The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

View Poll Results: Which 45LC Levergun for ~$500
Winchester '94 Trail's End 6 24.00%
Marlin 1894 11 44.00%
Rossi (Puma)'92 3 12.00%
Other 0 0%
I just want to see the results 5 20.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 23, 2004, 10:07 PM   #1
verticalgain1

$500 to spend on a levergun...

Hi all.

I have at or about $500 to spend on a levergun this coming weekend at the gunshow. I'm under the impression I can get ahold of a new Rossi '92, Winchester '94, or Marlin 1894 for this price. I'm after a .45LC, to match my Vaquero.

So which would you get if it were you, and why? Would you get a levergun I didn't list?

Thanks in advance,
Justin
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Samuel Adams
Old November 24, 2004, 12:27 AM   #2
Sir William

Save your $500.00. I honestly think you will be ahead if you add another $500.00 to your budget and buy a Uberti.
Old November 24, 2004, 12:40 AM   #3
fastforty

From what (limited) knowledge I have, I think that the Winchester has the "loosest" action, Marlin is a little "tighter", & Rossi is the tightest yet (whether that matters to you). Using BP in it, I'd lean a little toward ease of complete disassembly (and reassembly, LOL). Other than that, it'd be a matter of which one fits you best & just plain feels like part of you; that goes a long ways to how well you shoot it & your overall satisfaction.
Old November 24, 2004, 06:36 AM   #4
Hal

LOL!
Not much mystery about my vote eh?

Anywho - I voted Winchester - simply because it's a Winchester.

I think a person's first lever gun should be a Winchester. <-- note I said first. Once you get bitten by the lever-bug, many many many more will follow.

Last count I had 4 Win - 1 Browning 1 Marlin in the safe,,,and I don't care for shooting a rifle much at all! Thank God for that, otherwise I can't imagine how many would be scattered around the house.
Old November 25, 2004, 12:07 AM   #5
griz

Welcome to TFL!

I voted Marlin. They work well, are easy to work on, reliable, and if you shoot SASS, it does have the advantage of being able to throw a round in the open action for a reload. I used one for a long time before I got my 73. If you can find a 73 for $500, I'll change my vote, and take two myself.
Old November 25, 2004, 11:25 AM   #6
4V50 Gary
Staff

I voted Marlin and I suppose having four of them shows my bias (45-70, 44 Mag, 38/357 and 22 LR).