The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 28, 2015, 08:51 PM   #1
zworld

need a cowboy rifle

Henry, 1866 yellowboy, or 1873? I like them all. Any pros or cons to be ware of?
Old August 28, 2015, 09:09 PM   #2
stubbicatt

Unless you like loading from the muzzle end of the rifle, get you a rifle with a King's patent loading gate and wooden fore end. The actions are similar enough that there isn't much to boast about either way.

My $.02
Old August 28, 2015, 10:37 PM   #3
JWT

The Winchester 1873 (made by Miroku in Japan) is an extremely nice rifle. Almost identical to the original guns. Extremely smooth and accurate. But, they are a bit pricey.

I have a .38/.357 with the octagon barrel and case hardened recieiver. One of the best looking guns I own. Great gun to take to the range - performs flawlessly. Gets lots of attention.
Old August 28, 2015, 11:06 PM   #4
Bishop Creek

I do like my Uberti 1873 44-40. Simple clean up when shooting black powder cartridges.

Old August 29, 2015, 12:08 AM   #5
unobrownsfan

Chiappa model 1892 rifle, 20 inch octagon barrel, .357/.38, case hardened receiver. Sweet shooter.
Old August 29, 2015, 07:50 AM   #6
salvadore

I own a Chiappa 45 Colt 92 and had it to their warranty station 3 times for the same problem. Mine shoots ok but the carbine sights suck. Pulled the joke like rear and screwed on a tang sight.
Old August 29, 2015, 09:20 PM   #7
Crunchy Frog

The '73 is the top rifle in cowboy action shooting. Very smooth.

The '66 is mechanically similar although it lacks a lever safety. Brass receiver is kind of heavy and the stock has more drop than the '73.

There are Henrys and there are Henrys. The 1860 Henry is an interesting rifle but it's very heavy and lacks both a loading gate and a forend.
Old August 30, 2015, 08:20 AM   #8
4V50 Gary
Staff

If you get a Henry and have to do rapid fire, wear a glove. One thing about Henrys is that it allows you also to get into Civil War reenacting.
Old August 30, 2015, 06:51 PM   #9
zworld

I am leaning toward the 1873, who makes a good rifle? And whats a good price? I've been to gunbroker, seems ubertis run about 1200.
Old August 30, 2015, 08:32 PM   #10
Crunchy Frog

Aside from an original Winchester (I mean one of the 19th Century guns), there are, to my knowledge, three manufacturers of reproduction 1873 rifles.

The cheapest are the rifles sold here under the name Chaparral. CDNN Sports had some for sale at one time. They have a poor reputation.

The most common is the Uberti, which is imported by several companies. I don't know that I have ever seen a new rifle sell for less than $1,000. Even at that price they can be a little stiff. They work great with a little slicking up but you can add a few dollar signs for the work. There are lots of these rifles in use by cowboy action shooters.

A couple of years ago Winchester re-introduced the '73; it is being made in Japan by Miroku. They don't have as many variations in caliber, barrel length and styling as does Uberti. They seem to be a little more expensive than the Uberti but the people I know who have them say they are a little smoother out of the box.

The last is the rifle sold by Navy Arms; they purchase the action from Winchester but add premium wood, an octagonal barrel and the finish is done by Turnbull. Very pretty rifle; Cabelas has the 20" barrel version on sale for $2699.
Old August 31, 2015, 06:48 PM   #11
zworld

I'll go with the uberti version. I like the 24" barrel in 45 LC
Old September 1, 2015, 12:37 PM   #12
bedbugbilly

Bishop Creek - that's a great looking '73! Beautiful receiver and looks like nicely grained wood as well! Makes a person just want to sit and stare at it all day!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old September 1, 2015, 02:19 PM   #13
Bishop Creek

Thanks bedbugbilly, I lucked out getting this one with the nice wood and case colors. It was made by Uberti in 1998 and has a 30" barrel.
Old September 5, 2015, 01:01 AM   #14
Malamute

Quote:
The most common is the Uberti, which is imported by several companies. I don't know that I have ever seen a new rifle sell for less than $1,000...

A couple of years ago Winchester re-introduced the '73; it is being made in Japan by Miroku. They don't have as many variations in caliber, barrel length and styling as does Uberti. They seem to be a little more expensive than the Uberti
A local shop had one of the Winchester/Mirokus. I believe it was priced a hair under $1000. If anywhere close in price to an Italian gun I'd jump all over the Winchester/Miroku gun. The others I've owned and shot in the past (Browning 92's, 86's and 95's) have been nothing short of outstanding guns.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-