The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old July 6, 2010, 08:53 PM   #1
nobody.special

Legal to build a Hi-cap magazine?

Ok... so you can buy commercial hi-cap magazines for all sorts of firearms, but can a person build one for themself?
I'm not interested in producing a bunch for sale, I just want to build a 25-30 round hi-cap for my hi-point 995 but I only want to if it is legal. I've seen several posts where others have worked on building a drum for the 995, and I've been debating about it a while, but am concerned about the legal aspects involved with the ATF. I live in MT where we have very relaxed gun laws so I am not concerned about local laws prohibiting, just federal / ATF laws...
I am interested in peoples opinions and arguements, but if anyone can point to actual references that would be very beneficial...
Thanks...
Old July 6, 2010, 10:46 PM   #2
NavyLT

There are no restrictions in Federal law or in Montana law. You can build them. You can patent them. You can sell them. You can make profit from them... Assuming you first obtain the proper business license and collect/pay the appropriate sales tax if you are going to do it as a business.
Old July 7, 2010, 03:07 AM   #3
ISC

You can still builkd them. If another 1994 "crime bill" ban gets passed you'll be out of luck.

I think the best way to go about building a hi cap for the hi point would be to braze a tower to a Suomi drum. You'd need to add a chain of 12 or 13 dummy rounds to push the ammo through the tower though.

I've often wondered if it would be possible to modify the high point to accept a different mag such as the S&W or glock. I think there's enough room in the grip for it. I've said a hundred times that if the hipoint could accept another standard hi cap mag I'd own several.

They really missed the mark there when they designed it.

Tags
995 hi-cap , atf , capacity , law , pre-ban