The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old September 4, 2009, 03:04 PM   #1
mtang45

Cannot post in the Classified section

Tried to post in the classified section today and I get a message that says I don't have permission. This is definately new. Do I have a cookie issue or issomething else going on?
It is worth remembering these timeless words John Stuart Mill: "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks nothing worth a war, is worse."
Old September 4, 2009, 03:49 PM   #2
mtang45

Nevermind, I see the announcement at the top of the forum. Thats too bad; I've been a member since 2007 and my primary reason for coming here is to browse your classified section for cool toys. I also sell/trade lots of cool stuff that I don't need anymore. I'm not in the business, just a fanatical hobbyist. I usually don't have time to read and contribute in other forums so thus a low post count since you don't count postings in the marketplace.

Its your forum and your rules but I have to say I find it highly disappointing and somewhat disturbing that you are saying you don't want me around because of my one dimensional contribution to your website, and my inability to become a multi-faceted member by posting "meaningful" content.

No hard feelings here, just commenting on what I see as forced communal dynamics
It is worth remembering these timeless words John Stuart Mill: "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks nothing worth a war, is worse."
Old September 4, 2009, 04:51 PM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

A PM to a moderator may well gain you access.... we may refer to them as Sith Lords on occasion but they're actually pretty nice (usually).
Old September 4, 2009, 07:06 PM   #4
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

This sith lord says, sorry Charlie, but no.

The raison d'étre for TFL is to promote responsible gun ownership. That's been the policy here since day one. Hasn't changed.

Originally, the GunShow forums were started as a service to our members. Somewhere along the way, it become the primary (and for some, the only) reason for their presence at TFL.

If you find that disturbing, perhaps this will encourage you to join us. If not, c'est la vie!
Old September 5, 2009, 12:42 AM   #5
tyme
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antipitas
The raison d'état for TFL is to promote responsible gun ownership.
Did TFL become a sovereign entity when I wasn't looking? Don't you mean raison d'être?
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old September 5, 2009, 10:03 AM   #6
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Pretty sad, when I'm better at dead languages than live ones...
Old September 5, 2009, 03:00 PM   #7
Mal H
Staff

You mean like COBOL and BASIC?

Old September 5, 2009, 03:41 PM   #8
mtang45

OK, so to better understand your policy I just surveyed the last 10 postings in the Buy, Sell and Trade: Handguns forum and found 7 of the 10 do not meet your criteria for posting in the Classified sections. Just curious why the policy changed for me (when I used to be able to post); did I do something that offended someone? This is obviously not a well enforced policy, so what means is used to discriminate between those that can and those that cannot?
Old September 5, 2009, 05:04 PM   #9
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

From Tuttle8's Announcement:
Quote:
As it states in all of the Gun Show subforums, you MUST have been a member for at least 30 days and have at least 25 posts to start a thread. For those that question why some still are able, it's due to some have slipped through the cracks or have been "grandfathered" in. For those that can, consider being fortunate. For others that can't, it's an easy solution. Hang out for a while in the discussion forums and get to know us as we can get to know you. After all, the discussion forums are the reason why we're here. The Gun Show forum is provided as a FREE service for those that have contributed to The Firing Line's cause.
... And PASCAL or MODULA, Mal.