The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 26, 2019, 02:17 PM   #26
Bart B.

Spotting scopes that'll reveal bullet holes in the black at 800 yards or more can be had for a few hundred dollars. I had one of these that when set at 20X showed 30 caliber bullet holes at 1000 yards.

https://celestron.factoryoutletstore...ron-52250.html

Test your stuff at sunrise when there's no mirage.

Last edited by Bart B.; October 26, 2019 at 03:04 PM.
Old October 26, 2019, 03:15 PM   #27
Ernie Bishop

dedrevil,
I wouldn't get to worked about about your speed or the spread with a sky-screen chronograph. There are a number of factors that will give you inconsistent or false reading when using sky screens. sun versus cloudy and the bullet crossing in relationship to the sky screen in different place or heights to name a couple.

Second, since you are using a small field bag (pinch or squeezing for fine adjustment) there can be a tendency with shooters to clench or release at the shot, which will cause vertical issues.
A sling swivel stud on the bottom of the buttstock, can be a culprit as well.
Third, just the way you grip the gun with your shooting hand, can change POI.
I encourage guys to have a finger gap with the their trigger finger and to not wrap their thumb around the pistol grip.
Parallax is also a consideration when it comes to groups.
When it comes to seating depths I recommend this page: https://bergerbullets.com/getting-th...in-your-rifle/
You may have all of these things squared away.
If so, ignore and go forth and do great things!
Old October 26, 2019, 03:30 PM   #28
hounddawg

Quote:
Spotting scopes that'll reveal bullet holes in the black at 800 yards or more can be had for a few hundred dollars. I had one of these that when set at 20X showed 30 caliber bullet holes at 1000 yards.

https://celestron.factoryoutletstore...ron-52250.html

Test your stuff at sunrise when there's no mirage.
Quote:
The purpose of this report is to show what is possible… in IDEAL conditions. With this Pentax 100mm, as well as a Swarovski 80mm, we have often been able to resolve 6mm bullet holes at 600 yards. But again, that performance requires really good viewing conditions. By 10:00 am at my range, even with the 100mm Pentax at 75 power, seeing 6mm bullet holes is “iffy” at best. So don’t go out and mortgage the house to buy a $4000 optic with the hope that you’ll be able to spot your shots at 1000 yards. If conditions are anything less than perfect, you’ll be lucky to see bullet holes at 500 yards. The real solution for very long-range spotting is to set up a remote target cam that broadcasts a video picture to a screen at your shooting station.

https://www.accurateshooter.com/opti...d-performance/

Here's a 2019 solution, and it works with or without mirage for around $300

https://shop.opticsplanet.com/caldwe...hoCD6YQAvD_BwE

Last edited by hounddawg; October 26, 2019 at 04:08 PM.
Old October 26, 2019, 05:23 PM   #29
Bart B.

Quote:
Here's a 2019 solution, and it works with or without mirage for around $300

https://shop.opticsplanet.com/caldwe...hoCD6YQAvD_BwE
That's camera is cooler than a bag of ice cubes. Thanks for showing it.
Old October 26, 2019, 05:56 PM   #30
hounddawg

Optics Planet say max distance is 400 yards but Caldwell claims a mile. The farthest I have tried mine is 850 yards, it comes in as clear as I could want no skips or static at all. Watch target in real time and take pics or do a 5 minute movie
Old October 27, 2019, 12:12 PM   #31
RC20

Quote:
That's camera is cooler than a bag of ice cubes. Thanks for showing it.
The way they shoot on my gun ranges you want the armored option as well.
Old October 27, 2019, 12:28 PM   #32
hounddawg

Quote:
The way they shoot on my gun ranges you want the armored option as well.
SMS systems have a bullet proof warranty for a extra 30 bucks

https://www.shootingmadeeasy.com/bullet-proof-warranty/

Cant put them near steel either. I have a piece of copper jacket embedded in the transmitter housing. It still works but I don't place the camera near steel plates anymore.

best place to put them is dead in front of your own target down low and below. If you shoot it yourself then you have only yourself to blame. If it gets shot then that would be God's way of telling you that you need more practice and fewer toys

Last edited by hounddawg; October 27, 2019 at 12:33 PM.
Old December 8, 2019, 02:42 PM   #33
dedrevil

Well I posted an update awhile ago but I guess something went wrong, I blame my crappy satellite internet.

I found a great hunting load, 140gr ballistic tip shooting consistent submoa with my best being a 0.66 moa.
Still need to develop a good match quality long-range load.

This thread started with needing help on vertical stringing, in case anyone has same problem: I believe what caused my veritcal stringing was a two-fold problem. Inconsistent seating depths, and inconsistent powder charges, both were fixed by switching to better reloading equipment (electronic powder charger and using a micrometer seating die)

I will update if I can ever find a good load using those new Atips
Old December 8, 2019, 02:53 PM   #34
Unclenick
Staff

Thanks for following up!
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle