The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 10, 2013, 12:52 AM   #1
bstandaert22

Advice on restoring remington 33 .22cal

Hi,
I currently have a remington 33 that belonged to my grandfather that was mu my grandfathers first firearm and it is was also my first rifle as he died shortly before my birth and it was left to me. That being said it is of great sentimental value but, not of much cash value according to my research. I'm willing to put up to 100 dollars into the rifle as it has a good amount of cosmetic damage to the stock and has a fair build up of rust any tips for restoration?
Old January 10, 2013, 01:53 AM   #2
alex0535

If you decide to refinish the stock, instead of trying to sand dints and dings out of the stock, cover the imperfection with a heavy cloth and use an iron to steam the wood. The wood swells and the dint is lessened or gone.

There is a lot of helpful advice on youtube as many others have filmed themselves refinishing gunstocks.

How bad is the rust? Have you taken the action off the stock to get a better look inside?
Old January 11, 2013, 12:08 AM   #3
bstandaert22

The isn't much rust in the action. Ive tried getting the rust off with oil and steel wool/cloth but there is still a rusty tent to the barrel
Old January 11, 2013, 01:10 AM   #4
hoghunting

You should be able to strip the stock by rubbing it down with a rag saturated with lacquer thinner as the finish is probably varnish.
Old January 11, 2013, 09:28 AM   #5
triggerman770

Rem 33

for the rust I use a product called Evaporust. I have a 40" SS bluing pan and let it soak over night. it sometimes leaves the bluing and gets the rust.
I left the barrel of a late 1700's fowling piece in for a week and it got the rust
inside and out. I have had 5 22's from Win 62a;s to rem 510-514 series that were total disasters come in and the customers wanted the same as you. The sentimental value was the driving force.
good luck
www.georgiacarry.org