The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old September 17, 2019, 07:08 PM   #51
stagpanther

Quote:
Stag, dude, that's not what the law says. There's no legal 'presumption' that you're 'hunting' simply because you have a firearm on your person or within reach in your vehicle.
You're changing the narrative a bit to place the weapon in the process of transportation or personal possession on your property. What I'm saying is that the Maine IFW can--and have--make the assumption that if you're out in the woods, fields etc. with a large capacity magazine semi-auto, they can stop you right on the spot and ask you to prove that you were not actually hunting. Wander about with ANY KIND OF WEAPON on Sundays (no hunting in Maine) and they can make the same "prove you're not hunting" demand. What's more, they are empowered in Maine to make a warrantless search of your property if they have reasonable suspicion you're breaking hunting laws (i.e. tresspass/poaching).

From the 2019 2020 hunting law publication:

"Possession of Hunting Equipment on
Sunday: Possession of hunting equipment
in the fields and forests or on the waters
or ice of this state on Sunday is prima facie
evidence of a violation of Sunday hunting
law, unless the equipment is securely
wrapped in a complete cover, fastened in
a case, or carried in at least two separate
pieces in such a way that it cannot be fired
without the pieces being joined together
(for the purpose of this paragraph, a
firearm clip, magazine, or cylinder is not
considered a “piece”)."

Except for a concealed carry weapon--which must conform to laws--generally speaking (with special disability, military or LE exceptions or boats hunting for waterfowl) you are not allowed to have a loaded firearm within any kind of motorized vehicle either.

Last edited by stagpanther; September 17, 2019 at 07:38 PM.
Old September 17, 2019, 10:15 PM   #52
the possum

I can't quote the chapter and verse, but have always been told Illinois is the same way. That is, game wardens have tremendous latitude to decide if you're really out plinking or poaching. I've always thought the game laws were un-American, because you're presumed guilty in so many instances.

Side note, I pulled one of my other farm guns today on 2 snakes in mom's back yard. Got one in the head, and grazed the other's neck as it slid away through the grass. I just had my pocket .380 today since we're chopping silage, which means I spent the whole day jumping off and on 4 tractors.
Old October 12, 2019, 03:52 PM   #53
Deadduck

I grew up on a 1200 acre farm and ranch, we had row crops and a couple hundred head of cattle. When I was growing up in the 70's and 80's, Dad pretty much always kept a .22 rifle in the trucks and a .357 revolver in the glove box. Sometimes had a shotgun with him too. These weren't for hunting but for shooting snakes and varmints. These days I often keep an AR15 with me even on a tractor for shooting coyotes and other critters. I'd say now days the AR15 is the most popular centerfire rifle on a farm or ranch. Of course a 22 rifle is still popular as well.
Old October 14, 2019, 08:05 AM   #54
agtman

Quote:
I can't quote the chapter and verse, but have always been told Illinois is the same way. That is, game wardens have tremendous latitude to decide if you're really out plinking or poaching. I've always thought the game laws were un-American, because you're presumed guilty in so many instances.
Illinois = not a Free State.

Quote:
I grew up on a 1200 acre farm and ranch, we had row crops and a couple hundred head of cattle. When I was growing up in the 70's and 80's, Dad pretty much always kept a .22 rifle in the trucks and a .357 revolver in the glove box. Sometimes had a shotgun with him too. These weren't for hunting but for shooting snakes and varmints. These days I often keep an AR15 with me even on a tractor for shooting coyotes and other critters. I'd say now days the AR15 is the most popular centerfire rifle on a farm or ranch. Of course a 22 rifle is still popular as well.
La. = a Free State.

Easy-peasy ...
Old October 14, 2019, 02:20 PM   #55
PlatinumCore16

When I lived back in NY, we didn't usually ride around with a firearm. There was a .22lr at the house in case something happened, a la a rabid racoon walking across the lawn.

In later years, we got some nuisance permits for deer and I know my brother would drive with a rifle in the cab. Used to be a mini-14, then he switched to a savage axis in .223 when he got it. Lots of deer meat in the family and friends' freezers year round because of that.
Old October 15, 2019, 09:58 PM   #56
the possum

Yeah, Illinois sucks. Believe me, I already knew that.

My uncle had a coyote within 20 yards of the tractor the other day, so I've been keeping my 7.62x39 pistol handy.
Old October 16, 2019, 03:13 PM   #57
Picher

I have about 10 rifles that I can use on my son's blueberry fields and wooded areas. In recent past, I've carried while walking or in the cab of my pickup one or more of the following rifles:

1. Most recent favorite: .17 HMR CZ455 fluted with 3-9X Bushnell Elite.

2. Previous favorite: .223 Rem, 700 SS Fluted Light Varmint with 3-9X Leupold.

3. If a combo situation coyote/deer season walkabout, a Tikka T3 Lite, .243 Win with a 3-9X Leupold.

The .17 HMR has been a really fun rifle/cartridge combo this summer/fall, getting critters out to about 200 yards, including eastern coyotes. Plus it's fun to shoot at a few targets of opportunity without hearing protection. It's just more capable than I thought it would be, given the light bullet, but trajectory is great out to 150 yards and it kills eastern coyotes well, even beyond 100 yards. I can carry a couple of 5-shot magazines and a box of 50 rounds and hardly tell they're they're.

It's also great for woodchucks around the house, seemingly putting critters down more effectively than the .22 Mag, IMHO.

It's also fun to pot some targets of opportunity on my field walks, like old metal signs I find on the property, cans and plastic bottles left by the field workers, and other things, including dark lichen patches on boulders, where safe to shoot them.

I don't feel like I'm wasting ammo when plinking, compared with the .223 and .243, since it costs less to shoot the rimfire and don't have to reload. I also find that the rifle is easy to carry and with the fluted barrel, holds very nicely for offhand shooting, sitting, or standing-leaning.
JP
Old October 17, 2019, 04:45 PM   #58
agtman

Quote:
Picher said: I have about 10 rifles that I can use on my son's blueberry fields and wooded areas. In recent past, I've carried while walking or in the cab of my pickup one or more of the following rifles:

1. Most recent favorite: .17 HMR CZ455 fluted with 3-9X Bushnell Elite.

2. Previous favorite: .223 Rem, 700 SS Fluted Light Varmint with 3-9X Leupold.

3. If a combo situation coyote/deer season walkabout, a Tikka T3 Lite, .243 Win with a 3-9X Leupold.
You sure?

Because - according to Stagpanther - you should be going to jail for the crime of 'presumptive hunting,' rather than predator-control or an enjoyable afternoon of simply plinking on your son's property.

I mean, it is Maine after all.