The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 15, 2018, 03:29 PM   #26
fastbolt

A lot of folks seem to forget the development and heritage of the 10mm, as originally envisioned by Cooper (200gr@1000fps).

It appears Speer is more or less returning to the roots of the 10mm, although they're boosting the velocity a little higher than originally desired by Cooper, closer to the developed load (200@1150) as it became the 10mm Auto, before Norma got involved and hot-rodded it a bit, and then also developed the lighter 170gr load.

http://rangehot.com/original-10mm-am...otfors-sweden/

I'd be a little surprised if many of the major American ammo makers would want to get involved in "magnum-izing" the 10mm, but handloaders and some smaller custom companies have been scratching that itch for some time. Of course, CORĀ®BON has also been making 10mm for quite a while, and has some lighter bullet weight loads available.

I rather suspect that the new Speer load might appeal to the father of the 10mm, if he were around today.

If I were going to carry a 10mm today, and wanted a hot load similar to the older Norma loads, I'd be very interested in using the W-W 175gr STHP, which closely approximates the old Norma load of 170gr@1300, being listed at 175gr@1290. Otherwise, the Speer 200gr load looks like it would serve as a modern carry load for a CCW role, and probably shoot quite nicely from some of today's pistols.
Old February 16, 2018, 09:25 PM   #27
wild cat mccane

I would bet $5 that it's the bullet designs start failing (bad) when pushed as hard as BB, Underwood, and Double Tap are pushing them. That's why the all load the lesser Speer "Bonded" bullet and there is really no other premium bullet loaded at hot levels.
Old February 17, 2018, 12:01 AM   #28
Ruger45LC

I've consolidated down to just .40 and 10mm and I have four boxes of the 200gr Gold Dot 10mm (SGammo has it for $12/box).

I'm the kind of person who likes a versatile cartridge and personally, I don't want to always carry around max loads. I happen to think the 200gr Gold Dot 10mm load (which looks like a 180gr Gold Dot with a longer shank) is an excellent choice. It's got power yet recoil isn't obtrusive and should allow for quick follow up shots. It's meant for social use and as such, striking a balance between power and recoil is important, and this one seems to do that very well. I think max loaded 10mm is fine for the woods, not that it's bad for social use but sometimes I think less is more, to an extent, and this load is just about perfect for social use.

I know, I know, you could be shooting a 200gr at 1250 fps loaded up on your nightstand, but what is that going to really give you except more recoil and blast when extra isn't exactly considered a good thing in every situation? If I'm awakened from sleep and groggy I'd rather grab a 200gr @ 1100 than one doing 1300, because I probably won't be on my A-game. Out in the woods, yes I'll take that 200gr at 1250-1300 fps, but for social use I'll take something "less" that still packs a punch.

Last edited by Ruger45LC; February 17, 2018 at 12:10 AM.
Old February 17, 2018, 11:37 AM   #29
KyJim

Why shoot a 10mm at @ 1,100 fps instead of a .40? If you carry a 1911 for defense and want a .40 caliber bullet, then keep in mind that the longer case of the 10mm will inherently feed more reliably than the shorter .40 because of the design of the pistol. That's why Springfield re-dimensioned the 1911 when it made the EMP --- to insure the gun was reliable with the shorter 9mm and .40 SW cartridges. That doesn't mean you can't make reliable .40 1911s, just that it's easier to make a reliable 1911 in 10mm. As a plus, there will be less recoil, making for quicker follow-up shots.

BTW, if you're paying $1 a round, you're not buying from the right people. It's 55 cents a round (.58 cents w/ shipping) at S&G Ammo.