The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 8, 2019, 04:30 PM   #1
CCsour

Reloading 243

Building a load for a rebarreled 243. 100 gr Sierra GameKing BT. started at 36gr Win 760 went up .5 each step 37.5 pretty fair 38 spread 38.5 spread even further 39 came back to the best group, however 38.5 and 39 had to work like hell to get the case ejected! Cases all spec out for length and diameter. 5 rds each step. about half of the last ten where the problem was had a lot of black on the case neck. Lake City Match Grade 308 cases resized to 243. Any ideas as to why the last ten cases stuck so bad? Every one loaded nice.
Old March 8, 2019, 04:46 PM   #2
Reloadron

Black on a case neck is fine, as long as it does not extend down the shoulder, hard extraction not so much. Necking down 308 to 243 is a big jump and may require some neck turning. When necking down the case neck brass needs to go somewhere and the greater the change the more brass you have. Since I don't know your chamber it's hard to say why hard or difficult extraction exist but you may want to measure your case neck thickness. I would consider that just as a start.

Ron
Old March 8, 2019, 04:46 PM   #3
GeauxTide

If it's mil brass, that's the issue. Mil is thicker and harder. If you have hard bolt lift and extraction, you're over max, A LOT! I get black on my case necks in all of the nine rifle calibers I load.
Old March 8, 2019, 05:12 PM   #4
Reloadron

Looking at the Sierra 50th Edition you are getting close to their suggested maximum load of 39.2 grains even with hand individually weighed charges and allowing for scale inaccuracies. Try around 36 to 37 grains and see if extraction remains a problem. Finally, if you have it locally, invest in a box of factory 243 Winchester and see how the cases behave and then reload them. All of this assumes a nice clean chamber including chamber neck and throat.

Ron
Old March 9, 2019, 07:29 AM   #5
std7mag

As was mentioned, going from 308 to 243 makes the necks thick.
It would be a good idea to inside neck ream.
Also military brass will be thicker yet.
There are a lot of good quality brass available for 243.
Maybe try some of them.
Hornady, Nosler, PPU, Winchester.

If you get a chance try some RL26 with those 100gr GameKings.
You'll be surprised at the velocity gain, WITH good accuracy.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old March 9, 2019, 07:45 AM   #6
Mobuck

I've made 243 cases from military (LC) 7.62x51 brass. If you don't ream or turn the necks, you'll have a tight neck situation. Add this to the possibly thicker mil-spec brass, you have to consider a much lower max load.
Old March 9, 2019, 08:21 AM   #7
tango1niner

Generally when reloading US 7.62X51 military brass using standard .308 Win. reloading data it is recommended to reduce powder charges by one grain as military brass has less internal volume and will produce higher pressures.

What brand, type, rifle ?
Old March 9, 2019, 08:34 AM   #8
hooligan1

I use Winchester Supreme 780 with that vary bullet with a great deal of consistency.
Seems like it almost duplicated the Winchester power point gray box load, not quite the same but real nice in a couple rifles we had.
Old March 9, 2019, 12:52 PM   #9
std7mag

Why duplicate when you can exceed?

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old March 9, 2019, 04:56 PM   #10
RC20

My take is you have jumped into the deep end of the pool.

You hit serious pressure signs and kept going.

Rather than resize cases, factory 243 would be the way to go unless you are experience at the craft of re-sizing existing. I can see doing that for ones you can't get but cases you can?

Nothing wrong with it but you did not understand you are no longer in an apples and apples case.

You have bolt sticking and that is a a serous pressure sign. That is immediate back off. It does not matter the groups got better.

As your cases are modified they are not exactly 243 cases (applies to oranges) the tables no longer apply as max and max alwyas was and still is something to be approached cautiously.

You need to drop back at leas half a grain.

Lesson learned hopefully.