The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old April 17, 2022, 04:01 PM   #1
CarpeDiem

Selling a firearm

There is currently a thread about a firearm transfer. I realize that there literally billions of thing I don’t know but . . . In reading the thread my question is, if a friend comes to visit from out of state and they want to buy a weapon from me as a private transaction, we have to find an FFL to be a middleman? Of course I am assuming the friend is legally able to purchase.

In reading the posts on that thread it sounds like that is what you should do. While I personally am not selling anything currently. I’m very surprised if true.
Old April 17, 2022, 04:22 PM   #2
JohnKSa
Staff

If you reside in one state, a firearm transfer to a person who is not a resident of your state must involve an FFL. If the firearm is a handgun, the FFL must be operating in the state where the recipient resides.

The only exception to that is that if you die, you can bequeath a firearm to a person residing in another state.
Old April 17, 2022, 04:35 PM   #3
CarpeDiem

Well goooolly, Sgt Carter that is good to know. I sincerely Thank you for the enlightenment.
Old April 17, 2022, 04:39 PM   #4
Pahoo

When in doubt, use the FFL services

Quote:
In reading the posts on that thread it sounds like that is what you should do
IMHO' When in doubt. go through a local FFL You will always encounter "What-If" and second-guessers. ......

I once made a deal Weatherby rifle, at a Gun Show. We settled on the price and
and then the seller lowered his gaze, apologized and stated that he wanted to go through one of the local FFL's at the show and that he would pay the fee. I replies; Not a problem and the only thing was the wait on the process. He graciously thanked me and I returned the compliment. There are many gun-guys who feel it's BS to go through this but we all walked away "happy"

The FFL dealer just smiled and did not charge the guy anythig. ...

Be Safe !!!
Old April 17, 2022, 07:18 PM   #5
CarpeDiem

Your comment “when in doubt” is very valid. Except in this case I didn’t know, what I didn’t know.
Old April 18, 2022, 07:37 AM   #6
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnKSa View Post
If you reside in one state, a firearm transfer to a person who is not a resident of your state must involve an FFL. If the firearm is a handgun, the FFL must be operating in the state where the recipient resides.

The only exception to that is that if you die, you can bequeath a firearm to a person residing in another state.
John nailed it as far as federal law goes. The only thing I would add is that you may have additional restrictions under your state's laws.