The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old September 17, 2012, 06:58 AM   #1
TexasJustice7

Nighttime Robbery in Dallas Texas

I read in the Dallas newspaper about a night time robbery of a Wing's Restaurant. The business owner had a gun held to his head and was robbed of $1200. A short time later, one of the robbers was shot from behind in an alley allowing the business owner to recover the $1200. The business owner was not charged, and one of the robbers escaped. The one that was shot was released from the hospital and then taken to jail charged with armed robbery. Police did not confirm who shot the bad guy.
Since this happened not a great distance from where I live, I wanted to research it, and nothing seems to be on the internet, or else my search engines are not coming up with the story.

I wonder how many people with a CHL would go after two or three robbers like that, for any amount of money. With more than one of them armed, I would not have chased after them, certainly not to a dark alley. I would think a business owner would have insurance for things like robbery. Would like to hear any comments by CHL and/or business owners in the Dallas area regarding the story. The article did say it was all being treated as one incident.
Old September 17, 2012, 08:17 AM   #2
Woody55

I haven't heard or anything else about the story.

I don't know what I would have done.

In Texas, you can use deadly force to recover property under certain circumstances. I believe that one of those circumstances is when it's the only way to recover it without putting your life at risk.
Old September 17, 2012, 08:20 AM   #3
Double Naught Spy

If it was in the Dallas paper, then you can find it on the net. The Dallas Morning News is online. Are you sure your information is correct? Specifically, which Wing's was robbed?

Quote:
I wonder how many people with a CHL would go after two or three robbers like that, for any amount of money.
Why is the issue of being a CHL holder relevant. The owner need not be a CHL holder to have a gun in his business.

Quote:
With more than one of them armed, I would not have chased after them, certainly not to a dark alley. I would think a business owner would have insurance for things like robbery. Would like to hear any comments by CHL and/or business owners in the Dallas area regarding the story.
Some have insurance, some don't. Many do run after robbers. It doesn't make it smart, but it happens. Then again, most robbers don't expect to be chased by the owners.

Quote:
A short time later, one of the robbers was shot from behind in an alley allowing the business owner to recover the $1200.
Let's see, robbery at night from personal property, the owner did not expect to otherwise be able to recover his money from the robbery and used the tactical advantage of a rearward position to use lethal force to stop the forward progress of the robber with the money while at the same time doing so without the robber having the benefit of knowing he was about to be shot. No reason to get into a gunfight to recover your money when you can do it with a shooting. Sounds like an exemplarily legal property shooting.

Quote:
The article did say it was all being treated as one incident.
No reason not to from what you described.
Old September 17, 2012, 09:21 AM   #4
TailGator

I am a business owner and a CWP holder, and I am armed at my office. My handgun will be used if need to protect the lives and well-being of myself and my staff. If a robber leaves with cash or goods, I personally would not pursue even if legal, for the simple and cold-hearted reason that I would expect to pay a lawyer more for representation than I could recover. I hasten to add that I also have no desire to take a life unless it is necessary for the survival of myself, my family, or other innocents, and if the threat to safety has ended, I am content to cooperate with law enforcement, insurance adjusters, etc.

I attach a greater value to living a peaceful life in the company of family and friends than to the recovery of purloined property, and I do not believe that a desire for revenge is healthy thing for the human mind. I fully respect others' rights to hold different opinions, but these are my values.

ETA: With so little knowledge available about the reported incident, I do not purport to say that my opinions are applicable to that circumstance, either.
Old September 17, 2012, 09:34 AM   #5
TexasJustice7

Quote:
DoubleNaughtSpy If it was in the Dallas paper, then you can find it on the net. The Dallas Morning News is online. Are you sure your information is correct? Specifically, which Wing's was robbed?

Well it was in the Sunday edition of the Dallas Newspaper (hard copy). But I have not seen anything else about it. The 23 year old guy who was shot, name was Oscar McDonald. The Restaurant was Wing Stop Restaurant near Dallas. There was an address listed there. I thought more details about this would come out somewhere and be on the internet. I no longer have the hard copy because it got discarded in the trash by sommeone working for me. who didn't know I wanted to keep the article.

I wondered too how far the owner may have chased the robbers before catching up to them. There was no mention of the caliber of the gun used, nor confirmation that it was the owner who actually shot the robber.
I thought someone on the forum in Dallas might know more about this
incident.l

I know the owner was within his rights in Texas to chase after and try and recover the loot stolen (albeit I don't think it was wise in this case), but if he did shoot the robber from behind I thought the business owner might get charged. But it said that it was being treated as all one incident.
Old September 17, 2012, 10:13 AM   #6
Frank Ettin
Staff

No reliable information and not really a T&T matter. Closed.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Closed Thread