The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 3, 2015, 12:23 AM   #1
rtpzwms

Target Systems

With more and more open ranges being closed. And the largest reason for closure being trash. I'm wondering what other target options are out there that are easily transported, setup and durable. At my age I'm not much interested in moving 100+ lbs of steel. Don't get me wrong I like steel targets I'm just not willing to drag them around. I like the shooting trees but at over $300 dollars for most of them and the weight no thanks. I think I would end up just leaving it at home. 30 years ago we shot almost anything you could find. Now days its a bad play. I've looked for a while and I believe I have found a compromise that may work for me. Fairly light weight under 50 lbs, no tools required to set it up, and self healing. Time will tell if its durable.

So where am I going with all of this? What are you using? What do you think of what you got? Do you have a web link to it to let the rest of us see it as well? I'll try to get pictures of mine tomorrow at the shooting area. But for now I have a link.
Old May 3, 2015, 07:25 AM   #2
g.willikers

Before I bought and built a bunch of steel targets, I made reactive ones from wood.
Lighter than steel, much cheaper, (scraps bought by the pound), and they can easily last quite a few range days, depending on the kind of wood and thickness.
Mostly they were 2x4s glued and screwed together as thick and wide as necessary for the caliber and distance being used.
Those rubber targets in the link look good, at a fraction of the price of steel.
Old May 3, 2015, 07:59 AM   #3
g.willikers

Also check out youtube for "reactive targets" and "home made reactive targets" for loads of other ideas.
Old May 4, 2015, 07:22 PM   #4
skizzums

I bought the 30 dollar ,do-all?, steel targets "double-blast" at Wal-Mart a few months ago. it's good for high calibers, 30-06 I believe(I honestly doubt it would do well wit lots of large caliber use though, ihit it with .223 all day and doesn't hurt it though), but best of all....the box is flat and fits in my gun backpack. I carry to the woods everytime now. it's large enough for shooting out 300 yards depending on your scope. yeah, its a bit on the heavy side, but is great to have, and cheap. if your like me and have to hike out to your "spot", I highly recommend one of the three rifle backpacks. they don't make carrying 50-60 pounds of guns and ammo effortless, but sure beats making two trips. sometimes i'll make the second trip for a box of clays though

Old May 4, 2015, 11:14 PM   #5
rtpzwms

Here is what I found so far my wife is happy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg target.jpg (223.6 KB, 56 views)
Old May 5, 2015, 02:32 AM   #6
Brotherbadger

Looks like a nice setup!

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "
Old May 9, 2015, 08:42 AM   #7
g.willikers

Neat setup.
But it seems like the mounting hole in the target is too low, being kind of in the sweet spot.