The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 30, 2012, 03:18 PM   #1
pumkin

?? advice on brand of lower parts kit - AR

I'm trying to put together an AR-15. I have a couple stripped receivers. S&W mp 15 and a Noveske. I am looking at buying a lower parts kit. I've seen them advertised as large pin and small pin. I believe thats the size for the trigger, but not sure? I dont know what size pin to get. I think the pins size has to be the size of holes on my receiver? Anyone know what size holes are on these two receivers I mentioned? Also, the lower parts kits I've been seeing are CMMG, Delton, Rock River w/ basic trigger, and DPMS. Anyone have a preferance on these different kits, or think one is better than others. Most these kits are over $100.00 right now. Most of them don't specify whether, they are large pin or small pin.
Any posts would be appreciated on this. I want to buy the right kit the first time. Also, if anyone has any other suggestions, I'm all ears.
Old December 30, 2012, 06:22 PM   #2
CTS

To my knowledge, only Colt has a large or small pin trigger. All others should be small pin. The are talking about the trigger pins so if you have a set of calipers you could measure them and be certain but again, unless you have a Colt receiver I don't think you need to worry about a large pin LPK.
Old December 30, 2012, 06:27 PM   #3
Quentin2

Don't worry about it, you have small pin lowers and you'd have to make quite an effort to buy a LPK that isn't small pin. During the AWB Colt used larger pivot/takedown/trigger/hammer pins but no more. Not saying you couldn't buy the wrong kit but don't worry about it, as they will specify if it's a large pin LPK. If not specified, then it will be small pin.

Daniel Defense, PSA and Stag put together a nice LPK. My last one was PSA and I liked it a lot. Price and availability are your main problems now, not pin size.
Old December 30, 2012, 09:35 PM   #4
pumkin

thank you, those two answers worked.
Old December 30, 2012, 10:00 PM   #5
bbamericanb

I just finished a lower with LWRC's lower deluxe parts kit and it worked great. Good Luck.