The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

View Poll Results: Are you For Open Carry or Against and Why?
For Open Carry 37 45.12%
Against Open Carry 38 46.34%
Undecided 7 8.54%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 6, 2016, 12:57 AM   #76
Borz

Should it be legal? Sure, except in certain places (I'm from New York City and, although I believe CC should be allowed everywhere, the extreme population in certain areas precludes OC).

Would I do it? Nope.
Old October 6, 2016, 05:36 AM   #77
Cosmodragoon

It should be legal. There should be no laws against guns or gun ownership. That said, I don't like doing it. The few times I have, it has involved travel to other states where you can open carry without a permit but need a permit to carry concealed. Almost every time, it gave me reasons not to want to do it again. This is what I've learned.

A surprising number of people never seem to notice. Unfortunately, a significant number of those who do react poorly. I never met a disapproving word but body language can be pretty loud. In a populated area where a substantial portion of the population has little or no real-world experience with firearms and who has had their "understanding" largely formed by violent movies and television, scary news reports of tragedies, and institutionally entrenched anti-gun propaganda; seeing a gun on a civilian's hip can make people uncomfortable or outright scare them. Aside from not wanting to make people uncomfortable, scared people can themselves be very dangerous!

Then there is the other side of the coin. Some of the people who like guns or support gun rights will want to talk with you. Sure, it can be a nice conversation piece. Yes, some of these people are totally reasonable fellow gun-enthusiasts like the forum members here. Some are people who don't own or carry guns but have thought about it or think it's "cool". They are curious about the novelty of you doing it and if they are also outgoing, you will have a new friend. This can be good. It can be a great opportunity for positive public relations. It can even be a great opportunity to meet interested members of the opposite sex. (That was a fun surprise.) Overall though, it isn't. Some of the people who approach you can be a little too excited or a little too outgoing.

I actually had a semi-drunk guy approach me in the supermarket. I had already noticed him staring out of the corner of my eye. When he approached, his body language had me worried. Then he very loudly congratulated me on "taking a stand" and "being prepared" for "the terrorists" and the "(expletive deleted)"s coming over the border. Some other shoppers, including some families with children, were then watching with concern as a man carrying a gun was part of a very loud conversation about minorities and welfare recipients. He called me "brother" and tried to pat me on the shoulder as I sidestepped and excused myself to a safer distance. That was a very bad and realistically unsafe situation.

The point is that it makes waves and draws attention. Those are not things I want to do when carrying a firearm.

Last edited by Cosmodragoon; October 6, 2016 at 05:41 AM.
Old October 6, 2016, 08:35 PM   #78
Kevin Rohrer

Just because you can do it doesn't mean you should. Bad idea.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old October 6, 2016, 08:50 PM   #79
armedleo

The pros and cons (mostly cons) have been sufficiently covered so that I don't have to give my reasons against it. But I do think it should be legal for those who wish to do so. My major concern is weapon retention with proper equipment and training.
Old October 6, 2016, 08:54 PM   #80
Glenn E. Meyer

It was common in the initial OC debates for folks to claim that they had super duper retention gung-fu and always walked around in Condition Orange. You couldn't take away the gun from them!

As we've repeatedly said, few experts recommend the practice except for hunting or hiking in the boonies.
Old October 6, 2016, 10:45 PM   #81
SocialAnarchist

Honestly, it is legal in Wisconsin so it really doesn't matter what anyone here thinks about it. I open carry in the community I live in and a few neighboring communities. I have never had a negative reaction from anyone about my pistol. I have been asked about what kind of gun I am carrying but never why I am carrying.
Old October 7, 2016, 12:53 AM   #82
dakota.potts

It used to be considered that carrying openly was the polite thing to do and to conceal your weapon was cowardly or implied criminal intent. Times have changed now.

I am completely for the right and support it even without a permit. I don't have plans to do it in everyday environments. Coming from or going to certain events, during certain emergencies (riots, natural disasters, etc.), as part of a well organized group, if you have a sudden need to protect yourself and no other option. All these make sense. In general, I think concealed is the much preferred method.