The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 12, 2019, 07:40 PM   #51
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kymasabe View Post
So...with all that military experience and years of ownership and trigger time, why do you need a safety? Just seems like one more lever to fumble with when you need the handgun the most.
I say this as someone that doesn't carry a pistol with a safety, but maybe he wants it that way? Why does it concern you so much? I'd add that he seems to be asking for passive safeties that are disengaged by using the firearm. If you don't understand why Glocks and the like have trigger safeties, I'm sure we have some threads on here that you can use to educate yourself.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old April 12, 2019, 08:13 PM   #52
agtman

Quote:
I think I'd go for a police trade in service pistol over a new budget pistol. You can get some great prices on M&P, Glock, Sig, etc.
Yep, ex-L.E. 9mm pistols are especially suitable for a 'truck gun' role.

A S&W 6906 in decent condition, along with a spare 12-rd mag, would be great.
Old April 12, 2019, 08:33 PM   #53
kymasabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat View Post
I say this as someone that doesn't carry a pistol with a safety, but maybe he wants it that way? Why does it concern you so much? I'd add that he seems to be asking for passive safeties that are disengaged by using the firearm. If you don't understand why Glocks and the like have trigger safeties, I'm sure we have some threads on here that you can use to educate yourself.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
He mentioned ruger security 9, has manual safety, and I'm familiar with passive safeties as my SD9 has one, but by all means, educate me.
Old April 13, 2019, 09:12 AM   #54
USAF Ret

Quote:
Good luck with your search. Any one of the handguns you mentioned would serve you well, just depends on which one fits you best and are most comfortable with.
I appreciate that.
Old April 13, 2019, 09:14 AM   #55
USAF Ret

Thanks all for the input. Y'all got me thinking of a few other things to look at. Headed to the Post Exchange today to have them look up some prices for me. If they have another 105 Glock sale, I may have to suck it up.
Old April 13, 2019, 09:15 AM   #56
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by agtman View Post
Yep, ex-L.E. 9mm pistols are especially suitable for a 'truck gun' role.

A S&W 6906 in decent condition, along with a spare 12-rd mag, would be great.
Thanks for that. I was looking at some of the older S&W trade-ins. Will keep an eyeball out.
Old April 13, 2019, 10:35 AM   #57
kymasabe

Depending on whether you prefer single or double stack, and if you like alloy framed S&W's or not...you might want to check gunbroker for 908's, 910's and 915's.
Agtman mentioned the 6906. I have a 6904 that's been a very reliable and rugged handgun, as well as my S&W CS9, which I absolutely love.
Old April 13, 2019, 02:33 PM   #58
USAF Ret

PX had Gen 4 G19 for $505 and a sale coming up next month with 10% off. Hmmm.
Old April 13, 2019, 03:34 PM   #59
kymasabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF Ret View Post
PX had Gen 4 G19 for $505 and a sale coming up next month with 10% off. Hmmm.
That's a great price, cheaper than Buds Guns Shop which usually has decent pricing.
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...2b1+9mm+401%22
Old April 13, 2019, 03:46 PM   #60
USAF Ret

Quote:
That's a great price, cheaper than Buds Guns Shop which usually has decent pricing.
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...2b1+9mm+401%22
It is, and no shipping or sales tax. That is out the door. Things to think about. Had a Security-9 as well. Very long reset. Glock just feels better. So, just got to wait and see if my contract is renewed at work before I drop $$.
Old April 13, 2019, 04:27 PM   #61
Bfglowkey

See I thought the Ruger Security 9 had a better trigger then the Glock 19. Goes to show that everyone feels/likes things differently and one mans junk is another's prized shooter. The Price is definitely right on the Security 9. Honestly I have been looking at the SARs lately as well and they are some very well priced options.
Old April 13, 2019, 04:51 PM   #62
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfglowkey View Post
See I thought the Ruger Security 9 had a better trigger then the Glock 19. Goes to show that everyone feels/likes things differently and one mans junk is another's prized shooter. The Price is definitely right on the Security 9. Honestly I have been looking at the SARs lately as well and they are some very well priced options.
Actually, the trigger felt great...just the reset was a bit long. Overall, the Glock just feels better in my hand.
Old April 13, 2019, 07:19 PM   #63
5whiskey

OP sounds like you REALLY like Glock and kind of have your sights on them. That’s my suggestion for you. Sure, the SAR B6P I mentioned is a decent firearm for cheap (as well as Ruger security 9 and the SDWV)... but I can’t put effort into talking anyone out of saving an extra 150 and going with Glock or a similar mid-tier brand if that’s what they want.

I don’t even like Glock and his pistols, but by golly it’s really hard to trash them for the price and their proven pedigree.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old April 13, 2019, 07:22 PM   #64
5whiskey

Oh, btw... that blue label pricing of 480 you quoted that better be with night sights and 3 mags. From what I understand Glocks blue label pricing does not vary from store to store... it is a set price nationwide. Of course local taxes may affect the out the door price, but base should be the same.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old April 14, 2019, 10:47 PM   #65
Tactical Lever

The Sarsilmaz are awful nice guns for the price. Picked up a B6C, which is the compact version, and made as a polymer framed CZ-75 type gun. The Mec-Gar mags fit with no issue, but are probably about an 1/8 of an inch longer than the mags it came with. Came as a nice package with a hard case, brush, and a couple steel mags. Shoots nice albeit mine seems to have a stiff extractor, and have had to give it a bump a few times. And the rear sight may need to be drifted a hair.

The pistol slide has a nice nitride (I think) coating, and a stainless barrel, and operates pretty nice.

But for a dedicated truck or home gun, I'd probably go to a full size version, or possibly a bigger cartridge single action semi. Without having to worry about how big, or heavy it is, I'd probably lean towards some sort of full size or long barrel/slide 10mm in a 1911.

I prefer a nice trigger, and where you will have a couple fractions of a second to bring it to bear, I don't see a draw back.

If you are stuck on striker pistols, I hear very good things about the Canik. Supposed to have the best triggers in the business right now, and quite accurate.
Old April 18, 2019, 04:19 PM   #66
Jack19

Police trade in Glock.
Old April 18, 2019, 04:45 PM   #67
Chuck Norris

I hate to say it,but I am growing pretty fond of my Taurus PT111,it is hard to beat for 200 dollars. It is light weight,accurate and very dependable once I got it broke in.
Old April 19, 2019, 04:54 AM   #68
Bfglowkey

I can speak from experience that Caniks are indeed a very solid option as well. Worth the look and yes even on their lower end models, triggers are very good and all can be made better with a little effort and some elbow grease ( polishing of key points in the trigger system) Good source of all things Canik:

https://canikfanatikforum.com/index....96fb7065274100

If you just want to read a very detailed guide to all the models available currently without searching:

https://canikfanatikforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1098
Old April 19, 2019, 05:31 AM   #69
hemiram

The SAR CM9 Gen 2 is a great gun, and you can get it for $250+. Kind of a CZ P-07 clone. Mine has 1500 plus rounds through it without a hitch. Great SA trigger and decent DA trigger.
Old April 19, 2019, 06:27 AM   #70
Nanuk

I do not buy budget guns. I buy only quality. At first you think you are saving money. By the time you buy a holster, magazines and enough ammo to familiarize yourself you realize you should have just bought what you wanted in the first place.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old April 19, 2019, 08:18 AM   #71
USAF Ret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanuk View Post
I do not buy budget guns. I buy only quality. At first you think you are saving money. By the time you buy a holster, magazines and enough ammo to familiarize yourself you realize you should have just bought what you wanted in the first place.
I have pretty much decided I am going with the G19. Waiting for a sale at the PX on base. I have shot it and am very accurate. It is also reliable as all get-out.
Old April 19, 2019, 10:23 AM   #72
agtman

Quote:
I do not buy budget guns. I buy only quality. * * *
Normally I'd agree, where "budget" means 'cheap' or 'cheaply made.' Lorcins, for example.

But in the OP's situation, where he's considering ex-L.E. pistols from various makers of known quality, like Glock, S&W, HK, et. al., 'budget' really means 'inexpensive' or 'less expensive than NIB/retail pricing.'

Most ex-L.E. trade-in guns were carried way more than they were ever shot, unless it's some ex-SWAT or other Special-Unit pistol that saw a high-round count due to constant training.
Old April 19, 2019, 07:20 PM   #73
USAF Ret

And then, I started looking at reviews and videos on the CZ-P10. Dang it.
Old April 19, 2019, 07:45 PM   #74
Bfglowkey

Like the rifle world, its a good time for pistols. Many manufacturers making some very good pistols. Cheap and budget are not the same thing these days. Many will agree...Hi-point is a cheap gun. It goes bang, has some neat things going for it. Just not quite there with production line refinement, quality control and material use. It will shoot for a bit then fail.
Now others like Ruger, S&W, Century Arms ( Canik ) Walther etc have spent years refining their production lines and material stores. When they decide to make a budget gun it often results in a durable, quality firearm with the main features many desire, a modest design and wallet friendly price. The SDV9E ( I think that's it) from S&W and the Security 9 or the American from Ruger are shining examples. Canik's TP9 line has several variations and all share the same quality and durability. These are not cheap guns and will serve the user very well. Believe it or not Glocks are just middle class out of the box. They are the Remington 700 action of the pistol world. Everyone makes stuff to modify, support, enhance etc. Throw in some solid craftmanship and great marketing and you have yourself a pistol folks will pay a little more for based on perceived value. Are Glocks good...heck ya. They are not for everyone though and they certainly are not the end all of reliable pistols. You are placing your trust in the pistol. If you already have a strong faith and respect for a certain company then it seems silly to mess with that. Now if you are carrying that company's gun for your life and are looking to expand your circle of trust then definelty get out there and try out the recommended pistols here...they all have something special to offer and would all be capable of performing the role of defense.
Old April 19, 2019, 09:19 PM   #75
Nanuk

Quote:
Most ex-L.E. trade-in guns were carried way more than they were ever shot, unless it's some ex-SWAT or other Special-Unit pistol that saw a high-round count due to constant training.
Absolutely. I have a Glock 22 police trade in I got for $299 with 5 mags. It is in way nicer shape than my main carry Glock.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.