The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old June 8, 2017, 10:49 PM   #1
Tnemt

Rohm RG 40 parts

Please forgive me if I missed this in another post. This is my first time on TFL, well my first post on any forum actually. Down to the business at hand. I have a Rohm RG 40 revolver chambered in 38 special that was left to me by a good friend at his final departure. It is missing the thumb button that releases the cylinder. It is also missing the screw that would hold it in place. I have tried to find the parts online but have been very unsuccessful. Could anybody here with all the great knowledge on tap please point me in the right direction? Does anybody know where to find parts? Does anybody know the thread type on the screw that holds it in place. If I knew the length and the thread pattern I might be able to fabricate something to funtrion in place of the actual part. I appreciate all info that you can spare.

Thanks.
Old June 9, 2017, 06:47 PM   #2
44 AMP
Staff

Welcome to TFL!

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Rohm and RG revolvers are not considered good guns. Most of the time, the standard advice is to use them for paperweights. Saturday Night Special is a term often applied to them.

Numrich Arms (The Gun Parts Co.) MIGHT have some parts, They do have some parts they don't catalog, sometimes.

Usually the only way to get parts for a Rohm or similar is to find another one, which still has the parts you need, buy it, strip what you need and junk the rest.

The missing screw's thread pitch can be determined by any shop with a set of thread gauges. (as long as the threaded hole is intact).

Keep it out of respect for your friend, make it a wall hanger, paperweight, maybe encased in Lucite.

You can have the screw and something to function as the cylinder latch button made, and it would return the gun to working condition. Unfortunately, working condition for one of those guns isn't very good, compared to almost anything else.
Old June 9, 2017, 08:22 PM   #3
Tnemt

Thanks for the info AMP44. I don't have any plans of firing the old death trap, I just wanted it mechanically complete for posterity's sake.
Old June 9, 2017, 08:25 PM   #4
Tnemt

44AMP. Autocorrect reared it ugly head.
Old July 12, 2017, 04:02 PM   #5
hdwhit

Quote:
44 AMP wrote:
Rohm and RG revolvers are not considered good guns...
I know, but I have an RG-25 that still works just fine and I was hoping someone here was going to have a lead on parts for the make. Thanks.
Old July 12, 2017, 07:01 PM   #6
Model12Win

The Rohms are quality guns, they are made in Germany, which should say it all.
Old July 12, 2017, 08:54 PM   #7
mapsjanhere

It does say it all, but the wrong way. Roehm's main line was tear gas/bang guns with blocked barrels that were free to carry in Germany. As such the guns were made from cheap pot metal. They produced a live round version by lining the pot metal with steel, but that didn't add a lot of overall strength.
Old July 13, 2017, 12:29 PM   #8
T. O'Heir

Rohm's main line was low end clones of assorted American revolvers until 2010 when they got out of firearms altogether.
An RG 40 is a clone of a Smith revolver. Gunparts shows grips and nothing else for what they call an RG. No number, but it's a .38.
You might be able to fit a Smith M10 thumb piece that gets attached to the cylinder catch with a nut not a screw. Isn't exactly inexpensive though. The thumb piece runs $18.95 each. The nut, blued, is $6.30. Both from Gunparts. Look on their site by Manufacturer under Smith and Wesson 'K' frame revolver.
Innards of Smith revolvers are pretty much identical. This is an exploded drawing of a Smith revolver that should help. (No such thing for Rohm's.) http://stevespages.com/ipb-sandw-general.html
Old July 13, 2017, 01:22 PM   #9
Bill DeShivs

Rohm never cloned any S&W revolvers, to my knowledge. The model 40 certainly isn't a S&W clone.
And, S&W parts won't work.
Old July 15, 2017, 01:07 AM   #10
PzGren

"Rohm never cloned any S&W revolvers, to my knowledge. The model 40 certainly isn't a S&W clone.
And, S&W parts won't work."

Agreed, internally and externally there are big differences. I actually bought about ten Roehms for about $5 a piece at law enforcement auctions and the quality ranged from hazardous to shootable and the RG40 with the swing out cylinder is one of the better ones.

Since parts are hard to find, I would try Ace hardware for the screw and alter a piece of aluminium to work. It is easily done, I had to devise a safety to import a Hämmerli 208 and used the end cap of an old Brinkmann Mini flashlight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hammerli safety.jpg (73.3 KB, 48 views)
Old July 15, 2017, 01:09 AM   #11
Hawg

Rohm was the better of the cheap imports. I've had a few and never had a problem with any of them.