The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 15, 2015, 01:56 PM   #1
ATN082268

How often to disassemble pump shotgun for cleaning?

I have a Mossberg 590A1 pump shotgun and was wondering how often it should be disassembled for cleaning. So far I haven't put too many rounds through it and have cleaned all areas I can get to without taking it apart. Thank you.
Old September 15, 2015, 02:17 PM   #2
gunut

every 20yrs......clean barrel , wipe out action,,,,wipe down outside....for the 1st 19..
Old September 15, 2015, 02:28 PM   #3
BigJimP

After every range trip or field hunting trip or whatever....or every time you shoot it ...in my opinion.

And that includes dropping the trigger group out, etc.../ and properly lubing and reassembling.../ after you've done it a dozen times, it a 20 - 30 min job is all.

But then that's why some of my pump guns are still looking good / and have no issues...after 40 yrs...and 250,000 shells or more probably...

A pair of BPS - Hunter models..that I bought new in the late 70's or early 80's....one in 12ga, one in 20ga.../ and they've been thru 2 adult boys now...and are starting thru the 3rd and 4th grandchild...as training guns with light loads...

http://thefiringline.com/forums/atta...4&d=1280430875

Last edited by BigJimP; September 15, 2015 at 02:33 PM.
Old September 15, 2015, 03:50 PM   #4
FITASC

Depends on the cleaning you are talking about. A basic cleaning should be done each time; a deep cleaning after it's been dunked or at least once a year. The issue with pushing out some pins is that they were not intended to be pushed out maybe more than a few times total - taking the trigger group out is one thing, taking the trigger group apart is another...............................
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old September 15, 2015, 04:18 PM   #5
MarkCO

I have an 870 Express that has been cleaned maybe three times in 27 years. Runs fine, has about 10K through it. If it gets wet, I hose out the receiver with CLP and I wipe off the outside. My Nova and FNH P12 have not yet been cleaned. They are tougher than people think.
Old September 15, 2015, 04:20 PM   #6
Virginian

Browning specifically says NOT to take the trigger group out of the BPS. I wipe everything I can get to without disassembly and look up in the action on my Wingmaster, and it it starts to look dirty I clean it.
Old September 15, 2015, 04:43 PM   #7
eastbank

i take the wood off every 3-4 years and spray with gun scrubber and work the inside of the action with a small tooth brush,respraying again,air blow dry and lightly lube. the longest owned shotgun i have is a mid sixties 870 rem that has shot many thousands of shells thru three generations of shooters with no problems at all. eastbank.
Old September 15, 2015, 08:59 PM   #8
rcase1234

I'm also a fan of a once a year cleaning on pump guns. Keep the barrel looking good and wipe it down then give it a good scrub inside the receiver and such once a year. Even after a year you'll notice it ain't bad
Old September 15, 2015, 11:54 PM   #9
idek

Whuh?... they can be disassembled???
Old September 16, 2015, 01:31 PM   #10
T. O'Heir

Read the manual. From Page 10:
"Mossberg recommends thorough cleaning of your firearm after every 200 rounds. However, unusually dusty, dirty, or harsh weather conditions, or use of
ammunition which leaves significant powder residue may require more frequent cleaning."
http://www.mossberg.com/wp-content/u...505-590-en.pdf
Old September 16, 2015, 01:56 PM   #11
BigJimP

Dropping the trigger group out of a BPS ...is not a big deal / and with a little bit of common sense and attention to detail, its easily done ...and does not damage anything.

Yes, I understand Browning says ... "No further disassembly for normal maintenance is suggested" - beyond removing the barrel, etc.....but manuals for a lot of shotguns don't suggest you take a gun apart past the basics.../ but that's probably because they think the average shooter is incompetent when it comes to basic mechanical skills - and will take a hammer to it or something stupid and expect Browning to fix it after they break it. Its a sad commentary on our times, in my view

In fact many of us will take any brand new pump gun apart - before we shoot it - just to get the extra grease and preservative out of it from storage and shipping....and lube it and reassemble before we would ever shoot it ( and all of the guys I shoot with feel that way - but we're all over 60 yrs old too - and know how to do it right ! ).

Some of us even take the stocks off of our Browning Over Unders at least twice a year - to clean them out as well ...and you will see that is not suggested by the mfg either...but I think its smart to know how to do it right / and to maintain your gun properly - or you could pay a gunsmith to do it - if you're afraid of doing it.

Like FITASC said...taking the trigger group entirely apart is a different deal - and should not be done unless you have the experience and knowledge to do it...

but dropping the trigger group out of any brand of pump shotgun - might teach you something about your firearm..../ and done with the right tools and some common sense....can be rewarding / because you're taking better care of the gun in my view. As a long time shooter - and hunter - I take a lot of pride in knowing how to take a gun down - and in teaching that skill to my grown adult kids - and now my grandkids ( on shotguns, handguns, etc...)....but heed the lawyers that wrote the owners manual if you choose to...
Old September 18, 2015, 07:31 AM   #12
Mike38

I have a ~30 year old Mossberg 500 and a 20 year old Maverick 88 and neither has had more than the barrel removed for cleaning. Just wipe out the big chunks and call it good.
Old September 18, 2015, 08:05 AM   #13
A pause for the COZ

Not too much.
Pretty sure my Gramdpa's model 12 Win 16 ga. Other than a swipe through the bore and some drops of oil.
Had never been cleaned since 1924 when he got it.
Old September 18, 2015, 06:23 PM   #14
bamaranger

when

I just don't want a bunch of junk in my gun. So my pumps get torn down at lea after a bad rain, or a trip into the dust or dirt for whatever reason. And for sure at the end of the gobbler season for storeage.

My 870 went to the woods about 25 trips this spring, and the crap that came out of it on any occassion I tore it down was noteable. Why leave all that in there for years +?
Old September 28, 2015, 11:27 PM   #15
Chucky64

My experience this year

I have been shooting trap weekly, about 200 rounds and have been thinking
how dirty my BPS internals were getting. I completely disassembled the
shotgun and was so surprised the gun was pristine clean and was
chagrined at the total waist of time disassembling and reassembling
the gun. My thoughts, I would not do it again for the next five years.
I was used to shooting lead bullets for all my reloads and used
to the fouling that the lead reloads caused for my pistols and carbines.
The shotgun shell contains the mess and cleaning of the barrel and
choke are all that is really needed. Just follow the lubrication specifications
in your owners manual. Yes I live in a semiarid climate so moisture is
not a big concern for me.