The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 4, 2012, 11:33 PM   #26
tahunua001

you need a 7mm rem mag, 303 brit, 8 mauser and 7.62x54R....
then I would say that you have a very well rounded collection.
Old December 5, 2012, 06:35 AM   #27
robertsig

Quote:
If you have gaps in your gun collection, I have giant caverns... each his own.
He he, agreed.

If you have anything between a .223 and a .30-06, I'd say that was sufficient. We all seem to slice and dice the differences between these calibers all day long, but they really are very close in size to one another. Fractions of a inch.
Old December 5, 2012, 07:22 AM   #28
Magnum Wheel Man

338-06 is too close to either the 30-06 or the 338 Win Mag ( since I handload ) IMO, to invest in a rifle in that caliber... 257 Roberts is too close to the 25-06 I already have... 7-30 is too close to the 7 X 57 that I already have... I have several 45-70's, just not one that fits in the bolt action rack... that or a 458 Win Mag, would go nicely under the 416... 303 & 7.62 X 54 are both too close to the '06 IMO, & I have another rack for "milsurps", & have a X54R in that rack... to go into this rack, the rifle would need to be "sporterized" my 7 X 57 is a sporterized Mauser likely done up in the 70's ???

I sat & looked at the rifles last night while I was sealing the inside of the ammo storage bench under these rifle racks, & right now I'm leaning towards 35 Whelen & 458 Win Mag... but still open for suggestions
Old December 5, 2012, 07:45 AM   #29
J2.

It's been said, "Beware of the man with one rifle. Because he most likely knows how to use it."
Old December 5, 2012, 07:58 AM   #30
Magnum Wheel Man

J2... heard that quote before... I think that may have been true "back in the day" but today... I think there are more single gun owners that don't know how to shoot, as there are those that do...

I have my own range, so I get the chance, whenever I can find the time... doesn't make me a sharp shooter or anything, but as a collector, I can probably pick up just about any gun, & know what caliber it is, & how to shoot it, well enough to out shoot someone else who is also not familiar with it...

they bring me joy, & now that I can display them on the wall, they bring me alot more, & I sleep so much better at night, knowing they are "really" safe, when I'm not at home
Old December 5, 2012, 08:39 AM   #31
Chaz88

I would look at the 7mm Rem Mag and the .257 Weatherby

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old December 5, 2012, 08:44 AM   #32
Magnum Wheel Man

so is a 257 Weatherby that big of a jump over a 25-06 to justify buying a rifle in that caliber ???
Old December 5, 2012, 11:36 AM   #33
Picher

Have you shot or hunted much lately? If not, and you have that many rifles and kept them in crates, does it really matter what you buy next?

Just cut up a list of cartridges, put them in a hat, and draw one. Or...just go out and shoot a few that you already have and enjoy them. You're a very lucky guy and don't even know it.
Old December 5, 2012, 11:45 AM   #34
Magnum Wheel Man

I thank God every day... I have a great life... I do love to hunt, but lately work has been busy in the fall, so I haven't been out the last couple years... that said, big game ( deer ) around here are shotgun slugs, or handguns, so the last several years I went, I used Contenders...

... was out "west" hunting Elk / Mulies a couple years ago, & took the 338 & 375 out west with me...

so since I have my own 300 yard rifle range, most of the center fire stuff just gets exercised on the range... the lil 17 Mach 2 has taken more than it's share of Rabbits, those pesty Red Pine Squirrels, & Racoons the dog has treed over the last couple years...

I'm trying to have a good balance between caliber range, & power through out the bolt actions in my collection... I know I'm a lucky guy
Old December 5, 2012, 12:02 PM   #35
TheGoldenState

Willing to give out any info. or pics on the walk-in safe room?

i've always wanted one.

Did you take a spare bedroom and reinforce the frame and add vault doors?
Old December 5, 2012, 01:41 PM   #36
Magnum Wheel Man

I haven't put up any pics... yet... but have a thread here...

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500179

BTW... I wanted to swap out my collector .270 Herters rifle for a more modern .270... stopped in the LGS... ( this guy keeps a quite large inventory )... not one .270 in the store but he had a nice used Rem 700 in 35 Whelen... I think I may have to try to work out a deal on ???

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; December 5, 2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old December 5, 2012, 03:38 PM   #37
johnwilliamson062

I think your more pressing dilemma is your duplicates. It simply does not look professional to have multiples of some chamberings with only a single example of others. You either need to make multiple walk-in vaults with individual collections or store your duplicates in another location outside the view of your great collection. Multiple vaults sounds like a real pain. I have a suitable location in mind. Contact me by PM for details of how I can be of help
Old December 5, 2012, 05:02 PM   #38
Magnum Wheel Man

do you have 2 different rooms for my '06s... & 4 different rooms for my 45-70's ???
Old December 5, 2012, 05:49 PM   #39
J2.

My point being, I own a few guns and I shoot each of them as often as possible. I can not shoot them for an extended period of time and still when I do, shoot each of them accurately and naturally. If you collect guns have fun doing it, if you own for a purpose, shoot them and enjoy them. We will all need them at some point in the future!
Old December 5, 2012, 07:32 PM   #40
stu925

My vote is for the .280 Rem, it's a great cartridge and very accurate. Last I knew Remington was still chambering the Mountain Rifle in .280 and Ruger still chambers the M77 Hawkeye Sporter in it. Unfortunately I can't check Remington's web site (seems it's down right now) to see if they still chamber for it.

Stu
Old December 5, 2012, 07:44 PM   #41
Hunter Customs

I have a Remington 700 DBM in 280 caliber.
It has a 24 inch stainless steel barrel and receiver, a real nice synthetic stock and a 3x9 Leuopold scope mounted on it.

The rifle feels great to hold and shoot, it looks great and will shoot 3/4 inch groups at a 100 yards all day long and that's using Remington factory ammo.
If you could find one like it I would bet you would be extremely pleased to have it on your wall.

Also have a sweetheart of a Savage 99 in 300 Savage caliber. You might want to consider some old Savage 99s to hang on your wall, they are great rifles.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old December 6, 2012, 01:39 AM   #42
TheGoldenState

Quote:
I haven't put up any pics... yet... but have a thread here...
Yes, I'm familiar, in fact I commented in it.

We need visuals now!

Hell, throw in some of your range, too, while you're at it.
Old December 6, 2012, 06:40 AM   #43
Magnum Wheel Man

off topic... but here are a couple of my range...

thread on my range... here http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=300681

BTW... talked to my retired machinist buddy, & he has a 7 Mag, that he wants to sell, & told me he'd sell me the 444 Marlin bolt action if I wanted it... so if I sell the Remington 600 in 6mm Remington, I'd have room for the 7 Mag, the 35 Whelen the LGS has, & the 444 Marlin... I think that will give me a well rounded bolt action "library"... another buddy was forced to sell his 7 Mag rifle many years ago, & still has a bunch of empty cases & a few handloads ( he's had a few handload "issues" in the past, so I'd likely pull the bullets, & dump the powder, but I could help him out, & get some extra cases )... my buddy with the rifle, likes to sell the dies & cases he has as a package, when he sells a rifle, so I'd get the 7 Mag dies, & a few more cases... the 444 I already load for, for a specialized Contender barrel, but again I'd get the dies that I could dedicate for this rifle & more cases with that rifle... just would leave me looking for 35 Whelen stuff

that would make my list look more like this...

17 Mach 2
17 Fireball
22 Hornet ( fast twist )
22-250
25-06
7 X 57
7 mm Magnum
30-06
338 Win Mag
35 Whelen
375 H&H
.416 Rigby
444 Marlin
53 caliber

That looks better...

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; December 6, 2012 at 07:21 AM.
Old December 6, 2012, 07:31 AM   #44
PatientWolf

That is a problem. I feel for you.
Old December 6, 2012, 04:01 PM   #45
mach1.3

Sharps .50-90 or .50-110 would put some higher end kick back in your collection. Someone mentioned a Remington 600 in 6mm---.244, I like mine and it will outperform the .243 by a margin. Your 25-06 is one of my favorite calibers. Ever think about going with a .220 Swift? Where's the venerable
.22LR? When the EWOS go out---you'll be in better position than most.
Old December 6, 2012, 04:35 PM   #46
Magnum Wheel Man

I have a pair of bolt action 22's both are CZ / BRNO & will go with those rifles
Old December 6, 2012, 07:28 PM   #47
taylorce1

Maybe you shouldn't be focusing on cartridges at all because with your collection whatever you buy will overlap anyway. Time to maybe invest in some old G&H custom rifles based on the 1903 Springfield or similar. Pick up that hard to find rifle you always dremed of like a true Kurz short action mauser in .250-3000. Or find a custom rifle from a long dead or current gunsmith that you always admired.
Old December 9, 2012, 03:14 AM   #48
lefteyedom

My 2 cents

6.5/06 Ackley improved.

308 norma/30-338 just to be different, 0r a 300 weatherby.
Old December 17, 2012, 07:49 AM   #49
Magnum Wheel Man

Well I did some horse trading, & got a really nice older Remington 700, in 35 Whelen ( LGS didn't think it has ever been shot, came from an estate, & the previous ower had several 35 Whelans ) this is a really nice looking rifle, has quite a few handling dings, but mechanically looks unfired...

I think it looks nice between my 2 stainless Stalkers on the right side...

I'm still trying to decide, what to fill the spot ( 2nd down on the left ) between 7 X 57 & 30-06... the 2 I'm most considering right now ( partly because my current 7 X 57 is on a 93 Mauser, so I can't really load that one at max ), is 280 Remington, or 7mm Magnum... I have a buddy that would sell me either, & another buddy that has alot of extra 7 mag cases... I'm leaning towards the mag, because there will be more jump over my 93 Mauser, & I already did a 30-06 base cartridge with the 35 Whelen... but I have yet to look at either rifle... one may just wink & smile at me, & whisper "take me home" either would be a fine addition...

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; December 20, 2012 at 07:54 AM.
Old December 20, 2012, 07:58 AM   #50
Magnum Wheel Man

came down with some nasty "crud" & don't want to expose my home bound retired buddy to it, so I haven't gotten introduced to his girls yet, & got the chance to pick one...

I did get my foam & vinyl installed on my storage benches under my bolt guns though