The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 16, 2020, 12:41 AM   #51
stinkeypete

The only problem I have with rubber style grips is that they can't be shaped to fit my hand which is medium/small.

With wood, I am not afraid at all to buy a cheap set of grips on ebay and sand the crap out of them until they fit my hand right, keeping the pretty grips in the safe for if ever I sell the gun.

The rubber grips on my LCRX 3" .38 used to be ugly. Then I shot the gun more and more and realized they fit my hand really well and are comfortable and fit the over all idea of the overall package- to me it's my hiking/kit gun that might fall in a creek or marsh puddle with me and if it gets wet, no big deal. Dry it out when we get home. With pretty wood, I'd be fussing. Now I think they look exactly right. Stuff that doesn't bite your hand begins to look better and better.
Old May 16, 2020, 02:05 AM   #52
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
The only problem I have with rubber style grips is that they can't be shaped to fit my hand which is medium/small.
No matter what its made of, if it doesn't fit your hand, it doesn't fit your hand, and on a gun like a .44 Magnum Super Blackhawk, you need a grip that fits your hand. The oversize rubber fits me. And I've used wood plastic, rubber, and some things I'm not sure what they were....

For me, and the .44 Magnum I prefer Pachmayr. If that doesn't fit you, you shouldn't use them. It really is that simple.
Old May 16, 2020, 03:37 PM   #53
Dufus

I still have the stock grips on all my Ruger handguns except one.

I was lucky enough to be visiting Alex Harper in his shop one day and he had some scrap walnut from a rifle stock that made me think SBH grip. I wanted to buy the piece from him, but he just told me to take it as long as I promised not to sell to someone else. I made a custom fitted walnut grip and it was large enough to make a palm rest on the bottom. It feels good to me, but for most folks that shoot it, doesn't fit them as comfortable as it does me.

I showed it to Mr Harper and he said he liked it and "that gives me some ideas". I don't know if he ever did anything like that as he was more well known for his rifle stocks.
Old May 17, 2020, 12:19 PM   #54
Real Gun

I was against the idea of using rubber on my single actions until I tried it. The Pachmayrs are allowing my 41 Magnum Flat Top to be more enjoyable to shoot. What really works though is the Bisley grip on my 44 Magnum SBH, so I have a grip frame and panels for conversion of the 41 Magnum. That won't be inexpensive, since the fitting and bluing will need to be redone. Maybe someday when money allows. I will need to find a specialty gunsmith to do that work.
Old May 26, 2020, 05:03 PM   #55
HistoryJunky

Hey guys I thought I'd get back to everyone.

I had a chance to get out and shoot my new to me SBH this weekend.

I only had the .44 Magnum Remington ammo that I mentioned before.

The gun was very fun to shoot. Definitely had some recoil, but not at all unpleasant.

I am glad the gun is ported, because the muzzle flip is a very real thing.

Overall, I can't wait to buy some dies and work some loads up for this gun.

Oh and I must've lucked out as the gun doesn't tear me up. I did bring gloves though just in case as some of you mentioned.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old May 26, 2020, 10:04 PM   #56
swissfist

Hello and welcome to big bore revolver world. I have a SBH in .44 mag with factory wood grips. I like em. And thats including full house hunting loads, they don't bother me, I like that "thump". And its such a heavy piece, you can shoot hot .44 special loads, makes it seem like you're shooting a single six .22 long rifle. Congratulations on your purchase. You won't regret it.
Old June 23, 2020, 04:16 PM   #57
jimku

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryJunky View Post
It also has a Pachmayr? rubber grip so it should be pretty tame.
It will be like getting kicked by a mule with boxing gloves on his hooves.
But some of us LIKE that!

Last edited by jimku; June 23, 2020 at 04:22 PM.
Old June 23, 2020, 08:12 PM   #58
cpt-t

HistoryJunky: My Wife bought me a 7 1/2 inch barreled Ruger SBH for a Xmas present in 1975 or 1976 if I remember right. And to me You are hard pressed to beat a Ruger SBH. I have used it to shoot a lot of Steel Silhouettes, and to hunt Deer & Pigs. And it does a great on all three of them. It also make a great comforting carry gun when I am out just walking along the river banks, or just out in the woods by my self for several hours. My SBH is just a superb companion. I like it so much that I shoot my Son`s 10 inch SBH quite a bit. I have been reloading for my SBH from the get go & use to cast my own bullets. But I don`t cast that much any more. As I said earlier IMHO you would be hard pressed to beat a Ruger SBH. But I have had a obsession with Long Barreled Single Actions Handguns since I was a very young boy. I hope You enjoy your Ruger SBH.
ken
Old June 24, 2020, 12:45 AM   #59
zxcvbob

Mine big bore is a .45 Colt Ruger Bisley-Blackhawk, and I've loaded for it like it was a .44 Magnum or a little beyond. Yeah, it's got a kick to it, but the gun is heavy so the recoil is not punishing. (my gun with the worst recoil is my little P3AT .380 and I hate shooting that gun) I'm guessing the SBH is even heavier than a Bisley, except yours has a short barrel. With my stoutest loads (255 grain bullet at about 1400 fps) I usually just shoot 6 or maybe 12 before dropping back to something lighter to keep me from flinching.

My gun came with a set of fancy checkered rosewood grips as well as the factory smooth walnut grips. The gun is easier to shoot with the smooth grips, but the rosewood looks so nice I use those.

Do you reload? (you will) Get some 240 grain cast bullets and a pound of Herco. That should be a good "magnum" powder for a short barrel, and economical to use. If you can't find Herco get Unique. After you burn that up if you want something with more juice, try a powder like 2400 or AA#9. Or if you want something lighter, use Green Dot or 231.

Blue Dot is good in the summer but it can get squirrelly in cold weather.

An empty paint can (you can buy new ones at Home Depot and probably Lowes, with a lid for a couple bucks) will make a *much* better ammo can than a cottage cheese container. Heck, an old tube sock will make a better ammo container than a cottage cheese carton
Old June 24, 2020, 02:12 AM   #60
artoo

For more ammo ideas there are these.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...UK_sYJncMDGM_r

I've got a Blackhawk in .41 magnum ammo and can enjoy soft shooting loads as well as some barn burner rounds. There is more enjoyment with "can shoot longer without getting worn out by recoil" loads. The Pach's grips are a good idea as others have already pointed out.

If you like the full recoil loads that is just fine.
Old June 28, 2020, 03:36 PM   #61
jimku

Back in the 70's my buddy had a S&W Model 29 44 mag 6' barrel. I shot it a couple times and decided to get a Ruger Blackhawk .41 magnum 4" barrel ... 90% the power of a 44, faster, flatter shooting, less recoil. Boy, am I glad I did! At 100 yards, compared to my shorter .41, his longer .44 was like lobbing mortar shells ... trajectory like a fast rock. The .41 magnum has been my favorite big-bore cartridge ever since.
Old June 29, 2020, 12:46 AM   #62
bamaranger

noted

No less an authority than Elmer Keith noted that the .41 all up was flatter than his beloved .44, and he said so in print. He overshot long range targets until he figured it out, but I'm not sure which of his books discuss that.

The .41 is different, but the .44 can do all the .41 can and more, in the same size gun........I suspect that is why the .41 has sort of floundered over the years. You can load a .44 down, but you cannot make the .41 more gun than it already is.

Good luck to the OP with his new SBH. I have always wanted one in the 7-1/2" length, with the dragoon square back trigger guard. I can remember when a new one was less than $200!!!!! Dad had a 10-1/4" model, which he scoped and was incredibly accurate....sister has it.