The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 24, 2013, 04:35 PM   #1
mike7.62

Rossi 92 .357/38spl. should I buy

My lgs has a nice rossi blued 20" .357/38spl. for about $450.00 I think thats a little on the high side. But the trigger feels good, action fairly smooth and fit & finish good They also have 2 in 44mag one 20" same $$ as the .357 and a 24" octagon for $499.99 I own 3 .38spl. hand guns and no .44mag firearms at all. so I'm thinking of getting the .357mag. I've read that they won't chamber the .38's If this is true is there a fix for It?
Old January 24, 2013, 04:42 PM   #2
smee78

I have an older Rossi/Interarms pre safety 357 model and it shoots 38spl just fine. I liked mine so much that when my LGS got in another older Rossi 45LC that I did not even think about it. They have been great guns, the only thing to think about is that if you run alot of 38's you will need to clean the chamber good before trying to chamber a 357.
Old January 24, 2013, 05:57 PM   #3
shafter

Mine chambers 38's just fine. HP's, Semiwadcutters, RN, and JSP all load flawlessly in either caliber. Go for it, they are super shooters.

BTW, mine has worked great but due to the amount of feeding issues I hear online, if I were to ever buy another I might make up a batch of dummy cartridges with various bullet types and try feeding them. I imagine a gunshop wouldn't mind if they were no powder or primer. Never asked though.
Old January 25, 2013, 11:49 AM   #4
gak

Go for it - I assume current/new "Rossi" brand (Rossi/Braztech) vs older... Anyway, I and a lot of others don't care for the lawyer'd redundant-fukakta safety lever/switch on recent-era (over a decade now except some pre 2006 EMFs out there), but if bothers is "fixable" via Steve Young's (aka Nate Kiowa Jones www.stevesgunz.com) plug and/or his plug/peep sight combo.
Great selection - enjoy!
Old January 25, 2013, 01:20 PM   #5
DealHunter

Just got one myself not long ago (so also one of the newer ones), action is good and smoothly chambers all .38s and .357s of all different cartridge lengths I've tried. Mine's the 16 inch blued w. the big loop and I'm guessing you'd get a little more velocity out of a 20 inch barrel which can be nice for hunting. They handle well too!
Old January 25, 2013, 08:11 PM   #6
qqq1

I just picked up a rossi 44. Haven't even had it out to shoot yet. I had picked up some blazer aluminum rounds a couple months ago so I tried cycling them through. One round would make it through and nothing else would come out of the tube. I was worried that it wasn't working but I found a post where a guy said his runs everything great but it will not kick blazer aluminum out of the tube. Hopefully I have the same results. Can't wait to shoot it. I want to get one of these followers to replace the garbage plastic they put in it.

http://thesmithshop.com/magfollow.html

Wish he had an ebay store or something better than "fill out this pdf and send your money".
Old January 26, 2013, 02:39 PM   #7
gak

qqq1 - again the one to go to is www.stevesgunz.com (Steve Young, aka Nate Kiowa Jones) - for the follower as well.