The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 15, 2015, 02:15 PM   #1
Mr.RevolverGuy

Triple threat: Alaskan454 – pinnacle high performance

Thanks to Mark Hartshorne at Pinnacle High Performance (http://www.pinnacle-guns.com/) this Ruger Redhawk Alaskan has become my favorite hand canon.

Over the past couple of years the Alaskan has been on a journey to become personalized. It just so happened I decided to complete this project after my lovely wife presented me a gift of classy burl grips for Christmas. Full review of the grips can be read about here http://www.dayattherange.com/?p=4454

The appearance after the addition of these grips were absolutely amazing. At this point there was only one last thing to do. Turn this revolver into the most versatile revolver I own, capable of being deployed in any situation, I didn't say perfect for every situation but capable of getting the job done in self defense, trail hiking defense and limited range hunting. Since the original purchase, even before the background check was complete I was thinking Triple Threat. A revolver capable of firing 45ACP, 45LC and 454Casull.

Additional pictures of this Ruger Alaskan and Mark's great work can be seen here http://www.dayattherange.com/?p=4551
Old February 15, 2015, 07:38 PM   #2
Hunter Customs

Very nice revolver and should handle any situation you get in where you need a handgun.

As for Mark's work, Mark is a very talented pistolsmith, does exceptional work.
I heard Mark got out of the business, good to hear he's still doing work.

I think the last time I saw Mark and spoke with him was back in 2000 the last of my pin shooting days.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
Old February 15, 2015, 08:03 PM   #3
Mr.RevolverGuy

I believe that rumor was started from him moving into a new building. I am guessing as that's what's posted on his website. When I spoke with him I did not ask about that.
Old February 15, 2015, 11:48 PM   #4
seeker_two

Since it already uses moon clips, will it also chamber .45 Winchester Magnum?
Old February 16, 2015, 12:04 AM   #5
Darker Loaf

Wow, YOU ARE MY HERO! I've wanted to build a .45 ACP/.454 Casull Super Redhawk for a long time. I am so jealous, but happy to know that it's a possible dream and that someone is living it!

It seems like you've built damn near the perfect all-around revolver. You have .45 ACP for cheap practice (and it's not a bad cartridge by any definition) and you have .454 for hunting/bear.

VERY COOL.

I'd make mine the 7.5" Super Redhawk, but you've basically built my dream, otherwise. You sir, are an inspiration. Heh.
Old February 16, 2015, 03:26 AM   #6
Webleymkv

Quote:
Since it already uses moon clips, will it also chamber .45 Winchester Magnum?
Unless there is something I don't understand about the custom work, the OP's revolver should be able to chamber and fire .45 Winchester Magnum, .45 Super, .460 Rowland, .45 GAP, and .45 Schofield in addition to the .45 ACP, .45 Long Colt, and .454 Casull cartridges that he mentioned.
Old February 16, 2015, 09:04 AM   #7
Magnum Wheel Man

interesting... I have a 454 Alaskan... how do the 454's eject with the moon clips ( any difference, with more of the case unsupported ??? ) how are they sizing ??? I assume there is a bulge at the web???
Old February 16, 2015, 11:27 AM   #8
Mr.RevolverGuy

45ACP only requires the moonclips. The other calibers continue to work as normal without moonclips. I have fired some Factory Hornady 454 rounds out of it and there were no bulge or balooning in the web. I actually prefer firing my 460 than the Hornady 454 loads even in my 460 Xframe they seem to be so hot and there was no buldging.

You gave me a great idea to take a few pictures of the fired cases and post them
Old February 16, 2015, 11:33 AM   #9
jglsprings

I have only a casual acquaintance with the 454, and none with a short barrel 454. What loads do you typically shoot in this weapon?

The full power loads must be fearsome.

Love the stocks/grips - beautiful grain.

Commas save lives...
Old February 16, 2015, 11:34 AM   #10
Magnum Wheel Man

reason I was concerned, is the 454 would have excessive headspace without ta moon clip, & they are such high pressure...

when I 1st bought my Alaskan... the forum consensus was " I was going to whack myself in the head"

so... I strong armed the gun more than needed on the 1st cylinder full, & jumped crimps on 3 out of 6 of the factory loads...

it does have an incredible muzzle blast out of a snubbie...

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; February 16, 2015 at 11:44 AM.
Old February 16, 2015, 02:15 PM   #11
Hunter Customs

I'm sure there's a lot of muzzle blast in a snubby chambered in 454.
However if you come up against a big bear and don't hit him you should at least singe his hair.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
Old February 16, 2015, 05:09 PM   #12
Mr.RevolverGuy

Magnum Wheel Man

I am not trying to get you to go to my website as I do not benefit from it -- I have no advertisers in keeping with my purpose of unbiased reviews. There you can see other pictures I have taken. Where I tried to do my best to show headspace doesn't change for the other cartridges.The cartridge still headspaces on the rim of the cylinder like normal. There is no need for moonclips on 45LC or 454Casull. I will try and get a good picture when I get home to post here also.

There are great pictures to see how the cylinder is milled also.

I also agree with Magnum that you have to learn how to ride with the recoil. It is actually not that bad to shoot it is just the percussion to me, sort of reminds me of throwing hand grenades on the range while in the Corps.

Last edited by Mr.RevolverGuy; February 16, 2015 at 05:16 PM.
Old February 16, 2015, 05:18 PM   #13
Magnum Wheel Man

just an FYI... I'm not doubting that it works, or personally questioning anyone... I only reason as such... that once the firing pin hits the primer, that the fired case is going to be forced back against the recoil shield, under pressure, & if there is clearance for a moon clip, the case has extra distance to travel under pressure of firing... I'd think that this would result in the thickness of the moon clip unsupported at the base of the case, under pressure, until the bullet leaves the barrel...

... perhaps the timing is such, with the snubbie length barrel, that the case doesn't get pushed beyond it's elasticity ??? I wonder if the same would be true of a 6" or 8" barrel???
Old February 16, 2015, 05:30 PM   #14
Mr.RevolverGuy

Magnum

I did not take offense in anyway apologies if my last post came across that way.

That's what I was saying the other pictures sort of show what I am doing a poor jog at describing. The milling does not change the way the 454 headspaces at all.

There is no space between the recoil shield and the cylinder that has not changed from the original or factory.

I will try to post a picture later.

Last edited by Mr.RevolverGuy; February 16, 2015 at 05:50 PM.
Old February 16, 2015, 05:31 PM   #15
Mr.RevolverGuy

Follow up to try and answer the headspace question

Old February 16, 2015, 07:07 PM   #16
22-rimfire

Very cool. Glad you're happy with it. I bet shooting factory loaded 454's out of it are a handfull. I would love to own a 480 Ruger version of the Alaskan but really have no real use for it. Just would like to have one.

If Ruger made one in 41 mag, I would have to bite.
Old February 16, 2015, 10:42 PM   #17
JayCee

I put the same set of grips on my Alaskan. The inserts are by Chig's Grips, and they're excellent craftsmanship at a very reasonable price.

The only drawback is that shooting a full power load of 296/H110 isn't very pleasant with these grips. The original Hogue "Tamer" grips do a better job of cushioning the recoil, so I generally stay away from the really heavy loads. My usual 454 "plinking" load is a 255 grain hardcast at around 1400 fps out of a 6 inch Freedom Arms Model 83. I haven't chono'd that load out of the Alaskan, but it's reasonably pleasant to shoot.

I don't have any need for the 45ACP moonclip conversion, since I handload and can load 45 Colt from mild to wild.

A lot of horsepower in a relatively small package...

“If I owned Texas and hell, I'd rent out Texas and live in hell.” - General Phillip H. Sheridan
Old February 17, 2015, 01:19 AM   #18
mellow_c

Very nice!

I shot one of those once with full power 454's. I did pretty well with it! However I'd end up with only one hand on the gun after every shot thinking "Wow! Time to reset!"

I hope you put a lot of rounds through that gun, your gonna love it!
Old February 17, 2015, 05:50 AM   #19
peggysue

Only about $200 for the cylinder surgery and clips to add 45ACP to my Alaskan. Got me thinking.

Last edited by peggysue; February 17, 2015 at 06:00 AM.
Old February 17, 2015, 08:54 AM   #20
jtmckinney

Another "Thumbs Up" good job!

If you ever try 45 Win Mag please let us know the results. I have always been interested in that cartridge.
When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; When I am stronger than you, I take away your freedoms because that is according to my principles. Frank Herbert "Children of Dune"
Old February 17, 2015, 07:18 PM   #21
Mr.RevolverGuy

peggysue $200 where did that number come from?

It was below half that price.
Old February 18, 2015, 05:31 AM   #22
peggysue

This links http://www.tkcustom.com/content/machine.asp. $150 for machining, $50 for shipping and moon clips. EST. I think it is a good price.

Last edited by peggysue; February 18, 2015 at 05:37 AM.
Old February 18, 2015, 07:15 PM   #23
peggysue

How did you get it done for below $100 Mr Revolver? I would like that...link please...
Old February 19, 2015, 12:16 AM   #24
Darker Loaf

I've looked at TK Custom myself. It's nice that you can just send the cylinder in. TK Customs must be a legitimate service, too, as they are S&W's standard for moonclips. It's very tempting for .454's or even .460's. It really makes me want to buy a magnum revolver as my next gun.
Old February 19, 2015, 08:59 AM   #25
22-rimfire

I was visiting Gander Mountain yesterday (believe it or not for the first time since they opened last fall) in my area. Handled the Alaskan in 44 mag to refresh my memory. That is a big hunk of iron! I still lust for one in 480 Ruger, but have absolutely no need or use for it. It would be one of those revolvers that probably gets shot twice a year unless for some reason I saw a future need. In which case, I would practice and get a bit more comfortable with the beast.