The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 30, 2019, 08:53 AM   #1
rep1954

Dbl barrel sxs tac-14 like

It would do me good to see one of the companies who build coach guns to come out with a TAC-14 like version. Save me the tax stamp fee and wait. I bet there is a bigger market for one than most think. What do you think?
Old October 30, 2019, 10:08 AM   #2
Sharkbite

The issue is going to be overall length. The Mossburg shockwave and Remington Tac14 both use the “ birds head” grip to put them over the 26” required by federal law.

A SxS eliminates 3+ inches of action length. You would need to build that lost length back into the gun to reach that magic 26” mark. Adding 4 inches to a 14” barrel takes you back into normal length (18”) barrels and any benefit is lost

Not sure there is a way to work within the law and get something better with a SxS
Old October 30, 2019, 11:04 AM   #3
rep1954

I could live with the extra 3" on the grip but the ATF might not be able to.
Old October 31, 2019, 02:18 PM   #4
Willie Lowman

I have a friend who sawed off a break open shotgun to 26 1/4" with barrels about 19" if I remember the measurements right. It's legal and pretty fun to shoot.
Old November 3, 2019, 11:26 PM   #5
bamaranger

not me

A shotgun (or any other pseudo long gun like the assorted mare's legs, AK/AR pistols, that have surfaced) w/o a butt stock, or some provision for a usable stock leaves me a bit cold. Too each his own, but I won't be interested.
Old November 8, 2019, 06:39 AM   #6
rep1954

Bamaranger, evidently you have never done a walk through at night in your house with a TAC-14 with no lights on. I'll grab my TAC-14 any day before my 18" full stock 870 if the need ever occurs. In this case shorter is better.
Old November 8, 2019, 02:12 PM   #7
Bill DeShivs

Do it right.
Pay the tax.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3911.JPG (30.6 KB, 39 views)
Old November 9, 2019, 03:07 PM   #8
rep1954

Bill, nice gun. I’m sure it’s a 12 gauge but the picture makes the barrels look smaller to me? After reading your post and then opening your picture I was surprised to see the NRA sticker in the back ground. I will never give in to the stupid ideology that a $200.00 tax makes a gun safer.
Old November 9, 2019, 10:08 PM   #9
Bill DeShivs

It's a 20 gauge.
Why would an NRA sticker surprise you?
Old November 10, 2019, 12:38 AM   #10
bamaranger

lights

You asked what I think, I gave my thoughts and offered the aside "to each his own" to allow slack for anybody, (including you, the OP) that likes that type of firearm. I've walked in a few dark places with a gun in my hands and I don't want one w/o a stock.

You walk through your house in the dark with what you want. I'm turning the hall lights on and getting a gun w/ a stock (and a light) and probably staying put.
Old November 10, 2019, 03:33 PM   #11
44 AMP
Staff

I feel for you poor folks who have such large places in the dark.

Maybe the best thing for you to do is get one of those tiny houses and leave the lights on...

The only time my place is dark is when the power is off (a rare thing) because my wife gets peeved at having to find her way to the bathroom in the dark.

Just checked, the longest straight line distance in my house is about 16 steps. Regular steps, not strides or yards. Plus its full of several decades of what most people would consider junk. I can watch one of the "hoarder" shows and think, …"what pikers!"

SO, clearly my situation is quite different from yours. I find a "standard" length coach gun to be just fine, though more cumbersome than a handgun. If you want to play around with a short barrel shotgun, just accept the Federal limits and live with them.

Quote:
A SxS eliminates 3+ inches of action length. You would need to build that lost length back into the gun to reach that magic 26” mark. Adding 4 inches to a 14” barrel takes you back into normal length (18”) barrels and any benefit is lost
I don't see how you figure that. The gun is still just as short, the only change is longer barrels to compensate for the shorter action length. TOTAL overall length is unchanged, so you don't lose what ever perceived benefit you get from the short overall length. Of course, by going to a SxS over a pump you do lose that 3rd, 4th, and possibly 5th round capacity, but, that's just the nature of the beast.