The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

View Poll Results: Which PCC
PSA Glock compatible AR 9 12 40.00%
SIG MPX 9mm 3 10.00%
Other(please elaborate) 15 50.00%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 16, 2017, 10:05 PM   #1
Eazyeach

Which PCC?

Well I "need" a Pistol Caliber Carbine. It will mainly be used for plinking because I can shoot it in the field behind my house unlike my AR 15. Possibly be used in a HD role. Not so sure about that. I can get a complete PSA Glock compatible upper and lower for about $600. Also on my radar is a SIG MPX for around $1200-$1500 depending on configuration.

I'm able to pay for the PSA immediately. The SIG would require me to save money and/or sell a gun or two, which would take about a month or so.

I've just got cabin fever and need a little retail therapy!
Old January 16, 2017, 10:18 PM   #2
turtlehead

A PCC to me would just be a range toy. So I'd get the PSA.

But the MPX is something most people would never have. It has a very high cool factor. So I'd get the MPX.

Old January 16, 2017, 11:11 PM   #3
ammo.crafter

pcc

357 Maximum
Old January 16, 2017, 11:52 PM   #4
ttarp

I've only heard good things about the MPX, but I'd still vote for the king of subguns, the MP5.

Take a look at the POF MP5 "clones", they run around $1200-$1400 in pistol configuration.

A little while back there was also talk of ATI importing a 9mm MP40, I haven't heard anything since, but I think the price was supposed to be around $600 or something. If they haven't dropped the idea it might show up at SHOT? Might be worth waiting around for.
Old January 17, 2017, 02:46 AM   #5
Model12Win

Beretta.
Old January 17, 2017, 08:07 AM   #6
Eazyeach

It's funny you mention Beretta. I've been thinking about one of those too. In fact I ordered a 92 extended mag so I could get free shipping on my G Conversion kit. I just don't know if I can get used to the looks. It's kinda ugly. Not high point ugly but ugly nonetheless. I'll have to find one so I can see how it feels.
Old January 17, 2017, 08:47 AM   #7
Screwball

I have a few... personally, if you run ARs well, look into a pistol caliber AR.

There are standard blowback models, ones that take specific magazines (not a standard lower), as well as D/I ones. I went with the latter for my .45 build.

It is a Macon Armory upper, with their H&K USC magazine adapter. As configured, under 7 pounds. Rudy at Macon Armory is a very good guy, and will get an upper together for your specs. The also released a new .45 magazine that fits in the standard magazine well and uses the AR release.

I have others, like the Ruger .44 Carbine and Uberti 1860 Henry Steel frame, which are more historic than tactical minded... but the Ruger could work. My first was a CX4, which originally paired with my 92 Brigadier Inox, then I got the conversion parts to run it with my 9mm PX4. Also just ordered a .40 nickel-boron SUB-2000 that takes M&P magazines. Didn't have a .40 carbine, and figured it would be a nice addition.
Old January 17, 2017, 10:01 AM   #8
Eazyeach

Nice .45 ,Screwball. I don't reload at all so I'm sticking to 9mm. Bought a lot last year worrying about an election related shortage(which thankfully didn't happen). But I have way to much to shoot through my pistols.
Old January 17, 2017, 12:15 PM   #9
Chainsaw.

I decided on the AR. I super familiarwith the plat form, the parts are very common, mags are cheap and they ultimately customizable.
Old January 17, 2017, 04:20 PM   #10
Screwball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazyeach View Post
Nice .45 ,Screwball. I don't reload at all so I'm sticking to 9mm. Bought a lot last year worrying about an election related shortage(which thankfully didn't happen). But I have way to much to shoot through my pistols.

Thanks.

Can't do 9mm in D/I, if I remember correctly, because parts of the jacket shear off and head back into the BCG (jamming it up). Would have to be blowback, if you go 9mm AR. That was my alternative choice when I built mine, but weight was a consideration... and blowback is heavier (overall) and you do need a specific buffer built to it.

I'm issued 9mm, which is why most of my backup guns are now 9mm. But my off duty gun is a .45, so I do stock it. If 9mm is your choice, any of the options will work.
Old January 18, 2017, 03:23 AM   #11
Pathfinder45

I wouldn't mind having an M1 Carbine......
Old January 18, 2017, 04:35 AM   #12
peggysue

KelTec SUB 2000 ?
Old January 18, 2017, 01:55 PM   #13
Dirty_Harry

Cz scorpion evo would be my choice

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old January 18, 2017, 04:56 PM   #14
Eazyeach

Op here, just ordered a PSA complete upper/lower. But that doesn't mean the fun has to end. Just because I will have one PCC doesn't mean I'll never have another. Or a SMG pistol of some sort.

I can't believe the SIG isn't getting more love. If money weren't an option that is what I would like. But can't beat Glock magazine compatibility. Those SIG mags are pricey.
Old January 18, 2017, 09:34 PM   #15
dakota.potts

Don't discount the CZ Evo, which is often favorably compared to the Sig MPX at a low price. Shoots well. I have not been able to shoot a Sig MPX, but I think they're a great size and I'd love to have one for the house.
Old January 19, 2017, 03:24 AM   #16
chris in va

I've had a TON of fun with my CX4. Frankly I cannot imagine anything else that would be 'better', whatever that means. Super light, compact, easy to use and absurdly quick to take apart for cleaning.
Old January 19, 2017, 09:01 AM   #17
Skans

I like the new Kriss 10mm carbine: http://www.gunbroker.com/item/614804432
Old January 19, 2017, 11:49 AM   #18
44 AMP
Staff

I voted other, because that's what I have, other.

My semi auto pistol caliber carbines are a Thompson 1927A1 .45acp and a Calico Liberty 9mm. My Calico has 50 and 100rnd magazines, dual pistol grips, collapsible stock, ambidextrous safety, a red dot sight, adjustable open sights (if needed) and ejects out the bottom. And it weighs only a bit more than half of what the Tommygun seems to.

Range toys, sure, but fun ones, and I can see someone (though not me) actually being able to use the Calico for something remotely practical.

My useful PCC is a Marlin 1894 in .357 Magnum.

My Tommygun is the deluxe semi auto, and generates a fair bit of interest at the range. Lots of people want to at least hold it, and the usual comment is "I had no idea how HEAVY these were!!!"

Mine will cut a 5 shot one hole group at 25yds from the bench and will ring the 200yd gong using the ladder sight. Really heavy offhand with a 50rnd drum!!!

I think a semi auto PCC ought to either be a light utility gun like the defunct Marlin Camp carbines, OR a semi auto version of a famous SMG. That said, the Calico is neither, but it has found a spot in my heart, just because it's odd, spacey looking and (mine, at least) works. Also pretty accurate.

Personally I don't want a GLock anything, pistol or carbine, but that's just me. Don't know about the Sig, never really looked at any others since what I have fills my niche quite well, for me.
Old January 19, 2017, 01:57 PM   #19
weblance

I have a Just Right Carbine Takedown in 9mm. It uses Glock mags. Its been great fun. It will shoot one ragged hole all day long at 25 yards. I have not shot it any farther than that yet, but reports are very favorable at longer distances. Its very nicely made, has a lifetime warranty, and is made in the USA. It is ARish, with an AR buffer tube and stock, pistol grip, trigger components, and safety lever. The only complaint I have is breakdown for cleaning is a bit of a chore. The buffer tube has to be pulled, and an allen screw removed from the charging handle to pull the bolt. I got it from Buds for $589
Old January 19, 2017, 07:18 PM   #20
Eazyeach

I'm never going to rule out a calico. I remember when they 1st came out. I was a kid going to the gun show with my grandpa. I loved those things. A guy who sets up at the same gun show as me( Sidney,OH) has one for sale. Hopefully one of these days he'll find something he "has" to have on my table and we'll work out a trade.

As far as a lever action.357 goes , I will have one of those before too long. Probably a Henry. Then I'll have to get a Ruger SA to go with it!

I gotta quit spending so much time on internet gun sites. My wishlist just keeps growing.

My PSA upper will be here tomorrow and the lower should be here Monday or Tuesday. Hopefully this little 9mm will keep me from getting bored for awhile.
Old January 20, 2017, 07:09 PM   #21
Eazyeach

My PSA upper came in today. First thing I've ever got from PSA and I gotta say it looks like a quality product. If it functions as good as it looks I'll be a happy boy.
Old January 25, 2017, 09:30 PM   #22
Eazyeach

Got my lower today. Mated it to the upper and it's probably the loosest fitting AR I've ever had. If it functions reliably I won't care. If it doesn't function reliably I'll get rid of it. It's going to be cold tomorrow but I plan to lube it and fire at least a g19 mag through it. I'll let y'all know if it's any good.
Old January 26, 2017, 02:24 PM   #23
Chainsaw.

Grab an accu wedge for $3
Old January 26, 2017, 03:20 PM   #24
MarkCO

9mm PCC...so simple, yet so misunderstood.

I am going to be doing a little on camera work (for a TV show on Outdoor Channel) on Monday, and bigger picture, working on a 30 minute video on PCC that will be ready (and on YouTube) by April 15th.

All of them have issues that a buyer should be aware of (and most of the manufacturers don't fully understand). In some sense, it is a pick your Ford, Chevy, Dodge (or the same vehicle with a Cadillac or Lincoln badge) based on what you can deal with.

MOST PCCs allow the mass to cycle too far, most free jump the bullet from the mag to the chamber. All have a narrow operating window and if you don't balance the tune, you will break parts or worse.

I have 8 of them in my possession right now, and two more on the way. I looked at 14 NEW 9mm PCCs at SHOT, two were good enough to take them for a spin.

IF you are not going to compete and just want a reliable plinker, the KelTec with about $150 in aftermarket parts will likely run circles around most of them that are $1000 or less. I personally have a Sub2000 set up for HD, with several higher dollar, less reliable PCCs sitting in the gunrack. IMHO, you have to hit $1k and be willing to do some tuning to get an AR9 100% reliable long term.

If you do an AR9, no matter what, if it does not come with locked trigger and hammer pins, buy a set of the KNS pins. Limit the bolt travel with a spacer, not quarters, to no more than 3/8" past the bolt catch, and if no bolt catch, no more than 3/8" past the rear of the magazine. Understand that trigger pad to bolt ramp engagement is important. In some cases, you might need to swap out a hammer with a pad welded on. Last, not a must, but a should, tune with a flat wire spring (.223 is okay, .308 prefered). They deliver about 20% more resistance in the compression cycle, but close with the same force as a standard spring.
Old January 26, 2017, 03:26 PM   #25
MarkCO

Some other things.

YES, you can do 9mm in DI, but it is dirtier and needs different loads, like Open major loads, to run well.

There are M1 Clones in 9mm, so yes, still PCC.

10mm PCCs with DI systems are amazing, but basically one-offs at this time. Two production guns are in R&D though.

Quote:
My Tommygun is the deluxe semi auto, and generates a fair bit of interest at the range. Lots of people want to at least hold it, and the usual comment is "I had no idea how HEAVY these were!!!"
TRUTH! Tried to convince an LEA to go with these, they chose something else. More psychological impact then even a pump 12g.