The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 7, 2010, 07:26 AM   #1
polska

Foreign reloading equipment

I was just curious if any foreign countries make reloading equipment.I see post from all over the world and they seem to be using Lee or RCBS or some other American based company.Do Great Britain or Australia or Switzerland or other countries with shooters have there own home grown companies?
Old May 7, 2010, 08:58 AM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

Years ago there was an article in Rifleman, probably in the 1970s, about shooting in Russia. A guy went over and spent some time shooting with various Russian teams.

He went to a "gun store" that had reloading supplies. IIRC nothing for metallic cartridge reloading, but they did have for shotshells. The whole rig looked like something out of the mid 1880s in the US. A VERY simple "press" and push rods that were used to insert the wad, dippers for powder and shot. VERY crude and slow.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old May 7, 2010, 10:05 AM   #3
vranasaurus

I don't think the market in these coutnries is large enough to support home grown reloading equipment. I could be wrong though.
Old May 7, 2010, 11:44 AM   #4
TATER

SmartReloader is UK based is it not?
Old May 8, 2010, 04:51 AM   #5
polska

I was hoping some of our overseas members would kick in. I know Great Britian had Parker Hale and AJ Parker they made some great sights and shooting gear but I don't know about reloading.Could this be something we actually have a monopoly on?
Old May 8, 2010, 12:38 PM   #6
lgsracer

Simplex Australia

They make a dies, presses and other accessories. They don't have a website I could find but here is one of their dealers websites:

http://www.jansa.com.au/simplex7.php

Their dies come in standard 7/8 and also 5/8.
Old May 9, 2010, 04:03 AM   #7
draggon

I'm not sure the Simplex stuff is actually made in Australia anymore. Definitely used to be decades ago and it was sturdy indeed.

The designs of the larger presses are loosely based on Redding but not as well finished.

All the important details are there, strength, alignment etc but they had a few sharp edges and burrs on the threads (cut my hand first time I used mine) and second rate paint job. Mind you this is a couple of decades ago now.

Given the pricing and availability of US made stuff downunder and the relatively small market, it would be hard to justify a stand alone production facility.
Old May 9, 2010, 02:54 PM   #8

Hi Guys
This is my first post on this forum so just saying hello really. I'm in the UK and we make hardly any reloading gear or even much shooting related stuff . We are nearly all using the usual RCBS/Lee/Lyman stuff but it is all very expensive here - I was just reading another thread where someone was buying powder for $14 a pound - We are paying around £30 or $45 a pound.

The problem is that the market is just so small here for anything other than "run of the mill" stuff.

Here is something we do have that I don't think has made its way to you yet.

www.targetmasteruk.com

Old May 10, 2010, 07:40 AM   #9
mapsjanhere

A quick check at the big German online catalogs showed only US based equipment, and some stuff that looked like RCBS rebranded in yellow plastic instead of green as a house brand.
Old May 10, 2010, 12:13 PM   #10
cgaengineer

Does the fact that nearly everything is made in China these days count? Even some RCBS stuff is made in China.