The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 25, 2009, 08:02 PM   #1
Old No7

"French fit" Schofield Gun Box

Hello gang:

Thought I'd share some pictures of my latest shop project, a "French-fitted" storage box for my Uberti Schofield.

Got the plain box for $20.00, spent $5.00 for a lid support, $3.00 for green felt, and $30.00 for the cavalry belt buckle, crossed cavalry swords and oil bottle from Dixie Gun Works -- and with the addition of a few hours labor -- Voila', here's a neat felt-lined storage box.

I cut the first form for the gun from 1" structural foam, which cut really easy on my scroll saw, and then when the dimensions were correct, I transferred those to a 3/4" piece of pine. I have to admit, the "French-fit" felt lining came out much better than I'd anticipated! Kinda impressed myself -- -- might just have to make another one to see if it was a fluke or not...

Does the Schofield shoot any better??? Nope, but since it sits more than it shoots, at least now it's sitting in style.

Tight groups!

Old No7
Old April 25, 2009, 08:17 PM   #2
Walther22lr

Now that is good looking!

I'd say you did a really good job!
Old April 25, 2009, 10:00 PM   #3
scrat

sooo sweet
Old April 25, 2009, 10:04 PM   #4
olyinaz

GREAT job! Looks outstanding.

Cheers,
Oly
Old April 25, 2009, 11:17 PM   #5
Fingers McGee

saweeeeeet!!!!!
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old April 26, 2009, 09:47 AM   #6
madcratebuilder

Great job with the felt. I have done some felt work and it's not as easy as it looks. What adhesive did you use? I have been using a fabric glue, but it well soak through the felt if I apply to much of it. Is that the Cabela's $20 case?
Old April 26, 2009, 10:07 AM   #7
Pahoo

It's all in the details and my compliments !!! .....

Be Safe !!!
Old April 26, 2009, 02:52 PM   #8
Piper Cub

Beautiful firearm. Looks like the box came from the factory. Nice felt/fitting work.
Old April 26, 2009, 08:11 PM   #9
Old No7

Quote:
I have done some felt work and it's not as easy as it looks. What adhesive did you use? I have been using a fabric glue, but it well soak through the felt if I apply to much of it.
I used Aleene's Clear Gel Tacky Glue from Wally-World, it's what the clerk who sold me the felt suggested. It goes on cold, but with the consistency of "hot glue", and I spread it evenly with a stick. It seemed to penetrate only the glue side of the felt -- I think the trick is to have an even coating of glue and don't "push too hard" on the felt, or you squeeze glue into it. Having a thin and even coat of glue on the wood helped too.

Thanks all for the kind complements too!

Later this spring, I will make another box (got this one locally, at a gun shop) for a Uberti 1862 Pocket Police, and God Willing and the creek don't rise, I will take pictures as I build it and post a tutorial of sorts.

Tight groups!

Old No7
Old April 26, 2009, 11:33 PM   #10
arcticap

j-bird posted an entire pistol box making tutorial in June, 2007 titled
"My New ‘51 Navy Display Case!".
It documents how he made his 2nd "improved" pistol box, and contains many useful hints for anyone that's considering to build one.

Here it is:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...building+a+box

Last edited by arcticap; April 27, 2009 at 12:09 AM.