The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 10, 2009, 08:20 PM   #1
jal5

Problem with Uniflow powder measure and Unique

I am loading 38 spl, 3.9gr Unique in one batch and 4.0 gr in a second batch. First time using the Uniflow. Followed directions and ran about 1/2 lb of powder through it. Ran my first loads to be as close to 3.6gr as I could get it then wanted to weigh the charge and trickle up to 3.9 or 4.0.

That measuring rod confuses me, do you set the measurement as the mark under the lock nut, which is the only mark you can see, or above the lock nut but you cannot see that once it is tightened down? I set it as the mark under it only to get very high readings. I finally moved it between 0 and 1 which threw a charge of 3.6 gr.

Secondly, throwing the powder into the cup for the scale resulted in a small amount of powder flying out all over the bench top. Whats the correct way to do this? Is it the Unique which is flake shaped or am i messing up?

Thanks.
Joe
Old February 10, 2009, 08:31 PM   #2
dlb435

The Uniflow works best with ball powders. Read the directions again. Flake powders will vary a little from charge to charge. As long as the drift is within the range of load for that caliber, you will be OK. I don't understand why you are getting powder thrown out. You press the cartdidge up against the mouth and all of the powder will go in the case.
Old February 10, 2009, 08:45 PM   #3
Shoney

Flake powders like Unique will "bridge" from the weight of the powder above, making it drop in uneven amounts, When you install double baffles in the measure, it makes the powder drops more consistent.

See the pattern for baffles which can be cut out from pop can aluminum at:
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=304280
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old February 10, 2009, 08:56 PM   #4
RamSlammer

Unique is very versatile, but it measures with difficulty from most powder dispensers. I came across a deal and now own 16 pounds of the stuff and am finding it's best used in target loads where +/- 2-3/10ths of a grain are not a big deal. I'd never try loading something small like .380 ACP with it unless weighing each charge.
Old February 10, 2009, 09:12 PM   #5
jal5

DLB-
I was weighing each case since I was unsure of the weight of the charges. So I was dropping the charges into the scale cup, it was flying out of that cup.

I will try the double baffle idea. thanks.