The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 15, 2008, 12:34 PM   #1
kplender

Recommendation for Handgun Safe

I am looking for a Handgun Safe to put under my bed. I need it to have quick/easy access to my handgun for personal defense. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance!!
Old September 15, 2008, 08:47 PM   #2
tranks

i've heard some good things about GunVault safes, but i don't have any experience with them and i don't know anybody that has one.

"Stan, what did I tell you about watching the Osbournes? It's going to make you retarded!" Stan's Mom (south park)
Old September 15, 2008, 10:19 PM   #3
CortJestir

Here's a quick recap of the multitude of GunVault discussions 'round here and other forums:
  • Quick, easy access
  • Don't get the biometric ones
  • They use a lock that can easily be broken into with a pen or screwdriver
  • They are fine for keeping kids and curious guests from getting to your goodies, but will not keep out a determined thief (see previous bullet point)
  • Most folks who have one like them and accept the mechanical locks shortcomings
That being said, I have one and I like it quite a bit. I keep it bolted to a shelf on my nightstand.
Old September 16, 2008, 06:23 AM   #4
MP5

Consider a Secure-It box: a simple steel lockbox with foam inserts and a cable you can loop around another object. Available in two sizes. You can get them from Cabelas, Midway, etc.
Old September 17, 2008, 08:42 PM   #5
The Great Mahoo

Anyone know of anything a bit more secure than the Gun Vault? I have been looking into one, and while security isn't exactly the highest priority, it sounds as if they are too easily defeated. I'd prefer if it were fire-resistant too.

Perhaps the better option is just not to put it in plain sight and not worry about determined openers.
Old September 18, 2008, 12:25 AM   #6
tranks

i've seen some normal safes at places like menards and fleet farm for a decent price, under $150. big enough to put a couple pistols and other belongings in. they would work, you won't have quick access but it will have a better fire rating.

"Stan, what did I tell you about watching the Osbournes? It's going to make you retarded!" Stan's Mom (south park)
Old September 19, 2008, 11:42 AM   #7
a1abdj

Quote:
I'd prefer if it were fire-resistant too.
Two points:

Be very careful storing firearms in any fire resistant safe. Most inexpensive fire resistant safes use insulations that contain high levels of moisture. This will create a very humid condition within the safe, and can rust your firearms. On another forum, one of the members was given a Sentry fire resistant safe. They placed a hygrometer inside the safe over night, and it detected over 80% humidity.

Also, most inexpensive fire rated safes are simply a fire box with a privacy latch. They may look like a safe, but do not have the same features found in other safes designed to prevent burglary. These safes are great for protecting paperwork, but should not be used to store valuables.