The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 13, 2018, 03:51 PM   #26
Walt Sherrill

I don't understand why CZ hasn't made an alloy version of their full-sized guns. There would be a noticeable difference in carry weight, which can make a difference as the day wears on.
Old February 13, 2018, 04:20 PM   #27
WVsig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Sherrill View Post
I don't understand why CZ hasn't made an alloy version of their full-sized guns. There would be a noticeable difference in carry weight, which can make a difference as the day wears on.
I think the polymer it’s just cheaper to manufacture and they can sell at a lower cost vs developing an aluminum frame.
Old February 13, 2018, 04:54 PM   #28
Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Sherrill View Post
The 75D PCR, and P-01 are pretty close to full size, service pistols. Yes, they are Compacts, but with the plethora of sub compacts out there, they are still comparatively pretty large. No complaints here, I own a PCR, and would love to have a P-01 also.
Old February 13, 2018, 05:28 PM   #29
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot
The 75D PCR, and P-01 are pretty close to full size, service pistols.
Agreed -- CLOSE, but sometimes CLOSE isn't close enough.

I've had a bunch of CZs over the years, including a bunch of 75Bs and a 75B Compact or two (the steel-framed models.) I eventually moved the Compacts on because those smaller steel-framed guns offered little advantage over the full-sized steel model. (I never cared for the decocker models.)

I would THINK (but have no way of knowing for sure) that an ALLOY-framed fullsize gun would be lighter than the steel-framed 75B Compact, and a better carry gun. That would a be more-desirable full-size gun for many folks than the standard steel-framed 75B. (Some might like a decocker-equipped versions, but I prefer the safety-equipped ones.)

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; February 13, 2018 at 05:35 PM.
Old February 13, 2018, 07:17 PM   #30
TunnelRat

I think the majority of people looking for a carry gun will buy the smaller alloy versions or go with polymer. Are there people that want a fullsize alloy gun? Probably, but how much of a market does that represent? I don't think CZ would deliberately pass on more money if they thought the demand was there, especially as they have shown willingness to have a moderately sized catalog.
Maintain situational awareness
Old February 13, 2018, 10:40 PM   #31
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat
I don't think CZ would deliberately pass on more money if they thought the demand was there, especially as they have shown willingness to have a moderately sized catalog.
CZ has done a lot of things that didn't seem to make sense, producing a wide variety of guns of various sizes and compositions. And we have to remember that a "CARRY" gun isn't always a gun carried in deep concealment.
  • They have made a few Semi-compacts (long slides, compact frames or compact slides and full-size frames.)
  • They produced a few alloy-framed compacts that had safeties rather than decockers BEFORE they introduced the Omega versions.
  • Given the fact that frame durability has never been a problem with compact CZs, one wonders why CZ bothered with a forged alloy frame for the P-01, when cast alloy or steel was good for the other compact versions of the 75B design.
  • They continued to produce the 85 Combat for a decade or more, even though it's clear that they never built a LOT of them. (I, happily have one in satin nickel.)
  • They now build decocker-equipped CZ-97s, and they also offered a few CZ-97s in satin nickel.
  • They've built a few DAO CZ-75Bs. Not a gun that's in BIG demand.
  • There's has been an array of RAMI-based guns, including both decocker and safety models NOT using the Omega system, including a discontinued polymer version.
  • They quit offering satin nickel as a finish and offered silver polycoat in it's place -- but that never caught on; they then reverted to satin nickel again.
  • They offered a stainless-steel full-size gun, in three levels of polish (now 2) with a subtly different frame (with reversible mag release and an extended beaver-tail) when only the newest alloy compacts offered similar enhancements prior to that time. I would note, too, that the surface of the high-gloss stainless gun is quite well done, and imperfections simply aren't seen.
  • They apparently still offer high-gloss blued full-size guns, but the only place I've seen them offered is at the CZ Custom Shop. A CZ dealer might be able to special order -- but it'll take a while.
  • There was also, briefly, an CZ-85 Compact (with a safety rather than a decocker. Only a few of them made it to the U.S.A.
  • CZ announced a CZ-75B Compact in .40 back in the late '90s -- but a .40 compact was a long time coming. And earliest ones had magazine problems. But ProMag offered mags for the "promised" .40 model that worked in 9mm guns. A bunch of us on the CZ Forum used them during the mag ban period to give us several extra rounds per mag, and that was apparently legal according to an ATF letter ruling. At the time, that was the only .40 mag for a CZ that would retain 9mm rounds; 9mm round would just squirt out of other .40 CZ mags. (Don't know if they would actually work in a CZ, but they were quite good in CZ compact guns -- and no complaints from users!
  • The SA models have different slides in the 9mm and .40 versions, with only the .40 version using a full-length guide rod. Specialized, extra step processes.
  • CZ offered a RED STAR commemorative model bearing a hammer and sickle -- even though the gun was never used by a Communist Block military. That marketing effort seemed to imply something that wasn't quite factual.
  • CZ offered a Retro 75B that looked just like a 75 (rounded trigger guard, old-style tang hammer, and older-design slide lock lever. (I'd love to have one of those, but I never had the money when they were available.) I think a good bit of extra time and money went into making that relatively small run of guns.
  • While the RAMIs are sub-compacts and small, and have a modest following, CZ discontinued CZ-83... but offers no other, small .380 or 9x18 handgun. Even Glock has smaller guns, as do S&W and SIG.
  • Let's not forget the CZ-40P, which used a P-01 frame and a 40B slide, and a strange, full-size magazine with a BIG base that filled the gap at the bottom of the compact grip frame. I wonder if the 40P was just a way to get rid of some extra 40B slides.
  • CZ also did a second production run of the 40b a year or two after the initial production run. Probably from parts already in inventory. I wish they'd do that again, if they have any slides, frames, and barrels left.
All of these unusual offerings -- and I suspect I've forgotten or don't know about several others -- is just to make the point that you can never predict what-in-hell CZ is going to do next. A lot of the offerings might've been an effort to throw stuff against the wall to see what would stick.

All that written, a reader might understand why I'm surprised we never saw an alloy-framed full size gun.

Maybe CZ felt the polymer-framed Phantom addressed the need for a lighter full-size gun, as the Phantom weighs in at 29.4 oz, which is just 1.3 oz. heavier than the P-01, (but 11 ounces less than the similarly sized SP-01). Unhappily, the Phantom is apparently not available in a "convertible" Omega or safety-only format. (When comparing specs on the CZ website, I was surprised to see that the RAMI weighs just 3.5 ounces less than the Phantom!!)

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; February 15, 2018 at 10:54 AM.