The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 8, 2010, 10:06 AM   #1
fpchief

where can i get a digital scale at?

NOt really much for sporting goods(reloading supplies) around here. I think my digital scale is fubar. Any idea where else would carry those things??
Old May 8, 2010, 10:09 AM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Literally hundreds of online sources....

midwayusa
midsouthshooterssupply
ebay

hundreds and hundreds more.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=digital+reloading+scale
Old May 8, 2010, 11:10 AM   #3
hammie

As Mr, Pizza Killer said:
midwayusa.com or grafs.com
Old May 8, 2010, 01:41 PM   #4
fpchief

yea, tons online, looking to find one today-now-right now...
Old May 8, 2010, 01:59 PM   #5
Lost Sheep

Fix the one you've got?

Some digital scales are affected by magnetic/electrical fields around them, and we are constantly exposed.

Do you live underneath power lines? Do you have your scale mounted near where an electrical run is hidden inside a wall? Is there a flourescent light or electric motor anywhere near your scale?

Distance is your (scale's) friend. If moving the scale away from sources of interference does not cure your scale's ills, perhaps you could post a description of what it is doing. (I realize the implications of "beyond all recognition", but is there a pattern of any kind?)

Personally, I prefer a balance-beam. I understand them. I can diagnose them. I might even be able to fix them. I could build one from scratch if I were so inclined. But I do recognize the speed and convenience of the electronics, especially the ones attached to powder dispensers. Neat and fast and accurate, but I don't trust them.

Lost Sheep
Old May 8, 2010, 05:09 PM   #6
LakeCruiser

Harbor Frieght or Sportsman's Guide

They have some pretty good deals. I picked up a little digital scale at Harbor Freight a while back and it has performed well. They are both discount suppliers and are sometimes out of item and/or have substitutes for them....

http://www.harborfreight.com/

or

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/

Good luck.
Old May 8, 2010, 07:57 PM   #7
Dave P

So is the OP gonna give us some feedback?? Right here right now??
Old May 8, 2010, 09:26 PM   #8
fpchief

Sorry i did not give feedback quick enough...Yep, harbor freight did the job. I forgot all about them. Still unsure of what the deal is with my nice one. No cell phone near, no power lines to speak of, but now thinking of it, there are a few air search radars where i live. Wonder if they could affect it. Scale would settle on a measurement (25gr.) and would fluctuate +-.2 as you watch it. Thank yall for the help..
Old May 8, 2010, 09:52 PM   #9
steveono33

RCBS 10 10

Dont mess up and go fancy with the digital. i shoot BR, and got a very expensive one. My groups grew with every handload, so I got another top notch brand. Same thing, after talking with many BR shooters, they told me to get a magnetic RCBS 10 10 i think is the model, or even the lower cost one works just as good. Since then Ive never looked back. Its been proven that any magnetic, electric, or even the slightest thing interferes with the digital ones, they read incorrect. but to each his own, Midway has one from frankford Arsenal for like $25 a small one. But if your for accuracy, go with a good regular scale
Old May 8, 2010, 10:30 PM   #10
Edward429451

I agree. Just because it is digital don't anyone think that it's more accurate than a beam scale, even if it as an extra digit lol. My RCBS 5-0-5 is 25 years old and I trust it implicitly.
Old May 9, 2010, 12:02 AM   #11
bedlamite

The digital scales under $100 sold to reloaders just plain suck. This is probably the cheapest scale I would trust:

http://www.oldwillknottscales.com/my...empro-500.aspx
Old May 9, 2010, 03:06 PM   #12
qcpunk

I have a digital scale and it sees very little use. I might use my digi for quick here and there weight measurements, maybe checking bullet weights, and anything else I want a quick measure of. The rest of the time, for my powder charges, I only use my RCBS 5-0-5.

My digi display will bounce +/- .05 even with the room closed off, no EMF sources, such as flouscent lighting, power cords, cell phone, radio, tv, a/c... I believe I've used this one before but....

You can't turn gravity off, and you can't distort gravity here on Earth.
"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it or their revolutionary right to dismember it or overthrow it." --Abraham Lincoln