The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 1, 2011, 12:32 AM   #1
shootniron

Car Carry

Do any of you guys know where to find "holsters" as such for mounting a handgun where it will be accessible in a car. My uncle asked me yesterday if I knew of any type holster that he could get and I have seen them but do not remember who offered them.

Thanks
Old May 1, 2011, 12:52 AM   #2
egor20

Just up front, I have to say, I've never used one of these, but I saw one in the the catalog I received yesterday.

http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=418197

I hope that's what your looking for.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old May 1, 2011, 04:55 AM   #3
Kreyzhorse

My buddy uses this and loves it. Has a towel down that covers the seat and holster if he isn't in the vehicle.

http://shopholsters.com/desantis-kin...t-holster.html
Old May 1, 2011, 05:59 AM   #4
spacecoast

Make sure you know the laws in your state - in Florida a car gun has to be completely encased in the center console, the glove box or in a lock box.
Old May 1, 2011, 07:51 AM   #5
MLeake

spacecoast, that is incorrect. Florida allows glove compartment, center console, snapped holster, gun case... It has to be secured, not locked.

Look it up yourself.
Old May 1, 2011, 11:17 AM   #6
spacecoast

I stand corrected, however the advice is still valid. Also, from what I hear, LEOs don't take kindly to looking in a car and seeing a gun, holstered or not.
Old May 1, 2011, 11:23 AM   #7
WhiskeyTango

When I had my Jeep Cherokee, I just took an old Kydex holster I had that the belt clip had broken off of and mounted it under the dash. Don't make yourself believe you have to buy a "car gun holster", with a little ingenuity you can figure something out with one you might have laying around.

I will agree with the previous posts too, make sure you check your local laws. Some states have "3 Action Laws" if it takes you three or more actions to get to your gun and fire it it's not considered concealed. Here in Colorado you can carry concealed in the car with no permit. And i'm sure there is a state out there that you can't even have a gun in you car.

Member-RMGO, Member-NRA, NRA Certified RSO
Old May 1, 2011, 10:54 PM   #8
ClydeFrog

Florida state gun laws; Mylicensesite.com

To my understanding, in Florida, the firearm must be fully encased or in a holster, not just left out in the open.
The state laws & SOPs are listed here; www.Mylicensesite.com .
As for vehicle holsters I know DeSantis markets a rig that holds a handgun on the driver seat. I'm not quite sure of any other types.

While I drive a vehicle, I keep a loaded pistol or revolver in a secured Plano or Docosil type plastic case(with a TSA lock).
Old May 1, 2011, 11:09 PM   #9
BarryLee

I think the NRA sells a cheap one at their on-line store.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old May 2, 2011, 11:34 PM   #10
ClydeFrog

Fobus, Bruce Nelson...

I think Israeli holster company Fobus had a vehicle rig for some common pistol models but you'd need to contact them directly.
As a teen, I remember a few gun/Soldier of Fortune articles about holster maker & former state narcotics agent Bruce Nelson making console type holsters for large vans/RVs.
Nelson has passed since then but his holster systems may still be available from custom makers like Milt Sparks, Mitch Rosen, Ted Blocker or Ken Null.

CF
ps; I think the DeSantis rig is called the "Jamican Carry", .
Old May 3, 2011, 10:47 PM   #11
chp1911

I took a Blackhawk Sportster serpa and removed the paddle from it and bent a sheet metal bracket on a brake and attached it to the holster. I have one for the truck ,one for the reloading room and one for the office.If you are handy you can do this your self in a couple of hours including disassembly, bending and painting the metal and attaching the newly fabricated "hideout" holster to where ever you would like to have a spare shootin' iron handy!
Old May 29, 2011, 08:50 PM   #12
Brandon.Glidden

Heres additional information to you guys wanting to carry firearms in a vehicle in florida. A firearm may be carried anywhere inside a vehicle as long as its securely encased. Securely encased means in a snapped holster, gun case, purse, a snapped box, etc. Even in the glove box it has to be securely encased. the firearm becomes concealed when it isnt securely encased and alot of FL police officers themselves dont understand this statute. So if you get stopped by the police and your firearm is securely encased, my opinion would be to let them take you to jail and ill almost bet youll come out 100k richer.
Old May 29, 2011, 08:52 PM   #13
Brandon.Glidden

this is for people without concealed carry permits. CCP holders can store a firearm concealed anywhere not in a holster however they want. And please, do not listen to anyone who says there is a three step process, that is false, and the person who told you that doesnt know the florida statutes.