The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 28, 2017, 07:06 PM   #1
Psychedelic Bang

Perscription shooting glasses?

Hi,

does anybody make prescription shooting glasses? I have googled, I see a lot of expensive frames, but I can't find a company to email my prescription in and have some custom shooting glasses made...

Thanks
Old October 28, 2017, 07:31 PM   #2
NoSecondBest

Amazing. I googled it and got several thousand hits. I've been buying prescription shooting glasses for years and have found lots of places selling them. What google key words did you enter? I just typed "prescription shooting glasses" and got an overwhelming amount of responses.
Old October 28, 2017, 07:40 PM   #3
Rangerrich99

I'm getting ready to order mine from Decot Sporting Glasses: http://decot.com/.

Same company used by Rob Leatham, as well as several other competitive shooters. I don't know if you can just email them your prescription, but I can't see why not. They are local for me, so I just went to their offices. My glasses will cost around $360 due to the second set of lenses.

If you call, ask for Robert.
Old October 28, 2017, 07:44 PM   #4
Psychedelic Bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSecondBest View Post
Amazing. I googled it and got several thousand hits. I've been buying prescription shooting glasses for years and have found lots of places selling them. What google key words did you enter? I just typed "prescription shooting glasses" and got an overwhelming amount of responses.
I typed in "prescription shooting glasses"

and it returns these pages.. https://www.bing.com/search?q=prescr...=en-US&PC=ASTS

So which company can I just, "email my prescription," and have the glasses made...

I see a lot of expensive frames.. I do not see a viable, simple order form.

I suppose I could call all these companies on monday
Old October 28, 2017, 07:46 PM   #5
Psychedelic Bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerrich99 View Post
I'm getting ready to order mine from Decot Sporting Glasses: http://decot.com/.

Same company used by Rob Leatham, as well as several other competitive shooters. I don't know if you can just email them your prescription, but I can't see why not. They are local for me, so I just went to their offices. My glasses will cost around $360 due to the second set of lenses.

If you call, ask for Robert.
Thank you for providing me with a simple to understand, easy to use website where I can order prescription shooting glasses. Despite all the sites I found on google, the company you suggest has the easiest, most logical way just to order rx glasses.
Old October 28, 2017, 07:58 PM   #6
Rangerrich99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychedelic Bang View Post
Thank you for providing me with a simple to understand, easy to use website where I can order prescription shooting glasses. Despite all the sites I found on google, the company you suggest has the easiest, most logical way just to order rx glasses.
You're welcome.
Old October 29, 2017, 12:10 PM   #7
T. O'Heir

All prescription glasses are shooting glasses. All prescription glasses have impact resistant lenses. Asked about it when I got specs 20 some years ago. As long as your specs have lenses that cover your whole eye, they'll be fine.
"...will cost around $360 due to the second set of lenses..." Go to your regular optician and buy whatever's on sale. Cost me $150Cdn for a clear pair and sunglasses. Granted it was 20 years ago. Look into Wal-Mart's Optical centre. Their site shows aviator style glasses with frames starting at $18. $44 for prescription sunglasses.
If you ask for 'shooting' glasses, they just cost more. It's no different than buying "Gunsmith's screw drivers" or reloading tumbling media. If it says, 'gun' or 'gunsmith's' or any reloading company's brand name on it, it'll cost more for the same thing.
Old October 29, 2017, 12:15 PM   #8
1stmar

I spoke to my eye Dr about this and he asked me what type of shooting I do. I told him both handgun and rifle, so need to see sights just past arms length and rifle length with targets from 25 yards to 100yds. He already understood sight picture so he knew where the focal point needed to be and that while I needed to see the targets it was ok if they were fuzzy as long as I could see my sights. He made me prescription that was perfect for rifle, perhaps a little less so for pistol but much better than what I was doing. Suspect if I had a set for rifle and another for pistol it would be better. This was a dramatic improvement.

Talk to the Dr, pay the $$ its worth it. I used frames from a set of Sunglasses as they wrapped around better than traditional reading glasses.
Old October 29, 2017, 12:30 PM   #9
Rangerrich99

This is exactly what they do at Decot. If all they did was single vision prescription, then I wouldn't have been interested in buying their product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stmar View Post
I spoke to my eye Dr about this and he asked me what type of shooting I do. I told him both handgun and rifle, so need to see sights just past arms length and rifle length with targets from 25 yards to 100yds. He already understood sight picture so he knew where the focal point needed to be and that while I needed to see the targets it was ok if they were fuzzy as long as I could see my sights. He made me prescription that was perfect for rifle, perhaps a little less so for pistol but much better than what I was doing. Suspect if I had a set for rifle and another for pistol it would be better. This was a dramatic improvement.

Talk to the Dr, pay the $$ its worth it. I used frames from a set of Sunglasses as they wrapped around better than traditional reading glasses.
Old October 29, 2017, 12:40 PM   #10
Psychedelic Bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O'Heir View Post
All prescription glasses are shooting glasses. All prescription glasses have impact resistant lenses. Asked about it when I got specs 20 some years ago. As long as your specs have lenses that cover your whole eye, they'll be fine.
"...will cost around $360 due to the second set of lenses..." Go to your regular optician and buy whatever's on sale. Cost me $150Cdn for a clear pair and sunglasses. Granted it was 20 years ago. Look into Wal-Mart's Optical centre. Their site shows aviator style glasses with frames starting at $18. $44 for prescription sunglasses.
If you ask for 'shooting' glasses, they just cost more. It's no different than buying "Gunsmith's screw drivers" or reloading tumbling media. If it says, 'gun' or 'gunsmith's' or any reloading company's brand name on it, it'll cost more for the same thing.
You know.. I'm happy I made the thread despite the feelings from some members who may see the thread as a little gratuitous.

However, the reason I did not want to wear my glasses at the shooting range is I've got Costco glasses, with super expensive lenses and fashion frame.

So, your idea, "Got to Walmart, bring your scrip, grab aviators and walk out the door for $44 and change."

Great idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old October 29, 2017, 12:51 PM   #11
Rangerrich99

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O'Heir View Post
Hi, I'm not an idiot. I have walked around on this Earth long enough to know the difference between a marketing ploy and an actual improved product. I should anyway; I was in marketing for almost ten years . . .

If they were single vision prescription glasses I would agree with your post. But they are not, so I can't. These shooting glasses are designed completely differently than either normal single vision prescription glasses, or even a progressive lens. This type of shooting glasses puts the near focus zone (for looking at your sights) pretty close to the center of the lens (actually exactly where depends on the individual's preference). And the near focus zone is a different prescription than your single vision prescription.

But this is academic. You could've simply clicked the link for decot, or checked out any similar vendor and read for yourself how their products are different.
Old October 29, 2017, 01:03 PM   #12
Psychedelic Bang

hmm.. interesting

"This type of shooting glasses puts the near focus zone (for looking at your sights) pretty close to the center of the lens (actually exactly where depends on the individual's preference). And the near focus zone is a different prescription than your single vision prescription."
Old November 29, 2017, 04:38 PM   #13
Equin

Apologies if I shouldn’t be posting in a month-old thread but thought I’d chime in with my experience in the hopes it may help others doing a search for prescription shooting/safety glasses.

I recently looked into this since I’m considered “legally blind” with uncorrected vision according to my optometrist. My myopic prescription is fairly high at -10.0 in both eyes. I normally wear co tacts to aid with periphal vision, which is lost somewhat when I wear glasses. But I still wanted a pair of safety rx glasses just in case. I’ve found that regular glasses don’t cover my eye area near as much as safety glasses, which are usually wider and tend to provide a bit better protection from stuff flying at your face from downward or upward angles.

For low prescriptions, something like a prescription wraparound lense/frame combo may work great for that. But if you have a high rx like me, the wraparounds may not work due to the likelihood of a distorted, “fish-bowl” vision from the added curvature of the lens that becomes more pronounced with stronger prescriptions. What worked for me were prescription inserts that sit inside wraparound type safety lenses. I went with the Smith Optics Aegis safety glasses and prescription inserts. They work really well, but I admit I haven’t yet tried them while running or jumping around. Walking around with ear muffs on at the range, though, they work great. The ear muffs don’t seem to pinch them, either, but that could just be the shape and size of my face and head.

Speaking of which, I have acthin face with a small-to-medium head size, so I went with the compact sized frames. They are still kind of wide, but I prefer that since they should offer somewhat better protection than regular frames.

I ordered mine online from rx-safety.com. I input my prescription and didn’t have to fax it or scan it for them, either, which surprised me. They took only 2 to 3 weeks to arrive, which I thought as great considering my really strong prescription. I was very pleased with the purchase and recommend them and the Smith Optic Aegis for anyone with a high myopic prescription looking for something similar.
Old November 29, 2017, 04:45 PM   #14
FITASC

Call Tom at Tx Shooter's Optical. He sells Randolph Engineering shooting glasses. If you want to use different colors because of varying light conditions, you'll want to get the XLW ones which uses a prescription insert and then you just use the regular colored lenses.
That's cheaper than buying several sets of scrip lenses
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa