chamber in a new Inland 30 carbine (as well as an older model). Majority thinking was that the Inland had an extra tight chamber. However that was discredited when it was realized that copper rings continued to be deposited in the chamber which had to continually be removed in order to again chamber properly. Sierra FMJs and x-treme plated bullets were responsible.

Two different bullets, probably having harder jackets, provided a cure. Excellent results were eventually achieved with LC military pull down bullets from Patsreloding.com in Ohio, and FMJs, brand not indicated, from evergladesammo.com in Florida. Not a single chambering problem since using them.

EvergladesAmmo.com ships a number of their products at no charge. The 30 carbine FMJs are priced at $63 per 500 and no shipping charge. I grabbed onto 1000. The jackets are bronze in color with the composition of 90% copper and 10% zinc, identified as C22000. Bullets are new manufactured.
Old March 20, 2017, 11:55 PM   #2
tangolima

That resembles a batch of Armscor bullets I bought from graf and son. The jacket is brass, instead of softer copper. It worked pretty well. I almost haven't shot any jacketed bullets since then. Plated bullets are cheaper and work almost as well.

M1 carbine is no doubt the cheapest rifle round one can load.

-TL
Old March 21, 2017, 12:35 AM   #3
condor bravo

Good; I presume that means the Sierras and x-tremes are working out OK. I do have some of the factory Armscor rounds and have used quite a few. Their cases are good for reloading. There has to be different degrees of hardness between different jacketed materials. I'm a little surprised that no one else has reported the same problem that I had.
Old March 21, 2017, 04:04 AM   #4
tangolima

I haven't tried the new bullets I got from you yet. But they should be fine. My IBM eats everything. I have been loading with xtreme since the Armscor fmj. No problem at all.

I do have problem with Armscor brass though, and won't use them ever again.

You wonder why no one has reported similar problems. I still think something not quite right about your new carbine. It shouldn't be that finicky.

I have a few milsurp rifles. I shoot them in round-Robin. Currently it is all 8mm Mauser. Probably next year I will be back to 30 carbine.

-TL