The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 1, 2011, 08:10 AM   #1
wpcexpert

Exposed lead based bullets in Semi-auto Rifle?

I was looking thru midway, browsing bullets and saw where a guy was ranting about the bullets he bought for loading to shoot in his AR. He said that the exposed lead base would ruin the gas system.

Any truth to this? I have some and don't want to damage a rifle due to ignorance.
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson
Old February 1, 2011, 08:21 AM   #2
Mobuck

Almost all FMJ bullets are open at the base. A bajillion rounds have been fired through the AR platform with this type bullet so I don't think this guy's rant is valid.
Old February 1, 2011, 08:30 AM   #3
jaguarxk120

The ignorance is in the guy posting that the exposed lead base will ruin the gas system.
Old February 1, 2011, 08:31 AM   #4
wogpotter

Quote:
Any truth to this?
NONE.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old February 1, 2011, 08:55 AM   #5
kraigwy

I've shot tons of cast bullets in my gas guns, M1A, M1, and my ARs with out any ill effects.

What I do get out of cast bullets is good cheap practice. You'd be surprised what shooting cast bullet out of your gas gun (or any rifle) at 50 ft NRA Small Bore targets in Offhand (standing) position will do to your abilities with your rifle.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old February 1, 2011, 09:29 AM   #6
rjrivero

DON'T DO IT.....

Not because it can't be done. You're not going to hurt your gun by shooting appropriate sized lead projectiles at appropriate velocities.

You will find out it's accurate, and cheap. You'll also find out you can cast your own bullets. You'll end up buying your own casting gear, then you'll end up chasing down wheel weights, and lead from the local recyclers, and quite honestly I DON'T NEED THE COMPETITION!!
Old February 1, 2011, 09:59 AM   #7
wpcexpert

Thanks guys. Once again, the plethora of knowledge and experience brought to the table by this forum, triumphs over evil.

This dude was on Midway's site commenting on Armscor 62gr FMJ.

Quote:
Roberto Torres of Northport, NY Date posted: 7/16/2010

I can't shoot these in my AR. Yes the lead core is exposed at the base. The base you would add a copper plate or gas check to avoid leading. This bullet is the opposite. I could not believe my eyes. Do you realize the damage this can do to the gas system in an ar. I would not even shoot these from any rifle I have even a bolt rifle. I mean the core lead totally exposed to the hot gases right at the base.
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson
Old February 1, 2011, 11:22 AM   #8
wogpotter

Just another "Internet egg spurt" going off for no good reason.

IIRC you can't put a
Quote:
copper plate or gas check to avoid leading
onto the back of an FMJ that is a technique used for lead (unjacketed) pistol rounds. The edges of the gas check have to be crimped into the softer lead alloy of the bullet to stay in place during firing.

I wonder what prompts these twits to make such fools of themselves publicly? The fact no-one sees them directly so they are immune to reproach because of the separation from replies?

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”