The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 21, 2011, 11:03 PM   #1
rmocarsky

slug or sabot

Gunners,

I was told that a fully rifled .12 ga. barrel will fire foster type slugs with no loss of accuracy compared to the saboted slugs designed for fully rifled barrels.

The only thing that may be lost is range due to the heavier projectile and we hunt usually between 25 and 60 yards.

Is this true?

Rmocarsky
Old November 22, 2011, 09:44 AM   #2
SauerJackson

To the best of my knowledge yes, you can fire both. You shouldn't lose anything by doing so if you need to, ya just don't gain anything.
My 870 with turkey scope just absolutely DESTROYED a doe over the wknd at about 90 yards, mid jump! Wasn't me taking the shot, but other then being too much "ballistic tip" sabot for a mid sized doe, it was a pretty entertaining shot.....
Old November 22, 2011, 02:07 PM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

The downside is that slugs lead up the rifling PDQ and are a bear to clean out completely.
Old November 22, 2011, 06:52 PM   #4
MTT TL

I have to fire more than 100 rifled slugs before it will show any signs of fouling my rifiling. Accuracy is superb (2moa), just as good sabots at half the cost.
Old November 22, 2011, 07:27 PM   #5
cvbrewer

Rem Buckhammers and Lightfields Hybrids are somewhere between traditional rifled slugs and high-velocity sabots. The Lightfields cost about what sabots do, but lots of folks find them very accurate. The Buckhammers cost $6/box, which isn't much more than rifled slugs. From what I understand, neither causes "leading" of the rifling.
Old November 22, 2011, 08:35 PM   #6
insaneranger

For hunting & sometimes practice I use solid copper Barnes sabots in my rifled Mossberg 500 barrel. No fouling and accurate as a rifle to well over 150 yrds. Only downside is $4 per shot so make 'em count.

Last edited by insaneranger; November 25, 2011 at 08:30 PM.
Old November 23, 2011, 03:23 AM   #7
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Slugs are cheaper and good for a 100 yards in both my smooth bore and slug guns. I use the smooth bore because I scoped it. and zeroed it for 100 yards but most of my shots are in the 60 yard +/- 10 yards range where I hunt. If I had 100+ yards as a regular hunting range I'd go sabot.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old November 25, 2011, 02:19 AM   #8
Prof Young

What is the best slug for accuracy?

Sluggers:

I have a rifled barrel for my semi auto 12 ga. rem. Mounted a scope and my first batch of "sluggers" grouped well. My second batch didn't group at all. I will confess I didn't pay attention to the details, but they were all branded "sluggers" on the boxes. I've moved on to high velocity Winchester slugs and am grouping nicely again. I haven't tried the sabots yet due to the cost.

What are your best shooting non-sabot slugs?

Live well, be safe
Prof Young
Old November 29, 2011, 04:42 PM   #9
pabuckslayer08

Best bet is to use sabots in rifled bores and rifled slugs in smooth bores. Its the safest and most effective way to shoot your gun