The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 30, 2007, 09:36 PM   #1
Acetyl

Specials or sales on presses

I haven't totally decided on which press. So, does anyone know of any specials or sales currently running? Is there a "better" time of the year to pick one up?

I have done extensive research (and think I know which one I want) but want to make sure I have turned over every stone.

I have looked at:

Dealers (Dillon, Lee, Hornady)
Ebay
Brainenos
Kempf
Boseguns
Cliffsgsr
Midway
MidSouth
EGuns
Lockstock
Big box type stores (Cabelea's and Bass).

Have I missed any dealers I should not have?

Thanks,
Acetyl
Old July 31, 2007, 12:14 AM   #2
buckster

LEE

I got the Lee Classic Turrent for 89.00. Then get you a great scale/ charger RCBS or equivalent, a Hand primer and a funnel, maybe a trickler, and a flex light to illuminate the charge. A kinetic puller, and lots of ammo boxes. if you can, pick up all the brass you can at the range. The Lee scale is ... hard to read, and the auto prime II is optional. Start with the basics, and decide how you want to expand it.
Old July 31, 2007, 07:18 AM   #3
Martyn4802

I have not seen loading presses on sale, per se. Lee and RCBS have package deals, kits, that they sell that are a good deal because you get a price break on them.
Kit prices don't vary, so just buy one and start loading. You'll need to buy and read a couple of manuals on how to reload before you start.
Buckster covered the things you'll need in addition to the kit. You might want to get a dial micrometer to do the measuring required too.

Martyn
Old July 31, 2007, 07:59 AM   #4
caz223

Brian Enos all the way for dillon stuff!!!!
He answers calls, a voice on the other end of the line that knows what you're going through when you can't figure stuff out is invaluable, no matter what price you paid. Buy from Brian! He used to give 20% off dillons MSRP years ago, you missed it, now if you buy dillon new, you pay MSRP.

As always, reloading presses and components go UP at random times of the year, so the best time to buy any reloading stuff is always the present, prices may go up at any time.
If you find a sweet deal on something you need, BUY IT NOW, no matter what it is. Blue, red, green, or orange. Even if you pay a dollar more, if you wait, prices may go up 20% again for no reason, and with no warning.
I stocked up on components a few years back and it saved me thousands compared to current prices.
Of course, the other side of the coin is that if you don't know what you want, the only way you can buy what you need is by mistake.
And of course, if you didn't buy what you needed, no matter what kind of sweet deal you got on it, you paid too much, because you can't use it.

Last edited by caz223; July 31, 2007 at 08:04 AM. Reason: clarification
Old July 31, 2007, 08:33 AM   #5
Acetyl

Excellent point caz223. Thanks Martyn and Buckster. I am just finishing up ABC's though, admittedly, I did not read every page (I'm not reloading rifle any time soon).

As I enter any new project or hobby, I research in-depth and wanted to make sure I had covered my bases as far as dealers.

Acetyl
Old July 31, 2007, 08:37 AM   #6
remshooter

Natchez Shooter Supply.

Sometimes they have specials.
Old July 31, 2007, 09:06 AM   #7
Smokey Joe

Turning over stones

Acetyl--Hope this doesn't come across as too harsh. But:
Quote:
make sure I have turned over every stone.
You are doing a very thorough job of shopping--and that's commendable. However (there is always that darn "however!") if you are dead set on checking out EVERY SINGLE POSSIBILITY you will spend the rest of your life checking out possibilities. You will never get to the stage of actually buying what you are ostensibly after, and starting to use it for the intended purpose.

If you are new to reloading, you are not going to get the perfect loading press with your first purchase, anyhow, no matter what you buy nor how good a deal you get on it--because as you gain experience, your needs/wants/tastes will change over time, and you'll end up wishing you had something else.

Reason I know the above? I was that way once myself. It had to be perfect, first time out. Plus, it had to be the best deal in the whole wide world. And BOY, did I waste a lot of time and effort and irritation (mine and others') all to no avail. Now I'm older, possibly wiser, certainly much more relaxed and happier.

Botom line: Find a decent deal on a good-name piece of equipment. Then BUY IT and start using it. Beyond a certain point, shopping forever is a waste of time--unless your real hobby is shopping.

Suggestion: Midway USA currently has a sale on at least a couple of reloading starter-kits. www.midwayusa.com

Good luck on your quest. Keep us posted on your purchase!

--Smokey Joe
Old July 31, 2007, 09:07 AM   #8
Rimrod

If you look at the Lee website they have a page for clearance items, I forget what they call it though. They usually have presses that have cosmetic blemishes at reduced prices. Make sure you compare their prices to Natchez Shooters Supplies to make sure they really are a deal.
Old July 31, 2007, 10:10 AM   #9
Jart

Smokey Joe nailed it.

This stuff seldom gets cheaper.

The Hornady bullet promotion seems to have been successful - at least successful enough that MidSouth is sold out of APs and not looking for any before 9/24. Midway is higher but at least has them. If you're interested in the free bullet promotion I wouldn't let much grass grow under your feet.

The Redding Big Boss is discounted pretty well at MidSouth - I don't know if it's getting discontinued due to the Big Boss II or not but the older model is priced nicely if you can live without the primer catheter. I snagged one as I was in need of a single stage. At around 105.00 it's still more than the Lee Classic Cast but the light green went better with the drapes in my room.

Lee's stuff is always priced pretty good anywhere but Lee. Kempf has a pretty hot package if you're interested in the turret.

Brian Enos might be running Dillon MSRP but it appears he still picks up the freight for orders over 400.00. That's not a difficult price point to hit with Dillon. My XL-650 with all the dis'n'dats was waybilled at over 100 pounds so the freight may not be negligible.

Have fun, stay safe.
Old July 31, 2007, 10:19 AM   #10
caz223

I think smokey joe and I were basically saying the same thing.
As in computers or cars, or anything else, you will never find the 'perfect' car computer, or reloading press. They don't make one. There will always be a flaw, somewhere. If you buy name brand stuff, and stick with the reloading manuals, apply the common sense 'patch' and BUY IT, you'll be happy!!!!
If you do find the perfect computer, chances are, you've looked for it for so long that now it's obsolete.
If you need a car because you don't have one, you just buy one that's close by that works, and it in your price range, just to avoid walking.
Once you have a car, you can begin the process of researching exactly the one you need without taking the bus to work.
Until you bought your first car, you thought you knew exactly the car you wanted. Once you bought a car, your needs changed, didn't they? Your second car bore little resemblance to your first, most likely.
Same with reloading, you never really know what you're going to need because your needs ARE going to CHANGE.
Buy something that works, learn as you go, and upgrade as you see fit. Close enough for now. You are now better informed and more likely to know what you'll need in 6 months. Forums are great because you don't need to make your own mistakes, but you will never buy exactly what you need the first time, because nobody uses the same presses the same way. What works for everyone else may/may not work for you. Buy the most versatile tool you can, and use it the way it works best for you.
I've actually typed so much now, I'm beginning to bore myself, and for that I apologize, but if you're reading this far I hope you get something useful out of my ramblings.

Last edited by caz223; July 31, 2007 at 10:34 AM. Reason: phrasing
Old July 31, 2007, 10:37 AM   #11
rantingredneck

Just a few weeks ago bought my Lee Deluxe Turret kit on sale for 89.00 at Midway. That sale ended on July 1st, but keep your eye open for others like it.
Old July 31, 2007, 11:40 AM   #12
chaad

Used presses

I have hit a couple great deals by monitoring www.craigslist.org Every time I travel, I look at all the towns I will be going through and punch "reload" and "reloading" into the search engine. Both times I have gotten things for way less than retail. Usually they will have a single stage press, a couple four sets of dies, and some bullets. On one of them I got a couple scales and all the bullet prep and a buncha brass. I have seen Ebay go higher than new, and it's one item at a time. I have nearly 2 of everything and 7 sets of dies, all under $300.

I will be moving to a progressive press soon, but by then I will have had a chance to figure out what I like and don't like about the accessory gear. I will always want a single stage press around for eggspearminting, and I can ebay the spare stuff and pay for the trial period.

By the way, Craigslist never has any reloading stuff in Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, or any other locations I will list later so don't even look there.
Old July 31, 2007, 12:30 PM   #13
Smokey Joe

Thx, Chaad!!!

Chaad--Thx for suggesting Craigslist as a place to browse for "stuff!"

Just wasted about 1/2 hour there, darn. Didn't find anything to pursue, but there were some awfully interesting listings. Apparently everybody but everybody buys exercise equipment, uses it for a couple months, then sells it.

And there was one lovely ad--for "sport sticks," wood and metal, size 12, sometimes used to break clay flying saucers, maker "win****ter." FASCINATING!!! Honest, I didn't make this up.

Does Craigslist have a "politically correct" view of guns and shooting, or what?

--Smokey Joe
Old July 31, 2007, 12:55 PM   #14
1911 Shooter

Gun clubs, pistol & rifle ranges, traders post, are where you find the best deals.
Old July 31, 2007, 01:19 PM   #15
chaad

Craigslist and guns

Craigslist originated in Kaliforeignia, so they are developmentally deficient when it comes to firearms. I too have seen ads such as "barrel for sale, Remington model 870, comes with accessories such as complete receiver, stock and forend." People get around it, but answer quick 'cause some commie will rat you out.

I like Craigslist because it's face to face. I have bought scopes and motorcycle parts off it too. You are right about the exercising equip. A guy could buy Bowflexes or treadmills in the spring and sell around Christmas and do pretty well. Probably to the same people.

Sorry Smokey, but I just checked and there is no Craigslist for the State of Confusion.
Old July 31, 2007, 07:04 PM   #16
Edward429451

My first press was a RCBS rockchucker. My needs changed, my Dillon progressive(s) and Corbin showed up, much stuff was added, and I never have regretted the rockchucker. I still use it a lot and would never sell it off for any reason.
Old July 31, 2007, 07:15 PM   #17
Martyn4802

That Corbin press is a fine press. If I was in the market for a new press, that's the one I would buy.

Martyn
Old August 1, 2007, 09:58 PM   #18
amamnn

You might want to look for your press on the Graf and Sons' website. They pay the freight on orders over $25.00. They do charge a handling fee, but I find that about 2/3 of the time their bottom line price is less than Midway, Midsouth, Natchez or any other site. They sell most of the same brands and items that the others do.

They have a pretty good price on what is arguably the best precision press you can put on your bench--sorry-- you missed the sale, but still----------

http://www.grafs.com/metallic/product/145748

darn--it's out of stock right now--the price must be better than I thought
Old August 2, 2007, 09:29 PM   #19
rn22723

Contact John Walton
at Gunstop Reloading
www.gunstop.com he has all brands and is competively priced and he is great to deal with!
Old August 2, 2007, 10:11 PM   #20
BigJakeJ1s

The Corbin CSP-1 doesn't do much for me. I like my co-ax better.

But the CSP-2, hubba-hubba!

Andy
Old August 3, 2007, 09:54 PM   #21
tarheelshooter

You better hurry if you want to buy any gun or reloading items off of ebay.In mid-august they will prohibit listings that have anything to do with the firing of a gun(including mags,parts,brass,bullets,etc.)http://www2.ebay.com/aw/core/200707301000452.html Check out the posts in the general discussion forums.http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...highlight=ebay when you sign up for the e-mail listings on Midway,they have several "special price" sales a year that are only for e-blast members.I just received an e-mail a little while ago that thay are having a sale this weekend.BTW there are several ebay petitions currently aimed at their new poicies.I urge you to sign if you feel it is right.