The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 7, 2009, 07:00 AM   #1
roy reali

Starlings?

Are there any starling shooters here? If so, you'll enjoy this.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090906/...ost_hated_bird

I use them for preseason warm up!

How would you like to be near the top of that skyscraper with a shotgun?
Old September 7, 2009, 07:13 AM   #2
12-34hom

They are great 22 fodder, they overwhelm my bird feeders. Hi- velocity h.p. really zap there little heads out of my Marlin 39a.....

They just keep coming back for more, stubborn, very aggressive birds.

12-34hom
This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life. I must master itas i master my life.Without me my rifle is useless, without my rifle i am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I Will. Before God i swear this creed. My rifle and myself are defenders of my country. We are masters of our enemy. We are saviours of my life. So be it until there is no enemy, but peace. Amen.
Old September 7, 2009, 03:04 PM   #3
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Starlings taught me to shoot 50 some years ago. No matter how I tried I couldn't put a dent in their population but I dropped a lot of them.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old September 7, 2009, 04:14 PM   #4
roklok

I have killed thousands of them, no exageration. Back on the farm in PA it was a constant battle keeping ahead of them. I HATED them, but they were fun to shoot. I dont see any here in AK.
Old September 7, 2009, 04:21 PM   #5
JWT

Dispatched many of them with my Red Ryder many years ago. Years later I used a Crossman pellet gun. Both were effective but didn't make a dent in the population. Miserable birds....
Old September 8, 2009, 06:03 AM   #6
GojuBrian

I remember one weekend when I was a kid shooting over 500 of them with a friend of mine. We were morbid little turds.
Old September 8, 2009, 07:30 AM   #7
Uncle Buck

I hate them birds. Can you believe there are actually groups out there that advocate NOT killing them? They want you to feed them special food containing a chemical that sterilizes them (The birds, not the bird advocates!).

We have shot them with everything from the daisy bb guns to shotguns and we never seem to be able to make a dent in the population.

My first scoped "Rifle" was a crossman pellet gun, bought just for shooting starlings off of Grammas' bird feeders.
Old September 8, 2009, 08:14 AM   #8
Legionnaire

Used to shoot them by the hundreds with a Beeman R7 out at my in-laws' place in Lancaster County. My father-in-law preferred a CZ452 shooting CBs. Good shooting either way.
Old September 8, 2009, 11:28 AM   #9
Scorch

They are great for target practice! 22LR out to 150 yds, and the targets never disappear. I read once that if every man, woman and child in the USA (roughly 300 million) would go out every day and kill 1 starling, it would take 10 years to eliminate them. Well, since only about 5-10% of the US population hunts, that means every hunter would have to go out and kill 20 per day to eliminate them within 10 years. Get busy!
Old September 9, 2009, 11:09 AM   #10
FrontSight

I used to eat them until I found out what they like to eat. Ugh, worse than city pidgeons....