The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 1, 2010, 05:43 PM   #1
UltraMK

Ammo for an AR10?

Just bought a sweet AR10. Now I am looking for .308 ammo. I was wondering what you guys recommend for the following purposes:

1) General Shooting and fun (Cheap as possible but not bad for the rifle).

2) Precision shooting and good quality.
Also, any recommendations for bulk buying as fas as web site.

3) Medium grade...affordable and good to shoot.
Old October 1, 2010, 06:24 PM   #2
DnPRK

"Cheap" ammo and "precise" are opposites. Cheap means lack of quality such as varying powder weights, non-concentric bullet jackets, varying bullet weights, Etc. Surplus military ammo was surplussed for a reason, usually due to poor storage or because it failed accuracy/reliability tests.

Do like the rest of us who want to hit what we aim at...reload.
168 or 175 SMKs seated to magazine length over 42 grains of IMR-4895 or Varget works well in 308 ARs. If you refuse to reload, search for deals on Federal Gold Metal Match or Black Hills' 168/175 SMK match. But it won't be "cheap".
Old October 5, 2010, 10:46 PM   #3
DaleA

I think UltraMK is looking for three different brand name suggestions for the different shooting he does.

Your suggestion of Federal Gold Metal Match or Black Hills' 168/175 SMK match sounds like just what he needs for his #2 requirement.

I don't have any recommendations at all as far as brand names go but reloading is certainly worth a thought.
Old October 6, 2010, 09:45 AM   #4
Snuffy308

Check Aim Surplus for Radway Green (British Surplus). My Armalite AR-10 loves it and shoots better than MOA with it. It's fairly reasonable.

Quote:
You need to decide what side of the cross you're on. We need nailers not hangers.
Old October 6, 2010, 10:06 AM   #5
precision_shooter

Wolf Gold is decent ammo and can be had pretty cheap when you can find it. It functioned well in my R-25 that I had. I've also heard good things about the Prvi Partisan ammo as well, but have not shot any.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old October 6, 2010, 11:00 AM   #6
KLRANGL

Quote:
Wolf Gold is decent ammo and can be had pretty cheap when you can find it. It functioned well in my R-25 that I had. I've also heard good things about the Prvi Partisan ammo as well, but have not shot any.
Wolf Gold is made by Prvi Partizan
It's just re-branded as far as I know.
Old October 6, 2010, 07:42 PM   #7
SadistAssassin

Remington UMC 150gr FMJBT. Very good ammo. That all my DPMS lr-308 gets to see. About 18bucks for 20
Old October 6, 2010, 07:46 PM   #8
srkavanagh6621

On cheaper than dirt you can get a 200 round battle pack for $85 and it cycles very well and has decent accuracy! pretty good deal for cheap ammo!
Old October 6, 2010, 09:00 PM   #9
Toxdoc

http://www.classicarms.us/ammunition.htm

Scroll down. $170 for 400 rounds of Radway Green. My LR-308L and AP4 both like it.

Tags
not hangers.