The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old November 30, 2009, 11:32 PM   #1
(BH)

Supertuck vs Kholster.... Opinions?

I was planning on buying a Crossbreed Supertuck, but it seems that Kholster is quite a bit cheaper. I could get two Kholsters for the price of one Supertuck. Anybody have both? Is the Supertuck worth the extra cash?

It matters not how a man dies, but how he lives. The act of dying is not of importance, it lasts so short a time.
-Samuel Johnson
Old December 1, 2009, 04:19 PM   #2
Croz

I can't speak to the supertuck, but the kholster is fantastic. I have one for each of my carry guns. Actually started with the kholster because my first gun was a Hi-Point 9mm, and Crossbreed doesn't have a supertuck for it, but kholster did have one for it.

Jimmy at kholster is great to work with. I've gotten nothing but superior service from him.
Old December 1, 2009, 05:05 PM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I'm the opposite of Croz. I can't speak for the kholster, but the Supertuck is fantastic and their customer service is first rate, way beyond expectations.

In a thread a few weeks ago there was a guy claiming to have emailed Crossbreed twice (I Think) about one of their products and never receiving an answer for three weeks. I emailed them about the product and received and answer in 1 hour and 17 minutes. Oddly, the poster claiming the three weeks never did respond again....
Old December 5, 2009, 09:50 AM   #4
jtheise4

I just bought a SuperTuck Deluxe a week ago and it is amazing. After about 10 minutes of wearing it, I completely forget I'm even wearing it. I'm using it to carry a Ruger LCR and the weapon retention is excellent. The Kydex completely covers the trigger assembly, so there is no worry about accidentally snagging the trigger. I would highly recommend a ST.
Old December 6, 2009, 11:16 AM   #5
504tactical

kholster vs. crossbreed

I had a supertuck for my XD9 subcompact. It was amazing, although a bit on the expensive side. It looks like the Kholster would be just as comfortable maybe not as tuckable though. If you have ever worked with kydex you might want to make one yourself. There pretty easy to make. I bought just the one from crossbreed then i made every other one that i own.
Old December 8, 2009, 05:36 PM   #6
jdandt

I bought like most about 8 holsters before buying the Supertuck. Do yourself a favor and search all sites about it.....it is the best in most peoples opinions. Mine....black, combat cut and broke in (curved to my body when taken off) in after a day of wearing it. Complimented with the new Crossbreed belt (got yesterday....unbelievable). No more, I mean no more pulling up or adjusting my pants. Today Im wearing my Blackhawk Serpa OWB because its very cold and have a thin overcoat/windbreaker on and like the freedom of OWB carrry sometimes too.

Get a Supertuck....you will "NEVER" regret it.
Old December 8, 2009, 06:14 PM   #7
ZeSpectre

I've never owned a "Supertuck" though I've heard nothing but good about them.

I did just recently buy a KHolster and just finished adding on to the writeup I did here KHolster Review.
Old December 8, 2009, 07:04 PM   #8
rantingredneck

No experiences with the Kholster, but I do have 3 Crossbreeds now.

Here is the LCR rig in use:

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old December 10, 2009, 10:51 AM   #9
R.Lynn

I have both and use the Supertuck. The only difference from my experience is the rough side of the leather is toward you on the Supertuck but the opposite on the Kolster.
To me this makes the Supertuck stay put and the kolster moves around more. I like the clips on the Crossbreed better as well.

For what its worth my most used holster is the Bulldog "Mike" IWB holster from http://www.bulldogleathercompany.com. It's not tuckable but for the comfort I do my best to dress around the holster which is much easier this time of year.

Last edited by R.Lynn; December 10, 2009 at 11:07 AM.
Old December 10, 2009, 12:13 PM   #10
doctruptwn

I have both, Basically they are the same. The exception is when you get your Kholster you have to make your own combat cut, and wear it in till it molds to you and what you wear. You can order the Kholster rough side in or out your choice. As for which one to get....Well I have 1 supertuck and 2 Kholsters, so there you go.
Old December 10, 2009, 12:39 PM   #11
johnwilliamson062

I only have a super tuck.
I have to say that the holster was one of the best firearms accessories I have purchased dollar for dollar. I am satisfied enough with both the quality of mine and the price that I would not take a chance on a kholster when I know I can be happy with another crossbreed.

The Kholster looks like there was aesthetic cost cutting corners taken. Not a big deal for something you will be CONCEALING. I would compare the thickness of the leather. If the leather on the Kholster is thinner I would skip it for sure. I bet the Kholster works fine.

I decided I will e-mail both companies and give them a chance to respond.

Last edited by johnwilliamson062; December 10, 2009 at 12:57 PM.
Old December 10, 2009, 01:15 PM   #12
output

Kholsters

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwilliamson062
You can order the Kholster rough side in or out your choice. As for which one to get....Well I have 1 supertuck and 2 Kholsters, so there you go.
Absolutely right!

I do not own a Super Tuck but I do own Kholsters and I have no complaints. John was right; you can order it however you like. If you don't like something you can send it back with your own specifications to have it reworked. You can also customize it yourself and it will still be covered under its warranty (which no one else offers to my knowledge.) There is also a 90 day guarantee so you have three months to decide if you really like it or not. Customer service and support has been nothing less then perfect for me. Best of luck!

Last edited by output; December 10, 2009 at 01:22 PM.
Old December 12, 2009, 08:01 PM   #13
johnwilliamson062

A guy from crossbreeds returned my e-mail. He basically said that the crossbreed fans were representing his product well and that there did not seem to be any incorrect statements in the thread so he was going to let the users speak for the product. He sent me a few e-mails and was very polite. He also answered an unrelated question as to which holsters fit a Kahr T9(he said CW9 does perfectly).

Nothing from Kholster and I asked them the same unrelated question.
Old December 12, 2009, 10:46 PM   #14
skifast

I love my KHolster. The customer service is great. I think Jimmy will respond, give him a little time.
Old December 14, 2009, 11:30 AM   #15
cash2006

Silent Thunder is my favorite as it is a minimalist design

http://rlcompanyusa.stores.yahoo.net/iwbholsters1.html
Old December 14, 2009, 02:19 PM   #16
johnwilliamson062

The silent thunder appears to be an OWB holster.
It also appears to be entirely kydex on any part that would touch your body.
How would it possibly be more comfortable than a straight Kydex holster?
How does it compete with the crossbreed/kholster design.

Still no word from Kholster. It has only been a few work days though.
Old December 14, 2009, 02:41 PM   #17
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

John,

A few work days!?

How long did Crossbreed take? 2 hours?

I'm amazed at the "let the people speak" reply from him. That's confidence in your product.
Old December 17, 2009, 12:36 AM   #18
kinoons

I only have experience with the supertuck, but the only reasion is once I bought my supertuck I stopped searching. That's about the best recommendation I can give.
Old December 17, 2009, 04:06 PM   #19
Croz

Quote:
John,

A few work days!?

How long did Crossbreed take? 2 hours?
I have no interest in trying to start a manufacturer preference war, but I will say that the Kholster is a side job for Jimmy, not his day job. And he's a 1 man shop. He's not always quickest to respond to email because of outside commitments. Crossbreed is a bigger company, with established sales and customer service.

I have no doubt that the Crossbreed and the Minotaur MTAC are great. I can only speak to the Kholster, and I find it to be a great holster for my use.
Old December 17, 2009, 06:13 PM   #20
Kyo

from what i can see, crossbreed can handle more gun brands at the moment. I don't see my P345 in the option list, or even a ruger in the full size options.
My rig is from simplyrugged.com
go check them out...you might like them as well
4. Be be sure of your target and what is beyond it.
Old December 17, 2009, 11:52 PM   #21
johnwilliamson062

Still no reply from Kholster. I have worked with major companies with CS departments that take as long to get back to you, so I don;t think he is doing a terrible job necessarily. Maybe he came here saw my posts in favor of the crossbreed and said to hell with my requests. His product is also half the cost of the crossbreeds. Spoke to my brother and he has been carrying in a Kholster and loves it.

I spoke to Mark Craighead at Crossbreed and his e-mail sig indicated he is the owner. No idea how big his shop is.

I wasted a considerable amount of money trying to find a good holster. The Crossbreed was a super deal and I wish it was where I started.

Last edited by johnwilliamson062; December 18, 2009 at 12:03 AM.
Old December 18, 2009, 02:47 PM   #22
s002cjs

Odd that Kholster hasn't replied. I've sent two emails (one to ask about ordering for a model they didn't list, then one following up with a question) and received responses fairly quickly...the more recent in about 30 minutes.
Old December 27, 2009, 12:35 PM   #23
johnwilliamson062

I just received a reply. I guess my e-mail ended up in his spam folder. There are a number of email servers that put all gmail in your spam folder.

Decent, but I am involved in a small business and I check my spam folder daily for exactly this reason.

His response basically siad he could not become involved since he would be biased and that his customers would represent the product.
Old January 4, 2010, 12:33 PM   #24
TheTomcat

Love my Kholsters. This one is modified by me.

Old January 4, 2010, 02:21 PM   #25
gjmur

I can only speak for Crossbreed. Got mine in August to carry a Colt Lightweight Commander in. Well, I was cleaning the Commander, and tried my full size Government in it, and it works really well too. Maybe too well. The other day I was leaving a friend's house. On the way out to my car, I had a panic attack because I couldn't/ didn't feel the weight of my pistol. Thought it fell out in my friend's couch. If a holster can make a full size Colt feel like it's not there, I'll give it my +1 without reservation. Good luck.