The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 25, 2019, 12:37 AM   #1
Pond, James Pond

How absurd is 4" IWB carry?

My current carry preference is appendix carry. This works for my Astra .38Spl snub.

However, yesterday I saw a very nice 4" Astra .38Spl.

I have a thing for Astras.

Naturally I instantly imagined owning it. Now, rather than go into the minutiae of Estonian Law, trust me when i say that, in order to buy this revolver, I'd have to get rid of one I presently own. Logically that would be my existing .38Spl...

This then also means the newer 4" would have to replace it as EDC.

So, is 4" IWB more trouble than it's worth?
(I'm guessing appendix carry only works if you spend your day standing up!)
Old October 25, 2019, 02:28 AM   #2
DaleA

If I was in your situation (Estonia) I'd be in a constant state of teeth grinding frustration.

(Although in some states in the U.S. you can only buy one handgun a month.)

Good luck.
Old October 25, 2019, 02:34 AM   #3
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
If I was in your situation (Estonia) I'd be in a constant state of teeth grinding frustration.
Well I know there are some annoying rules, but.....are you sure?

-Suppressors over the counter.
-No rule against making pistols in to SBRs.
Old October 25, 2019, 05:16 AM   #4
Spats McGee
Staff

I'm jealous over the suppressors.

For me, the problem isn't so much the 4" IWB. I carried a 1911 Gov't and a G19 IWB for years. My problem would be carrying a revolver IWB.

What I see on the Internet under "4" Astra .38Spl" is a good looking revolver, though!
Old October 25, 2019, 05:20 AM   #5
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
For me, the problem isn't so much the 4" IWB. I carried a 1911 Gov't and a G19 IWB for years. My problem would be carrying a revolver IWB.
Any particular reason?

Too thick?

My snub isn't uncomfortable. Perhaps "wasn't" is a better appraisal than "isn't: I need to lose about 15lbs!!
Old October 25, 2019, 05:26 AM   #6
Spats McGee
Staff

Too thick through the cylinder. I also need to lose weight. I'm already embarrassed at the size of my pants. I don't need to move up a couple of inches to accommodate the cylinder & can't afford a whole bunch of new pairs of pants.

If you already IWB a revolver and don't find it too thick through the middle, then I can't see a 4" barrel being a problem for you. Lots of folks carry gov't model 1911s and BHPs IWB without complaint. I don't have the measurements in front of me, but I don't think the Astra would be that much longer than either of those.
Old October 25, 2019, 05:38 AM   #7
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
What I see on the Internet under "4" Astra .38Spl" is a good looking revolver, though!
I do like it too. Reminds me of S&W model, but can't remember which.

Quote:
If you already IWB a revolver and don't find it too thick through the middle, then I can't see a 4" barrel being a problem for you.
Good news, but appendix carry is out, I think!!

So where? 3 o'clock?

My current Astra looks like this.
Old October 25, 2019, 05:48 AM   #8
Spats McGee
Staff

That's a good-lookin' little pistol, too.

When I carry IWB (which isn't that often as of late), it's usually at 4 o'clock. Three o'clock puts it right on the most outermost point of your waist, but sliding it back around to 4 gives the pistol more cover.
Old October 25, 2019, 06:00 AM   #9
Pond, James Pond

That's true about the widest point, only I am so paranoid about the butt printing at 4 o'clock if I lean forward even for something like doing my laces or picking up a fallen pencil!

It feels like it would be a neon sign announcement that I'm carrying!
Old October 25, 2019, 06:22 AM   #10
amd6547

I’ve carried a 4” Model 10 IWB, crossdraw. I found it quite comfortable. My Model 10 has the thin tapered barrel, and I use the small Magna-PC grips with a Tyler T-grip.
Old October 25, 2019, 07:13 AM   #11
AK103K

I carry a Glock 17 AIWB on a daily basis, so the 4" barrel shouldnt be an issue. Like anything else, its just a matter of finding your sweet spot and getting used to it.

Ive carried 4" Model 10 and 19 Smiths IWB in the somewhat distant past, both at around 4-4:30. I dont upsize my pants to carry that way, and I didnt have a problem doing so. Now that Ive been carrying AIWB, I wouldnt even consider carrying there (with anything), even though I did carry that way for decades.

I think youll find AIWB more comfortable and concealable, especially with a revolver, assuming you can get a proper holster for your gun. The better AIWB holsters pull the butt tight to your body. I have a couple of holsters for my 2.5" and 3" K/L frame Smiths, that work for AIWB, and they work OK, but I havent seen a holster made for them like I have for my Glocks. Really havent looked to hard either though. Someone probably makes one.

Now, a lot of this may depend on what kind of shape youre in. If youve got a good-sized "Dunlop" belly, it may not work for you. Ive carried IWB and AIWB fat, skinny, and in-between. Both work best when youre on the skinnier side, but both are doable with the weight if you dress for it.
Old October 25, 2019, 07:32 AM   #12
Pond, James Pond

Holsters would be a whole other story. No idea where to start with those!!

IIRR, the model this Astra reminds me of, in size and shape, is the Model 19. And that is a K-frame, if I'm not mistaken.
Old October 25, 2019, 07:42 AM   #13
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pond, James Pond View Post
My current carry preference is appendix carry. This works for my Astra .38Spl snub.

However, yesterday I saw a very nice 4" Astra .38Spl.

I have a thing for Astras.

Naturally I instantly imagined owning it. Now, rather than go into the minutiae of Estonian Law, trust me when i say that, in order to buy this revolver, I'd have to get rid of one I presently own. Logically that would be my existing .38Spl...

This then also means the newer 4" would have to replace it as EDC.

So, is 4" IWB more trouble than it's worth?
Carrying a 4" autoloader IWB is do-able, not too difficult. My only 4" revolver, my S&W 19-4, is huge for what it is (a 6 shot medium power gun). Worth doing? A firm "maybe", would depend on the gun and the holster.

Quote:
(I'm guessing appendix carry only works if you spend your day standing up!)
I read that appendix works better with bigger guns. And is dependant on getting just the right holster, situated just the right way. And you know "the Innernetz" never lies, always tells the truth. (That's sarcasm.)

I have a gut in the way, and it's never yet been comfortable when I tried it. I intend to take another stab at it sometimes with a specialty holster, with one or both of my snubbies.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "

Last edited by lee n. field; October 25, 2019 at 02:28 PM.
Old October 25, 2019, 08:20 AM   #14
AK103K

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee n. field View Post

I read that appendix works better with bigger guns. And is dependant on getting just the right holster, situated just the right way. And you know "the Innernetz" never lies, always tells the truty. (That's sarcasm.)

I have a gut in the way, and it's never yet been comfortable when I tried it. I intend to take another stab at it sometimes with a specialty holster, with one or both of my snubbies.
I find it works better with the longer barrels than the shorter, and simply because of weight distribution and leverage. And of course, the "proper" holster.

The problem Ive found with the shorter barrels is, they tend to be top-heavy, and (especially with the autos) if you dont have the right holster, the gun wants to roll out of the top of your pants when you bend forward.

Back in the 80's, before AIWB was a "thing", I tried carrying my HK P7M13 in a Bianchi Pistol Pocket in that spot, and the first time I bent forward, the gun and holster flopped out of my pants and was hanging upside down in front of me. The combination of the wrong holster, top-heavy gun, with a short barrel and no leverage, and it was a perfect storm. Luckily, I was at home trying it out when it happened.

If I use a smaller gun (rarely do), Ill slip my Glock 26 into my 17's holster, and it works great. The holster is made for AIWB, and its long enough to still have leverage, to keep the gun from wanting to roll out. Not that it probably would, as the clips on the holster are tight, and also stop that from happening.

If the length wasnt there, and the attachment has enough slop in it/them, youre not using a "gun" belt, it might be a different story.

Proper, "job-specific" equipment, is an important part of all this.

And as with anything, gun, equipment, you, etc, it takes actual time and effort to figure things out. A 5 minute "trial", with something unfamiliar, and possibly inappropriate, doesnt tell you if its going to work or not. What you have, "might" work to give you an idea, but you really need the right gear to make things work if youre going to be living with it on an all-day, daily basis.

Wearing the combo you choose around the house for a week or two in fact-finding, will help you to sort things out, and lets your body get used to things being different and adjust.
Old October 25, 2019, 09:46 AM   #15
Pond, James Pond

Well right now I use smart carry and the butt sits behind my waistband/belt.

In this respect the gun is very well concealed but that holster is wholly inadequate for 4”.

If (and it’s a big if) I were to buy this and jack in my 2” to allow for it, I’d be back to square one on the holster front.

Any suggestions on an AIWB holster capable of taming a meatily framed .38Spl?
Old October 25, 2019, 10:30 AM   #16
.44 Associate

My EDC is a 4" K frame IWB. It is perfectly comfortable, but I am 6'1" and 190 pounds. I prefer "tuckable" holsters such as the "Texas Heritage" from Tucker Gun Leather.
Old October 25, 2019, 10:38 AM   #17
dontcatchmany

I sometimes IWB a 3" 686+. A tad heavy but works with some too large pants.

I have also IWB carried around my card a 4" S&W 629 44 magnum when we had a bear sniffing around almost every night. Bulky and heavy but it will work once you get accustomed to it. I may IWB carry the 629 more this winter. Seems to carry better as a cross draw.

However, I mostly IWB my semi autos. Just more comfortable and concealable.
Old October 25, 2019, 10:40 AM   #18
Pond, James Pond

I’m 5’10 and 176 of these “pounds”.

Not quite the same BMI!
Old October 25, 2019, 12:31 PM   #19
shurshot

I carry IWB, numerous guns, mostly revolvers. Model 10 S&W 4" HB or Ruger GP-100 3" are two of my favorites. No, it isn't uncomfortable at all. Currently my off duty carry gun is an Uberti El Patron .45 4.75", in an old Safariland 1911 IWB, half the time I forget it's there. If the waistband of the pants are slightly loose, as is ones belt, it's not uncomfortable. That cylinder isn't half as thick and obtrusive as some make it out to be, but then again I'm about 6'2", 230, so with a little extra padding around the waist I don't notice it as much as some would.

Last edited by shurshot; October 25, 2019 at 01:13 PM.
Old October 25, 2019, 02:35 PM   #20
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pond, James Pond View Post
Well right now I use smart carry and the butt sits behind my waistband/belt.

In this respect the gun is very well concealed but that holster is wholly inadequate for 4”.

If (and it’s a big if) I were to buy this and jack in my 2” to allow for it, I’d be back to square one on the holster front.

Any suggestions on an AIWB holster capable of taming a meatily framed .38Spl?
The one I'm contemplating is a Phlster City Special, but it's only made for a couple 5 shot snubbies.

Your problem's going to be finding a holster for an oddball gun, not mainstream, not currently made. Compatible with a S&W K-frame?
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old October 25, 2019, 02:48 PM   #21
AK103K

Are the Astra's pretty common where you are? If so, I would think holsters would be available for them.

They are basically nonexistent here, so finding a holster is somewhat problematical.

If you like the Smart Carry, they do make holsters for full size guns. Not the same as AIWB though, and you lose the quick reholstering capability.

Maybe one of the more current belly band type holsters would give you more of a belt line carry. Still have that reholstering issue though.

Another option would be someone who makes kydex (or leather) holsters. If they dont already, maybe they could make you up something.
Old October 25, 2019, 04:04 PM   #22
scottycoyote

im in the process of getting rid of a kimber pro carry for this very reason....i like to carry at 4 or 5 oclock, and the 4" barrel is just long enough to be uncomfortable
Old October 26, 2019, 01:23 AM   #23
Pond, James Pond

@AK

Astras are not popular, per se. They are about, this being Europe and they being from Spain. But that is as far as it goes.

As such holsters are not common for them specifically. My best bet is finding a Model 19 holster. Buying from the States is an option but I get hammered at the border with customs charges.

I’ll look into the smart carry.

First I’ll have a look at the gun and see what it’s like.
Old October 26, 2019, 05:15 PM   #24
DaleA

Quote:
-Suppressors over the counter.
-No rule against making pistols in to SBRs.
Now that right there is some honest (and I'm not kidding) "common sense" gun legislation. Not like the kind being pushed on us in the U.S.

I will just never understand the rational of a law that forbids you to put a stock on a handgun.

Good luck.
Old October 26, 2019, 05:35 PM   #25
pete2

Too thick? The S&W 15 cylinder is 1/8" thicker than a Glock 19, everything else on the 15 is much thinner than a Glock. Give it a try. My 642 is ok IWB, my LC9 hurts, there is more to it than the thickness of the cylinder.