The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old April 10, 2017, 12:01 PM   #1
Roshi

FN 1922 Date of Production?

When I was a teenager my Dad showed me his FN 1922 which was a bring back from WWII. He did not share the story behind it.

He, while a soldier, was not a handgun person. He couldn't get it to feed right so I looked at it and figured out that he was using .32 S&W not .32 ACP! It would fire one round and jam. Once he got the right ammo it ran like a charm. Unfortunately after I moved away, before I could stop him, he turned it into the police during a NY State amnesty program.

Fast forward to today when as soon as I got my C&R I got a nice FN 1922 shooter. It was refinished a long time ago and most of the important markings have been removed or damaged. It is serial 199XXX and has matching numbers on frame, barrel, slide, and slide extension. It has three Waffen stamps (Frame, slide, barrel) but none are crisp. I'll post some pictures when I get some good ones.

The reason for my post is FN 1922 serial numbers are confusing to me and I've never seen a definitive list. From what I've read I believe my pistol is likely 1943 manufacture. Can anyone confirm?
Old April 19, 2017, 08:38 AM   #2
Drachenstein

The problem is at that time they would start a new series of numbers with every contract, You 'll have better luck counting serrations to attempt to fix which decade it was made. Waffen stamps also pretty much narrow it down. This gun fortunately has been overlooked by history, but is every bit a Browning like the 1911, 1903, or Hi Power. John Browning carried a FN 1910 (it's pappy), until the day he died. you could try "FN Browning Pistols, Side Arms that Shaped the World History: Expanded Second Edition". I've got a few; I prefer the post war 1922s, and do carry one.

Another great little .32 is the Ortgies - incredibly accurate due the the barrel being fixed to the receiver. It received a bum wrap though due to misunderstanding the safety, and morons shooting themselves in the leg.
Old April 25, 2017, 10:10 AM   #3
Roshi

Thanks! I do have that book and as you note, serial numbers are confusing. I'll try counting serrations.

This particular pistol came with original but post war Browning ivory Franzite grips.

I'm in the process of rust bluing the pistol and have purchased some nice walnut grips. It will be a shooter and something I may pass on to a grandson.

Thanks for the tip on the Ortgies.

I'll always thought the most important safety was the one between your ears.
Old June 24, 2017, 08:38 PM   #4
Seamus Mc

What a damning indictment of those ridiculous gun buy back programs. A fine older gentleman and veteran is duped into giving away what should have been a cherished family heirloom and genuine piece of history. Such a sad story.