The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old November 3, 2017, 09:43 AM   #1
Lavan

Several questions about a CZ455 Ultra Lux .22 LR bolt action

Knowing that the best time to ask about a gun is ..AFTER.. you've plunked down your money and it's in the waiting period...here goes.

Now first off, I am buying it for my EARS!
I have VERY damaged hearing from an unfortunate range session and shooting MAY be on my list of no-no's. But I hope not.

I use Decibel Defense NRR 37 (??) muffs ...plus... my audiologist custom made neoprene plugs.

And am still getting hearing affected when shooting even my 9422 and 10-22.

Hard as that is for me to believe, I am buying this 28 inch barrel CZ455 Ultra Lux and ..hoping... the extra barrel length will make the sound low enough to matter.

Time will tell I guess.

If you've stuck with this ramble so far, here are my CZ455 questions.

Who makes the BEST (low and neat) aperture sight and front sight?

I've read some forums saying the 455 is lacking in accuracy but I shot another guy's CZ 22 and was MIGHTY impressed.
If you own or have shot one, do you think the accuracy is good?

The one I shot had the stock irons. Do you think there's even any reason to go to an aperture? I have them on my 9422 and 10-22 and have used them for years.

But a scope is also a possiblity and so I'll ask which one YOU would consider to be light in weight with good optics and proper for 22 LR.

Whew! I think I'm done. Thanks for any comments you might have.

Oh wait! One other thing. I notice my DD muffs if they rest on the stock of a rifle, conduct an unpleasant "clank" to my ears and my ears are SCREWED!

I know I ....NEED .... muffs in addition to the plugs and so I'll ask opinions on which smaller muffs you guys might like.

THERE! DONE!
Old November 3, 2017, 12:22 PM   #2
MrBorland

I have a CZ452 UltraLux with front and rear aperture sights, and I'm very happy with the accuracy. The irons are very good on this rifle, but as good as they are, they can't beat a set of good apertures, IME.

I've never shot a 455, so I can't comment on any accuracy differences between the two.

As far as the aperture sights themselves, I bought mine some years ago from Denny on Rimfirecentral. I replaced the screw-in aperture of the rear sight with an adjustable Gehmann aperture. The front aperture came with a translucent disc with a small hole in the center. It's a perfect set-up for shooting official smallbore targets at smallbore distance, but since you can't see anything outside that teeny little hole, it's tough for anything else. If you order these, then, I'd get additional front post inserts.

Here's a link with pics (not my rifle) and contact info:
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...schutz+inserts

As far as noise, the long barrel will certainly help with that. If you're shooting at 50 yards or so, I'd shoot standard velocity ammo, too. It'll likely be accurate, and certainly more quite. If you need even less noise, you could shoot .22 shorts (or even CB shorts*) too. Combined with good hearing protection, I'd be surprised if you had an issue.

*though at some point, such low-powered ammo runs the risk of getting one stuck in such a long barrel. I know from personal experience that powderless Aguila Colibris will stick in a 28" barrel.
Old November 3, 2017, 01:08 PM   #3
Mr. Hill

You should seriously consider getting a suppressor for that rifle.
Old November 3, 2017, 03:10 PM   #4
Lavan

I live in CA so I can't save my ears legally.
Old November 4, 2017, 06:05 AM   #5
10-96

I'm not sure what type of shooting you're into, but for Running Target Open sight Division, I went with simple Tech-Sights. I've been very happy with those.
http://www.tech-sights.com/product/c...erture-sights/

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old November 4, 2017, 07:35 AM   #6
Areoflyer09

Depending on your usage for the rifle, you can run the 22 Quiets to help with the noise. Given the 455 is a bolt action it won’t care about the lack of power for cycling things.

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/produc...e=3&loadNo=960

I really enjoy running these through my lever .22.
Old November 5, 2017, 04:02 PM   #7
RC20

I have the CZ452MT and could not be happier. My mom had a pump 22 when I was a kid that was dead on accurate, never found another one to match it.

CZ452 does match it and unless its a rare bad dog, I can't image the new 455 ones are a down grade. CZ makes good stuff.

Probably use the same barrel. Mine shoots all ammo decently and some very accurately, my guess is better than I can hold a light 22 (its a field gun not a bench rest)

My eyes can see iron sights so I never got to use them but they are the best I have seen short of a peep and front sight matching (shot those my one year of college)

I went with the Leopold 2-7 Rimfire scope. Its a fine hair (almost too fine) but is what you need for a 22 at 50 yards (the 7x helps me with my eyes as well).

I went with the Warne mounts. Medium I believe. The kind that are slant cut.

Those are amazingly solid, its the same type the K-31 Swiss clamp on scope adaptor uses (don't ask me why they went with a 22 type base) and it works even for that gun which is between a 308 and a 30-06 recoil wise.

Good cheek weld and clears. Warne has a calculator you can plug the gun in.

I will see if I can look them up.
Old November 10, 2017, 11:18 AM   #8
BeeShooter

I've got the 452 Ultra. It seems to like the faster bullets better. Mine has had about 350 rounds through it but it's only grouping 2in. at a 100yrds. I use a 4x nikon with see through rings and shoot both iron and scope. When I first started shooting it brand new it was grouping 4in. at 50 yards. It seems to have a a long break-in period. I suspect it will help the long slender barrel if I fully bed it. As far as I'm concerned the jury is still out on this rifle. However it still shoots better than most American made 22s. - Oh yeah.. It's very quiet with out a suppressor.
Old November 12, 2017, 09:38 PM   #9
dakota.potts

My CZ 452 is very happy with Aguila rifle match ammo which is subsonic. Super quiet. You will hardly notice it with foam ear plugs. It is indeed quieter than a 10-22, due in large to the action and larger barrel.

I think the accuracy is good to very good depending on your use. Mine improved after bedding to shooting groups under 3/8" at 50 yards with a scope and rest.

The iron sights are adequate and they are very good for plinking, but I found them very difficult for fine target use and also very fatiguing. I used the rifle in a couple of NRA light rifle competitions, and it was very hard to stay focused on the black bullseyes at that distance for long periods of time.

An aperture sight or a scope would help with that.

EDIT: I should add that I have heard of accuracy concerns with the 455, which is a newer model, and I have the slightly older 452
Old November 13, 2017, 11:38 AM   #10
gshayd

I say a good set of aperture sights would be the ticket on that Rifle if you are limited by competitions you shoot in. I topped mine off with a vortex scope.
Old November 13, 2017, 03:35 PM   #11
spacemanspiff

My experience with the 455 is that it is very picky about ammo. But that makes the journey much more enjoyable. I honestly think i would have got bored with the 455 if it gave me sub-moa groups with any type of ammo. Now I consider it a challenge, a FUN one!

Mine doesnt have the long barrel, and I dont shoot irons, so I cannot comment about that. But that Ultralux is on my list to purchase at some point in the future. Hoping I will actually find the 452 model instead of the 455.