The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 26, 2013, 07:37 AM   #1
er775

30-06 and superformance ?

with the current frenzy going on powder and such are hard to come by right now, I went into a local gunshop and the only powder they have that might work for 30-06 is one can of superformance,,so i went home and tried to look up any data for this powder but the only thing hodgdon listed on their website was for the 150 gr nos bt starting at 60 grns, i am using hornady 150 gr sst`s,,has anyone used this powder with 150 grn sst`s and would you reccommend trying the nos bt load but with sst.

I emailed hodgdon and asked them but got the CYA answer, they just emailed me back a pdf copy of the load data that i already looked up on their website
Old January 26, 2013, 07:46 AM   #2
PawPaw

Sure, I'd switch bullets, but I'd follow the usual advise to start low and work up. Since you're working with a new powder that's good advise anyway. I've never used Superformance, but it looks like it falls somewhere between 4831 and RL22, so it might not be the best powder for the caliber, but certainly usable.

Edit: I don't shoot .30-06 in gas operated guns, so I don't normally consider things like port pressure when I reload for that caliber. If you're using Superformance in a Garand, that might open up a whole nuther set of concerns.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com

Last edited by PawPaw; January 26, 2013 at 07:52 AM.
Old January 27, 2013, 02:15 AM   #3
HiBC

I have called Hogdon before when they have been helpful.

You might be right about the CYA response,I do not know.

There are a lot of combinations of bullets and powders.It takes time and money to run the ballistic tests.

Could be until Hogdon has fulfilled a responsibility to run tests on that exact load,they cannot release data.
They make a fresh,new magazine format annual of data for a reasonable price.

IMO,Hogdon has been a good friend to shooters for over half a century.

Last edited by HiBC; January 27, 2013 at 02:26 AM.