The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old August 15, 2022, 09:43 PM   #1
Shadow9mm

9mm pistol to suppress

So im just getting started. Hoping to get trust paperwork started next month. Doing a lot of reading and had some thoughts and questions.

Been suppressor shopping a bit, but it occurred to me that the pistol itself was a pretty darn important component as well.

I currently have a 5th gen g19, and a p365. I do plan on getting threaded barrels for both. However i was considering a dedicated full sized gun with a red dot as i expect the extra grip will help counter the extra weight out front.

Looking for a dead reliable combat style pistol. I want 9mm as it is my primary caliber and i hand load for it. I would prefer a polymer frame to keep weight down. i want to be able to mount a red dot. And i hate slide mounted safeties.

One thing i was trying to figure. Does a suppressor on a pistol increase slide velocity? If so does that increase wear and tear on the frame?

For a suppressor i was looking at the huxwrx (formerly oss) rad 9. I like the design concept. My though was the flow through design would decrease pressure and blowback reducing the battering on the frame. But watching videos of it on both pistols and submachineguns it still appears to have a fair ammo of gasses exited the ejection ports. But the baffle design does seem to lend itself to disassembly and cleaning.

I was also looking at the gemtech lunar 9 and the rugged obsidian 9

Last edited by Shadow9mm; August 15, 2022 at 10:20 PM.
Old August 16, 2022, 02:25 AM   #2
zoomie

If you like the G19, get the G45 MOS.
Old August 16, 2022, 02:32 PM   #3
Shadow9mm

I had considered the 19x, almost forgot about the 45. Just was not sure how well glocks ran suppressed. I have heard rave reviews about the FN509, however i could not stand the hinged triggers on the M&P line and say the 509 appears to have one, but designed a little different.
Old August 16, 2022, 04:23 PM   #4
Willie Lowman

I have an old SWR Trident9 that I use on a Sig P226. Been shooting it mostly suppressed since 2006. I have not noticed any unusual wear on the pistol.

The recoil booster on your suppressor will add some extra push against the barrel/slide to aid in unlocking. I have heard stories of polymer frame pistols cracking after lots of suppressed shooting.
Old August 17, 2022, 04:54 PM   #5
zeke

Have a threaded barrel on a 4th gen G19, and it works very well with silencerco 45 octane or 9mm OmegaK. The G19 is also slightly more accurate with the aftermarket barrel. No change of springs (recoil or mag), and use the standard sights. Also have a P365 which am considering getting a threaded barrel for. Have read, but not actually experienced, the P365 has difficulty with full length suppressors.
Old August 21, 2022, 07:15 PM   #6
MarkA

I have all three pistols, the 365XL, 5th gen 19 and a 509C. For the Glock, I bought the SilencerCo barrel. The 509C barrel came from Apex Tactical. 365 barrel from Tru Precision. For cans, on all three, I've run the Hybrid .46 (beastly heavy so not many rounds there), the Omega 9K, 45K and the Osprey 45. I haven't had a problem with any combination, but by far the 9K is the most practical. I've even run it on my G43 (stupid cute little setup). The 9K is my lightest can next to the .22 Sparrows I have.

I'd suggest trying the G19 first; it's an easy putt with barrel availability. The 365 is also pretty easy to come by. I had to backorder the apex barrel for the 509C. Took a few months. I guess the only 'problem' I've had has been on the 509C. I have a Holosun RMR on it; gets mucked up pretty quickly with gas blowback. Nothing a Q-tip can't fix though.

Last edited by MarkA; August 21, 2022 at 07:21 PM.
Old August 22, 2022, 05:48 PM   #7
Willie Lowman

Quote:
I have a Holosun RMR on it; gets mucked up pretty quickly with gas blowback. Nothing a Q-tip can't fix though.
Does the optic help shield your face from back pressure debris? My Trident9/P226 spits a lot of crap in my face. Shooting without glasses is a mistake.
Old August 23, 2022, 09:29 AM   #8
MarkA

Quote:
Does the optic help shield your face from back pressure debris?
I've not had any problems with that personally. The only place I've noticed any face gassing is with my ARs. Haven't tried any gas defeating charging handles yet; so far the problem hasn't been severe enough to warrant it. The SiCo one appears to have some QC issues from what I've seen on Reddit.
Old August 28, 2022, 08:31 PM   #9
jclayto

I know this is not exactly the question you asked - but my 2 cents is to really think through if you want to go down the suppressed pistol path. Outside of a suppressed .22 pistol, I personally do not find much joy in a can on a handgun. I recently bought a Rugged Obsidian 45, nice suppressor and have run it on my Dan Wesson Discretion a few times without issue, but it's just not fun. I tried it on my P226 TacOps as well and it just feels unbalanced. Mounted on my 9mm AR or on my Uzi - yes please!

Maybe look at starting with a good .22 can for handgun shooting or a 30 cal rifle can and play around wiht subsonic 300 blackout etc?

If you want to pursue a handgun, make sure that the gun has suppressor height sights. Not really my style, but I was half tempted by the PSA Dagger that was in today's email blast for $299 and RMR and suppressor ready.
Old August 29, 2022, 02:37 PM   #10
Shane Tuttle
Staff

I bought a Springfield XD(M) Elite OSP in Dark Earth. The gun is built specifically for an optic and threaded for a suppressor. The iron sights are also designed be used as a cowitness and clears the suppressor. I mounted the Hex Dragonfly and love it. The dot doesn't starburst that bad despite my astigmatism.

As far as which can; I'm still looking for the right one for me so I can't help you there, yet.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old August 29, 2022, 03:47 PM   #11
oughtsix

I thought the Beretta 92 was a go to suppressor host? I believe the action on the Beretta does not tilt the barrel like many other common actions so a booster is not needed with it?

I am no expert but remember this from the last time I was searching for suppressor hosts. Fell free to correct me if I am wrong.
Old August 30, 2022, 06:52 AM   #12
Willie Lowman

To make a 92 work without a booster you have to change the springs in the gun.
Old August 30, 2022, 08:06 AM   #13
zeke

My G19 has a Storm Lake drop in, but believe they are out of business. Shame, as it is a really good barrel. Just ordered a threaded true precision barrel for the P365, hoping it works good with the Omegak.

Would try out your combination before ordering higher sights, you may find you don't really need them, depending on purpose.
Old August 30, 2022, 09:37 AM   #14
Bentonville

HK VP 9 with Rugged Obsidian 45. I really enjoy owning this pistol . It’s easy to control, accurate and as quiet as any pistol/suppressor on the market. ( This suppressor is very versatile. )
Old August 31, 2022, 08:37 PM   #15
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by oughtsix View Post
I thought the Beretta 92 was a go to suppressor host? I believe the action on the Beretta does not tilt the barrel like many other common actions so a booster is not needed with it?

I am no expert but remember this from the last time I was searching for suppressor hosts. Fell free to correct me if I am wrong.
I considered the 92. Have shot them several times before. However I cant stand slide mounted safeties, and only a couple of the 92x performance models, which are rather expensive, have thumb safeties.
Old August 31, 2022, 09:51 PM   #16
Shadow9mm

Does the p320 series play well suppressed?
Old August 31, 2022, 10:05 PM   #17
FrankenMauser

2 birds, one stamp.
Silencerco Maxim 9
Old September 7, 2022, 07:46 AM   #18
imp

Yes, the P320s work very well. I have a full sized and a compact to go with my Rugged Obsidian 9.
Old September 7, 2022, 02:40 PM   #19
ChimpMunk20

I have a Rugged Obsidian 9 that goes on my FN509T and M&P 9L.

On the 509, I have to tighten every few rounds as it likes to walk off even with Teflon tape. Not as much as a problem on the M&P with Apex barrel; perhaps a thread tolerance issue on the 509? I dunno.

I think I shoot more rimfire with that can than 9mm.
Old September 7, 2022, 05:22 PM   #20
imp

I had that issue with the compact p320, not with the full sized. Both have silencerco barrels. I usually check tightness after every mag though.
Old September 8, 2022, 09:49 AM   #21
BillM

A bit outside the box---but take a look at the Laugo Arms Alien.
With the low bore height and fixed barrel, it should be a blast with
a can, and no need for a recoil booster.
Old September 11, 2022, 05:05 PM   #22
zeke

Tried the True precision threaded barrel in P365 with OmegaK 9 suppressor today. The barrel worked fine with my most used handloads. Adding the suppressor limited the reliability to 5 in the mag. These were 147 grainers with AA-7. Might try a faster powder, but doubtful am going to start messing with mag or recoil springs.