The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 12, 2020, 02:26 PM   #1
oso55

New to Virginia, looking for hunting partners

Hello all,

It's been a long time since I've visited TFL. I move around a lot, and normally I walk into a gun store and can get the gist of the particular eccentricities of hunting that area, but I recently moved to the northern part of VA, and the gun stores here seem to be very tacti-cool rather than hunting oriented.

Is anyone looking for a hunting partner? I'm looking to hunt small game, deer, and waterfowl. I haven't purchased tags yet (JUST got here), but if anyone's looking for someone to beat trails with, let me know, I'm in!

I don't know the area well, and could really use the help.

Also, this may be off-topic, but does anyone know good places to shoot sporting clays or trap within about an hour of NoVA?
Old October 13, 2020, 05:30 AM   #2
Msauter

Bull Run Shooting Center, part of the NoVa park system
Old October 14, 2020, 01:43 PM   #3
shortround60

Oso,

Welcome to NoVa. I too am a transplant to this corner of the state. I spent lots of time up here manning tables at gun shows and running a reloading shop in addition to my day job. First of all, you will have better luck encountering "hunter friendly" gun shops over tacti-cool by venturing westward along either the 66 or 234 corridor depending on your part of NoVa. If you are north of Lorton, venture westward and angle towards areas where the Maryland & West Virginia state lines converge with VA's (Rte 15). If you are south of Woodbridge, head toward the lower part of Stafford, Spotsylvania County or little towns like Remington. You will find plenty of shops more geared toward hunting. The options for public or readily available hunting spots are rather limited. You should look up your nearest Izaak Walton League spot and kind of hang out there. You could also start inquiring about the Virginia Gun Collector's Association, as they have great people and resources. Last, but not least you can view the Virginia Gun Trader site, as there are some great people on there too. Once again, welcome to the area and best of luck.
Old October 14, 2020, 08:07 PM   #4
oso55

Thanks much!

Msauter, thanks, I'll look it up.

Shortround, thanks for the advice. I'll have to head to some of those towns and see what I find. I'm noticing, looking around the internet, that there is a definite shortage of public hunting opportunity compared to the other places I've been.

Thanks again to you both.
Old October 17, 2020, 01:14 PM   #5
T. O'Heir

Joining a shooting club will likely be your best bet. Opens a lot of doors.
I'd be thinking that Northern Virginia is a big place. Where you are might matter.
Old October 17, 2020, 06:18 PM   #6
big al hunter

Check out On X hunting app for maps that show property ownership and will help you find public land. It has contact information for land owners so you can ask for permission, or offer to work for permission to hunt. You can purchase maps for a single state, or all 50.

Check Facebook and other social media for hunting groups that help connect hunters with other hunters or land owners.